Landon Tice vs. Bill Perkins - Headsup match begins June 2 (chat/comments)

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
###Breaking News####

The HU battle is over, and Perky has won. Head over to Landon's twitter page, but it looks like he forfeited. Is this a troll, or is it really over?

https://twitter.com/LandonTice/status/1411458632869322752

I can't wait to see the CC write-up/ interview on this one @ Shells

Last edited:
Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
###Breaking News####

The HU battle is over, and Perky has won. Head over to Landon's twitter page, but it looks like he forfeited. Is this a troll, or is it really over?

https://twitter.com/LandonTice/status/1411458632869322752

I can't wait to see the CC write-up/ interview on this one @ Shells

Yep, just read it myself. Landon's Twitter feed was blowing up there for a bit. It takes a big person to admit defeat with anything, in my opinion, and because of that and the fact Landon IS a good poker player, he will be someone I will watch out for in the future. A part of me wonders how he would change the terms going into the challenge (if he ever had a chance to do it over again) but I doubt we will ever really know.

The CardsChat article written by Jon Sofen is linked below.

Landon Tice Waves the White Flag: Bill Perkins Tougher than Expected

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hmmm, I'm just wading through the Doug Polk podcast (almost 3 hours, yikes) on the duel with guests who have real heads up expertise and some directly invloved in the Tice coaching and none of it makes sense.

They were only 25% into the challenge and the match was basically even. Yes, Tice would have had to pick up the pace to recoup the 720,000K...but it really appears as if Tice might not be the phenom people thought and his backers and coaches lost faith.

Also interesting is the fact Polk says he has played Perkins a lot in recent times and he noticed Perkins was removing mistakes from his game- not quite the fish people think (myself) when in a focused environment as opposed to his goofy play style on TV.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep, just read it myself. Landon's Twitter feed was blowing up there for a bit. It takes a big person to admit defeat with anything, in my opinion, and because of that and the fact Landon IS a good poker player, he will be someone I will watch out for in the future. A part of me wonders how he would change the terms going into the challenge (if he ever had a chance to do it over again) but I doubt we will ever really know.

The CardsChat article written by Jon Sofen is linked below.

Landon Tice Waves the White Flag: Bill Perkins Tougher than Expected

You are right Shells. Great recap, and that twitter post was heartbreaking. He is young so he has time to get better, and this will just be a blip on the timeline. I just hope that he has good people around him that can lift him up.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes, Landon Tice is going to be an interesting player to follow.

But if you wade through the Doug Polk podcast Tice, his coaches and backers do no come off too well - and as regards the 'heartbreaking' Twitter post, Tice was still not facing reality, it was his backers who pulled the plug and he was upset about it.

Some things which struck me.

Obviously Tice was getting lauded and fluffed as pokers new whizz kid, which might be justified if he stayed in his lane - 6-Max. I had presumed 'backers' had set up the duel but it now appears, Tice getting carried away with himself, booked it himself. They then had to scramble for an inordinate amount of time getting the wager covered.

Kevin Rabichow joined the Tice team as head coach (featured in the podcast he is frank about multiple weaknesses in the buildup) and within weeks realized that Tice was not putting in the HU study he should- he was just enjoying his regular life. Two more coaches joined (ex Polk camp) and they expressed concerns, Nonetheless they all took a serious stake to cover Tice as they still presumed Perkins would 'hand them money'.

However, into the last month before the duel when Tice finally was paying attention to HU study, two of the coaches were so unimpressed with Tice they sold their stakes.

Then, as soon as the duel started it was obvious that Perkins had plugged a lot of leaks, yet Tice seemed adrift with no sign that his grasp of HU was improving. Climbing out if that $720,000 hole (that again, he had booked) looked increasingly out of reach.

So backers and coaches agreed to pull the plug. I would not have pulled the plug so early but I don't have the inside track.

Landon Tice is a very intelligent guy with a serious skill set in 6-Max. I think various poker celebs got carried away bigging him up and Tice bought into it. Sure this is an embarrassing episode but maybe Tice is the type that needed to be levelled before he reaches his true potential. But I do get the feeling he's the type to get his feet back on the ground and start grinding again.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes, Landon Tice is going to be an interesting player to follow.

But if you wade through the Doug Polk podcast Tice, his coaches and backers do no come off too well - and as regards the 'heartbreaking' Twitter post, Tice was still not facing reality, it was his backers who pulled the plug and he was upset about it.

Some things which struck me.

Obviously Tice was getting lauded and fluffed as pokers new whizz kid, which might be justified if he stayed in his lane - 6-Max. I had presumed 'backers' had set up the duel but it now appears, Tice getting carried away with himself, booked it himself. They then had to scramble for an inordinate amount of time getting the wager covered.

Kevin Rabichow joined the Tice team as head coach (featured in the podcast he is frank about multiple weaknesses in the buildup) and within weeks realized that Tice was not putting in the HU study he should- he was just enjoying his regular life. Two more coaches joined (ex Polk camp) and they expressed concerns, Nonetheless they all took a serious stake to cover Tice as they still presumed Perkins would 'hand them money'.

However, into the last month before the duel when Tice finally was paying attention to HU study, two of the coaches were so unimpressed with Tice they sold their stakes.

Then, as soon as the duel started it was obvious that Perkins had plugged a lot of leaks, yet Tice seemed adrift with no sign that his grasp of HU was improving. Climbing out if that $720,000 hole (that again, he had booked) looked increasingly out of reach.

So backers and coaches agreed to pull the plug. I would not have pulled the plug so early but I don't have the inside track.

Landon Tice is a very intelligent guy with a serious skill set in 6-Max. I think various poker celebs got carried away bigging him up and Tice bought into it. Sure this is an embarrassing episode but maybe Tice is the type that needed to be levelled before he reaches his true potential. But I do get the feeling he's the type to get his feet back on the ground and start grinding again.

Landon is a kid...22 years old is a kid and he has a lot of maturing to do and that includes anything to do with poker. He will make mistakes and he will not take things in life seriously - all part of the maturing process. His coaches (and backers) seem to be the voice or the decision-makers for Landon, boosting his ego (which is not hard for any young poker player at the best of times) and naturally, he is going to buy it all with dollar signs in his eyes. My hope is he (and his coaches and any backers) will have learned a hard lesson from all of this and also hope Landon will be in a position to make his own life decisions in the future.

https://twitter.com/LandonTice/status/1411770824634232833

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Agree Shells.

Obviously he got a lot of attention and promotion through individuals who I would say are celebrities within the poker world and they thought Tice could be another. He can...but all in good time.