"Hold Cards" or "Hole Cards"? Which side are you on?

In Texas Hold'em are they "Hole Cards" or "Hold Cards"?

• Total voters
Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
Last edited by a moderator:
B

benitwapasu

Rock Star
Total posts
I think just about everyone thinks of them as hole cards----the saying "ace in the hole" has been around a long time

Tracid

Tracid

Squirrel Tiger
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
I always call them 'cards dealt'... :laugh:

:wink:

Noticed Stapes having verbal fisticuffs with some weirdo about this on twitter.. :icon_scra

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Total posts
I always heard it as hole cards though I understand why hold cards make sense as well as these are the cards you hold. This is one of those English linguistic things where people hear the same word differently. Another example is when you get something to last for a short time, some people say it’s to tide you over and others say tie. Or nip it in the bud or butt.

Tracid

Tracid

Squirrel Tiger
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Tidbits or titbits? :)

Players' two personal, non-community, cards in NLH are both referred to as their 'holdings' (thus hold cards) and are also in their 'hole' or 'pocket' (thus hole cards).

The name 'Texas Hold'em' weighs in on the matter but ultimately face down cards in other poker variants have been referred to as 'in the hole' from times predating Hold'em, thus the term 'ace in the hole'.

These days, either can be used but although to me they're hole cards, it doesn't trigger me much if someone calls them hold cards... :biggrin:

To end the debate, I officially decree (with the power invested in me by cardschat) that from this day forth the worldwide poker community shall universally refer to 'pocket' cards.

~THE END

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Joe Stapleton tried to find the holes in the cards. But when he didn't find them, he came up with a new name for the cards being dealt. No one can change Joe's mind now.

DizzyDeb717

DizzyDeb717

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
CA
never heard anyone call them "hold" cards lol hmmmm
i went with hole cards :cool:

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Total posts
I have only heard them called "hole cards" or "starting hand".

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Why not whole cards?

Since they are the only cards that you don't have to share with any other player.

That would be wholesome :D

Fivefor

Fivefor

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Thought this thread was a joke at first.
Never heard them called "Hold" cards before seeing this.
But since Stapes seems to be behind this debate I'm placing my money on him doing a great troll job for this one.
And for all those who think it's "Nip it in the butt"....sorry butt you have been mistaken lol...

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Total posts
Can I suggest the obligatory third choice in ANY pool ?
It should be named 'other'.
Because this is jet another pool that I cannot vote as there is no answer matching my voice.
In this pool - Hole or hold - it makes no difference for me how you call it.

emk211

emk211

Legend
Total posts
Awards
Technically, they are both. They are being held in the hole....so I suppose it just depends on this...One, does it really matter what you call them? And do they win either way....for purposes of the correct way to announce them, I believe if you say it fast enough, hole can sound like hold....MEH!

Mortis

Mortis

Legend
Total posts
Awards
This is the first time I ever heard of anyone calling them "hold cards."

boyward

boyward

Enthusiast
Total posts
Awards
Always believed it was hole cards. I can see sense in the hold cards to though. Each to their own.

R

recoveryagent

Rock Star
Total posts
watch enough old westerns and you'll hear it's hole cards

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Yea surprised at the number of people in Twitter saying hold because I have never heard them called that.

M

Mahereid

Rock Star
Total posts
I say Hole cards. I have never noticed that people say hold cards.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Never seen "hold cards" until now. Everything read and written has been "hole".

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
So, is it 'Hole' or 'Hold' cards? Joe Stapleton is "holding" fast to his stance that it is "Hold" cards. Much of the rest of the poker world is in the "hole card" camp. Which one are YOU in?

Take our poll on Twitter too! >>
https://twitter.com/CardsChat/status/1385667660709564417

You can read the article to find out how this debate began and is probably ongoing. :)
Hole Cards or Hold Cards? Out-of-Work ‘Comedian’ Joe Stapleton’s Never-Ending Troll Job

1) Can I vote Hoyle?
2) Bauer or Bower?
3) Pass On The Right Lose For An Hour or Turn Down A Bauer/Bower Lose For An Hour

Depending how you answer, you may be Canadian. :)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Obviously it goes without saying the term is hole cards.

I think Joe Stapleton has a never ending battle with his career. He has worked on many things such as screen writing and stand up but I think he shines at commentary- or rather scripted commentary.

I loved Joe Stapleton and James Hartigan since I first followed the European Poker Tour, but their (note I say their) best commentary is not the actual live streams (which in fairness are very funny) but the edited highlight shows they put together after the event. I think it gives time for Stapleton to work on funny themes which have arisen during the live stream and naturally James Hartigan also makes a contribution (for those unfamiliar James Hartigan plays straight man to Stapleton's funny but has a dry sense of humor himself).

However, the odd thing is outside of the poker commentary I really don't find Stapleton that funny. I think its a cause of frustration for him that his other career choices/priorities don't take off.