Gender neutral playing cards???

D

DesertStorm46

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did anyone else read the article that its now offensive for the King to be stronger than the Queen, so theres talk about making the cards gender neutral, ill post the news article if i can find it again.

By the way, does anyone else feel a burning desire to just get off this planet?!

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Did anyone else read the article that its now offensive for the King to be stronger than the Queen, so theres talk about making the cards gender neutral, ill post the news article if i can find it again.

By the way, does anyone else feel a burning desire to just get off this planet?!

Interesting topic. :)

Do you have a link to an article on this?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
54d334285c3e3e8dcbf0c92ea9df8a96.png

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19024740.issue-day-new-gender-neutral-playing-cards/

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have not heard of such news, and I hope not to hear this absurdity in action. It happens that some people have a bad head. They will rewrite history and tradition tomorrow. People with crazy ideas belong in a madhouse.

C

capujoss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if we should be changing the beautiful game of poker.

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
It's getting to the point, you just simply wont be able to talk anymore. Political correctness has already gone to far. Keep your circle small and there will be no problems. Other than being on these forums...lol. It's a huge circle...hahaha.

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I am waiting for the day when people start demanding the ban of Santa Clause. Those poor elves are getting ripped off by that old geezer - why should HE get all the credit ?!?!

I'm just having a hard time of visualizing what the gender neutral Santa would look like :D

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why is the king more important than the queen in chess..?? it's just not right...the queen does all the work but gets none of the credit...and the queen is sometimes even sacrificed so the king can prevail. It's barbaric i tell ya...

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
...By the way, does anyone else feel a burning desire to just get off this planet?!

I am ready, when is the next bus... too many have lost their minds on this planet. We have some seriously larger problems right now than the game pieces of a game.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Its funny, this is not an issue to me, but then neither is it an issue that some Dutch psychologist has pointed out bias stems from many existing conditions. It says more that people get bent out of shape about her thesis rather than the thesis itself - the defensiveness underlines her point. Pretty much the definition of being a snowflake.

Just a reminder - the US just elected its first women vice president (and first vice president of color and Asian background) in 233 years. Yes, that's how long it took to get to VP Kamala Harris - centuries.

So, perhaps we could all progress society a little faster by conceding gender bias is real (as are other biases) and is still prevalent in this day and age. In other words society might be better served if some stop being a drama queens over someone inventing a new deck of cards.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
J<Q<K - may seem a bit sexist but that ranking has been around FOREVER. It's not changing any century soon.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
J<Q<K - may seem a bit sexist but that ranking has been around FOREVER. It's not changing any century soon.

Indeed, but is that not the entire point? To be clear, I am not personally bothered one jot if I play with KJQ….or whatever.

However, the idea someone is starting any conversation about gender bias is generally good. Yes cards have existed for centuries but gender bias and male dominance for millennia. I like some re-calibration some re-balancing. Not too long ago men ‘owned’ women.

The KQJ existed on cards centuries before women were even allowed to vote. But over the last 100 years or so we have accepted (finally) that women can play poker, fly jet fighters, referee a football or basketball games (pass me the smelling salts) and as above can lead a country.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
Who is Interesting to initiate such ideas? where the world is heading:D:D:D

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it would be worth the effort to change kings and queens to be gender neutral. This is an old game, and I think it should just be left alone as it is. There are far more important issues regarding sexism in poker, but they are around creepy old men making sexual comments about women at the table, not the make up of a deck of cards. Next they will go after chess... maybe some things can just be left alone.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did anyone else read the article that its now offensive for the King to be stronger than the Queen, so theres talk about making the cards gender neutral, ill post the news article if i can find it again. By the way, does anyone else feel a burning desire to just get off this planet?!
hi hi!!! :ciao:
this one of the most stupid things i ever hear
suppose might be best use transgender pronouns for those cards?
you americans have lost your minds?
can't use mother, father, sister etc either?
no sure if laugh or cry
*shakes head*

blond.jpg

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Id rather not have this king of change. I play chess and poker and I don't see the need to be bent out of shape over king or queen ranking higher. Needing everything to be gender neutral is going too far. The game(s) themselves don't instill prejudice but rather the persons making the arguments as such. I don't feel less of a man because the queen ranks higher in chess nor do I feel like I tower over women because the king ranks higher in poker. They make for good jokes in casual conversations which might be where this stems from because somewhere along the line someone couldn't take a joke and got bent out of shape about it.

my two cents :D

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting discussion. I believe in equal human rights for all and agree that we should all try to play a role in achieving that. Gender neutral playing cards won't help and really just seems to make the issue seem less important.