Jamie Golds 2006 WSOP Bracelet - Sold For $65,725!

D

detourglr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doesnt surprise me.. I think he not a serious poker player. I think he doing so he can make a buck.

U

uarejelly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rick Harrison on Pawn Stars will buy it from him. He probably would only offer him about half of what it is worth because, you know, the market is down and he has overhead.....

he would have bought it 5 years ago for much more but the economy is down and the market is just not there anymore .. :)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So Helmuth probably doesn't need to play poker,
he can make a living just from selling some of his bracelets.

At risk of taking a joke and making a serious post about it... :p

I'm pretty sure Hellmuth has said in interviews before that he only has one or two of his bracelets left (his first Main Event one is definitely one of them) - not because he sold them, but because he gave them away to family members as gifts or something. Struck me as a weird thing to give to someone as a gift, but that's Hellmuth for you...

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Who would pay an exorbitant amount of money for an award won by someone else? Could you imagine someone wearing it in the wsop?

T

TheDarkShadow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jamie can be sucker out. lol

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At risk of taking a joke and making a serious post about it... :p

I'm pretty sure Hellmuth has said in interviews before that he only has one or two of his bracelets left (his first Main Event one is definitely one of them) - not because he sold them, but because he gave them away to family members as gifts or something. Struck me as a weird thing to give to someone as a gift, but that's Hellmuth for you...

Hey Oz looks like you've noticed that You often take my attempted jokes too seriously.

But when I want you to be serious you ignore me.
I was actually hoping for Your thoughts and experienced views on this one:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/gen...t-ruling-inconsistency-too-many-chips-225257/
although tenbob probably nailed it. but still interested in what Oz or Robert's would think about it.

- - - - - - - - - -
Derail aside, Helmuth sure has a strange idea of gifts.
I thought the same when Eastgate sold his, apart from the materials value, why would anyone want something they hadn't won and what could they do with it.
I don't think they have the same value as star memorabilia.
And Jamie Gold's star value?.....
Well I guess we will have to wait for the auction.
(apparently the 'I Have One of These to Sell' button hasn't seen much action yet)

D

durrsfriend1

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty much my thinking around him selling it. His skill won't let him play competitively on a level where his money will. I dunno how he managed to delude himself into thinking he belongs at those games.

He is the type of guy with an ego the size of planet Earth, that would risk way more than necessary at the wrong time to try and prove something, at the wrong time. I think he's good, but ran incredibly well that main event.

B

bluefox117

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think again, he lost millions playing in LA mostly...

They built games around him for awhile at the Commerce.

If you cant spot the fish at the table you probably are the fish.

S

sylpoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not that surprised that he would do this really.Surprised he would need the money though at this time. Maybe something unforeseen happened,that the public doesnt know,or he lost a ton playing poker too..

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
12 mil doesn't go as far as it used to, I guess.

:eek:

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it possible to not be broke and just selling it because well whatever, the bracelet lost it's luster. It was rotting in a drawer somewhere, sure it signifies something special but it's his name that will be remembered.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
P

pocketacesa1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most likely broke. That's gotta hurt losing all of those millions! :stupido2:

A

AcesUp747

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Color me not shocked.

Dude is an arrogant fish, who had an epic heater. Moneymaker was 3x the player Gold was when he won.

ChipEaterMan

ChipEaterMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Amazing to think that now the 2006 and 2007 Main Event champs have had to sell their bracelets. This is when poker had really hit its huge stride in the world and was at it's biggest, and both of them just dissapeared into thin air, only to show up 6-7 years later to declare bankruptcy and sell.

If only a Hellmuth or a Negreanu or a Hansen or just a rookie with some charisma and true love for the game won in just one of those extremely important years, poker may not have had the extremely sharp and vicious downslide it has had over the past 4 years.

I have no sympathy for Gold. And although he was far from the worst thing to happen to poker, he was definately not a good thing either.

ChipEaterMan

ChipEaterMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much did he lose on HSP? The only notable hands I recall are when he lost almost $200k in the AA/KK hand with Farha and then KK vs AJ with Antonius. They got it all in on the turn with top set vs nut straight but ran it 3 times and Gold won twice (so in that hand he ended up about $125k).

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Amazing to think that now the 2006 and 2007 Main Event champs have had to sell their bracelets. This is when poker had really hit its huge stride in the world and was at it's biggest, and both of them just dissapeared into thin air, only to show up 6-7 years later to declare bankruptcy and sell.

FWIW I don't believe Jerry Yang ever pretended to be anything other than a lucky amateur - in fact he steered well clear of shows like High Stakes Poker after his win (unlike Jamie Gold, or other Main Event run-gooders like Dennis Philips). IIRC he ended up bankrupt as a result of stuff outside of poker.

I doubt a lot would have changed over the past four years if a big-name pro had have won instead of Gold or Yang. The US Government still would've gone on its crusade against online poker, and that's been far and away the biggest event in the poker economy during that time. Other than the fad of poker being a "cool" thing to do wearing off, which again was going to happen anyway regardless of whether a Gold or a Yang or an Ivey won the main event.

ChipEaterMan

ChipEaterMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He was staked into the WSOP ME by an old pro (I forgot who). The deal was that half of all winnings went straight to the staker. By the time the tourney came round, he owed over $2m to a combination of other stakers. Upon winning $12m, he handed $8m over immediately. Before leaving Vegas, he'd lost a further estimated $1.2m.

Over the next 2 years, he appeared on high stakes televised games, testing his (lol) "skills" against some of the best around. I saw him trying to talk Doyle Brunson out of hands, and time after time shipped his money to him. After a couple of years, he was nowhere to be seen in the biggest games around, and rumour had it he was back begging for a stake.

I refuse to have any respect for this guy. He is not a good poker player, and never will be. And that isn't jealousy talking. It's the stone cold truth.

As for selling his bracelet -- I wouldn't wanna own it. One of Stu Ungar's bracelets? maybe. One of Doyle's? Hellmuth's? sure, that'd be cool. But Jamie Golds? No thank you.

ChipEaterMan

ChipEaterMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Curse of the WSOP Main Event Champ

1997: Stu Ungar dies about a year and 1/2 after his win.

2001 Winner: Chris "Jesus" Ferguson indicted and settles with the feds.

2003: Not sure Moneymaker's financial status but I understand he did get divorced shortly after his win.

2004: Fossilman arrested on charges of soliciting a prostitute.

2006: Jamie Gold - selling his bracelet.

2007: Jerry Yang admits financial issues with IRS.

ohh, and Duhamel and his girldfriend's robbery

ChipEaterMan

ChipEaterMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WSOP needs to switch to giving out rings like NFL/NBA etc

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Curse of the WSOP Main Event Champ

1997: Stu Ungar dies about a year and 1/2 after his win.
Was on his path to an anonymous motel room death long before he played that WSOP ME.
2001 Winner: Chris "Jesus" Ferguson indicted and settles with the feds.
I'll be fine with being indicted and paying a fine if the end result is my getting to retire in my 40s with millions and millions of dollars.
2003: Not sure Moneymaker's financial status but I understand he did get divorced shortly after his win.
So now he can take his money and travel and go out with models...sucks, im sure.
2004: Fossilman arrested on charges of soliciting a prostitute.
I am not going to go there, but his "situation" vis a vis available sex partners has been what it is for awhile before binking the Main
2006: Jamie Gold - selling his bracelet.
His curse is being a loudmouth, unlikeable douche with no concept of where he actually is skillwise in the poker world. LOLDONKAMENTS!

2007: Jerry Yang admits financial issues with IRS.

ohh, and Duhamel and his girldfriend's robbery

Ok, legit...on the last 2

B

buster999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember the bracelet was on ebay a few months back. Guess it didn't meet the reserve.

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
How much money do you think that he can get for his bracelet?

WSOP