International travel ban to the USA could be an issue leading up to the 2021 WSOP

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The 2021 wsop is just about two months away. There could be a problem with those from outside of the USA attending the WSOP given international travel continues to be forbidden to the USA.

Let's just say the travel ban won't be lifted in time for people outside of the USA to attend the WSOP this year - what kind of numbers should be expected? If you are outside of the USA, would you still find the event interesting to watch or follow along?

US to Extend Europe Travel Ban in Place with 2021 WSOP Only Two Months Away

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yep. Always interested in the field and how luck and skill meet.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yep. Always interested in the field and how luck and skill meet.

I feel the same. Even though the numbers will likely be a bit lower (if the travel ban isn't lifted or the virus is still going strong) doesn't take away from the entertainment value we should get.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree. I'm looking forward to watching it. I'm not so sure about playing an event though, if the virus is still going strong. May have to wait one more year for that.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It will be interesting to see how all plays out.

I tried to look at the WSOP stats on foreign participation percentage wise in events and few clear stats were available easily ( WSOP stats are detailed in many areas so I am sure they exist).

My guess would be swings and roundabouts. For those who regularly attend some events (obviously the majority do not play across all WSOP weeks), I think they might be encouraged to enter more events if the fields were anticipated as being somewhat smaller- therefore less competitive. However, entry fees are entry fees period, and I think peoples bankrolls will remain the key factor.

As for international travel and Covid protocols in general (something which could be anticipated and warned about a year ago) I genuinely think the 'collective we' are reaching a consensus point. I appears the 'political 'nonsense which has infused so much of the debate is falling quickly to the side.

People understand to travel freely they will likely need proof of vaccination, or be prepared to self isolate and then test upon arrival. Further, they will adhere to local protocols as people have realized how damaging the variants can be. I think any such protocols the WSOP might put in place will be followed.

We are going to have to live with Covid to some degree and placing as many safeguards as necessary will be accepted as a good thing.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If only americans can play, then its not really a "World" series of poker, is it? So yes for sure this will make the event a ton less interesting. As for travel bans they are just plain stupid. COVID is just as common in the US as in for instance Europe, so banning travel has no influenze on the number of people getting infected and sick. As in none what so ever. But politicians in any country can always become popular by telling people, bad things come from outside. This is always a lot easier than facing and solving the home grown problems.

R

RDHartsoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let just say that the travel restrictions are not lifted in time for the WSOP this fall, I expect there to be a 25-30% reduction in participants. If I could afford to go I would go. I will definitely watch the events on t. v. or online this year. I have missed it.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just looking at the cost of Vegas when I was looking to go is an issue as well as the new covid outbreak. 2 Weeks ago I was hoping to go, today I would be questing if I would still want to go. Hopefully thing settle down and they have a successful WSOP.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If only americans can play, then its not really a "World" series of poker, is it? So yes for sure this will make the event a ton less interesting. As for travel bans they are just plain stupid. COVID is just as common in the US as in for instance Europe, so banning travel has no influenze on the number of people getting infected and sick. As in none what so ever. But politicians in any country can always become popular by telling people, bad things come from outside. This is always a lot easier than facing and solving the home grown problems.

One of the first times I completely disagree with you.

Just because virtually every country on the planet has suffered from Covid does not mean they all addressed the issue in the same manner. Many countries have scrupulously followed protocols to protect as many of their citizens as possible and other have been lax.

Why, for instance , would any country feel inclined to let Brazilians travel freely at the moment when Bolsonaro has let the virus spread as he has?

No country is close to fully vaccinating their adult population so they still have domestic issues with Covid as it is. But there is no excuse to (blithely) let people travel unless they can produce proof of vaccination. Even then, fully vaccinated can both be infected and pass the virus to others as is being amply documented with the Delta Variant.

The idea there is no point in countries maintaining a level of wariness when it comes to travel and the potential for the virus to spread further is ridiculous.

Further, the point I have made consistently regarding poker’s general accessibility, is the WSOP coverage remains behind PokerGo’s paywall although an agreement has been signed by CBS Sports for some limited amount of coverage. However, for CBS Sports you need to watch via a live streaming service – so there will still be no ‘free to air’ WSOP content for the foreseeable future I believe.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What's the over/under of them switching to online again if cases in Las Vegas keep spiking?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The idea there is no point in countries maintaining a level of wariness when it comes to travel and the potential for the virus to spread further is ridiculous.

For countries like the US or the UK, where the virus is already widespread, travel restrictions is like buying a fire insurance, when your house is already burned down. Its completely ridiculous and only has the purpose of pointing peoples attention away from the failure of the local government to prevent internal spreading of the virus. For countries like new zealand, who managed to keep it out, its obviously a different story. For them travel restrictions not only makes sense but are a crucial part in maintaining their "zero covid policy".
Why, for instance , would any country feel inclined to let Brazilians travel freely at the moment when Bolsonaro has let the virus spread as he has?

If you look at fatality numbers per capita, they are currently 2.590 per million in brasil and 1.887 per million in the US, which is not exactly like worlds apart. And the difference might largely be explained by the fact, the US was faster to get its hands on vaccines and has a better health care system. So most likely Trump and Biden have "let the virus spread" just as much as Bolsonaro, and there is nothing but emotions behind this finger pointing at an unpopular president (which I dont like either by the way).

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What's the over/under of them switching to online again if cases in Las Vegas keep spiking?

That would make a lot of sense, because with or without foreign participants, the WSOP is obviously a "superspreader" event, and if governements are still vorried about the virus, such should not be allowed.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

I do not know what the over or under would be but the huge difference this year (obviously) is vaccinations are available. If the WSOP wishes to demand people have received their shots before being allowed to enter tourneys, they can do so...and they still have plenty of time to forewarn participants.

The problem is the attitude across wider Las Vegas where some visitors/residents are sticking to Covid protocols such as mask wearing and others are not. Hospitalizations alone have risen five fold in one month....

If the state/city reverts to sensible measures (now driven as much by corporate America rather than government/politics) then I would pose the live events could still take place. If the state maintains a loose approach to Covid then the WSOP live events could be in jeopardy.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
For countries like the US or the UK, where the virus is already widespread, travel restrictions is like buying a fire insurance, when your house is already burned down. Its completely ridiculous and only has the purpose of pointing peoples attention away from the failure of the local government to prevent internal spreading of the virus. For countries like New Zealand, who managed to keep it out, its obviously a different story. For them travel restrictions not only makes sense but are a crucial part in maintaining their "zero covid policy".

If you look at fatality numbers per capita, they are currently 2.590 per million in Brasil and 1.887 per million in the US, which is not exactly like worlds apart. And the difference might largely be explained by the fact, the US was faster to get its hands on vaccines and has a better health care system. So most likely Trump and Biden have "let the virus spread" just as much as Bolsonaro, and there is nothing but emotions behind this finger pointing at an unpopular president (which I dont like either by the way).

Okay, now you have explained I understand what you are saying to a degree.

That said I still do not agree completely. Yes, the UK has been inept from start to finish and as for the States they have exacerbated their own problems for the last year....but Biden cannot be compared to Trump or Bolsonaro. He has striven from the first day to distribute the virus and has been faced by red state resistance from a political point of view and minorities who have been neglected by the healthcare system for decades and therefore do not 'trust' government. He is going to compel federal employees to vaccinate or test regularly but he cannot simply mandate that for every adult.

Regardless, many Americans are furious that neighbors (in literal as well as 'state' sense) have disregarded protocols to date and they would argue allowing people to travel freely internationally with no restrictions would yet exacerbate Covid issues.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was looking for data from the WSOP on the makeup of the player pool (international vs domestic). I know that they have talked about it on the TV broadcast so the data has to be out there somewhere. The Delta var isn't helping on the domestic front either.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I was looking for data from the WSOP on the makeup of the player pool (international vs domestic). I know that they have talked about it on the TV broadcast so the data has to be out there somewhere. The Delta var isn't helping on the domestic front either.

Yeah, did the same myself but could not find statistics other than individual players. Yes, I am sure they do have the percentages on record....

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Yeah, did the same myself but could not find statistics other than individual players. Yes, I am sure they do have the percentages on record....

This article breaks down the numbers by country but (unfortunately) it is only for the 2019 Main Event. This might give us an idea of how the rest of the WSOP events would have run?

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2019...poker-main-event-field-demographics-34775.htm

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there is no ban on holding the championship, then the WSOP should take place. After all, this event is expected all over the world and it is much more pleasant to watch live tables than at online tables. I think that players from other countries should arrive at the tournament having passed all the requirements of the host country.

WSOP