Erik Siedel is criticized during the WSOP HeadsUp Match

SHIZIKK

SHIZIKK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is real licimerism, he did everything right to stipulate Eric, you cannot appear on time, it is your concern, if there was no agreement earlier, everyone who criticizes first of all stole the blinds, by his own example, he was convinced that no one would wait for me to be ripped off only by joy.

L

LotharMcDowner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a courtesy to wait for the player who hasn't shown up, but not a responsibility. Nothing wrong with what Seidel did IMO

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing the wsop is a business venture. So it's a business decision. The object is to make money. I have no problem with the way he played.

chippawa1234

chippawa1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think seidel did nothing wrong , one of the greats!

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There should be no argument. The tournament has a starting time, if the player isn't capable of making it there on time it's their fault. Free chips. GG to the no show.

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While it's not exactly sporting, it's well within the rules and seems pretty common even out of the micro stakes I play in. I think part of the reason it's making so much news is just because it's Seidel doing it.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
There are a couple of ways to look at it, right?!

Erik has been quoted as sayingWas a mistake. Didn't know who it was but shouldn't make a diff. Plan was if he blinded out would give him back entry & %. It happened to me twice live. 1st time, 1st round guy waited, 2nd time was semi WSOP Europe, got blinded out for most of stack,” he wrote.
Whether you believe him or not, Erik did say this (taken from the article)

Sure, it was not the most sportsmanlike thing to do in the early stages of a tournament but is he wrong? Now, if you are spending that money on a buy-in, as a rec player (again, stated in the article) are you going to be sure to have everything in place to play the game properly online? We know how finicky or tempermental connections can be at times, but there seems to be no response from the opponent, that I can tell - which would likely put this whole issue to rest.

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a couple of ways to look at it, right?!

Erik has been quoted as sayingWas a mistake. Didn't know who it was but shouldn't make a diff. Plan was if he blinded out would give him back entry & %. It happened to me twice live. 1st time, 1st round guy waited, 2nd time was semi WSOP Europe, got blinded out for most of stack,” he wrote.
Whether you believe him or not, Erik did say this (taken from the article)

Sure, it was not the most sportsmanlike thing to do in the early stages of a tournament but is he wrong? Now, if you are spending that money on a buy-in, as a rec player (again, stated in the article) are you going to be sure to have everything in place to play the game properly online? We know how finicky or tempermental connections can be at times, but there seems to be no response from the opponent, that I can tell - which would likely put this whole issue to rest.

Not the sportsman like thing to do? This is the game. This is how the game works. IRL, you might be able to pause the timer to wait, but online? No. It's ticking and you have to play.

The sportsman like thing to do is play. If you see your opponent folds every time you raise, are you supposed to stop raising? no. You are exploiting your opponents weakness. That is how the game works. In this case, the villain's weakness is that he can't read a clock or show up on time or has shitty Internet. So that is what you exploit.

There is no other side. He played it correctly. If you're playing soccer, ans the goalie isn't in the net, should you not shoot at it? If the hockey team pulls their goalie, are you not allowed to shoot at their goal? It's the game.

He is only saying, "sorry," because in today's society if you don't say "sorry" for something that someone is pissed about, you get cancelled, blackballed, etc. Regardless of weather or not you're in the right. The mob mentality of cancel culture is toxic these days. You have to apologize for everything to everyone.

Last edited:
S

StackingZChipz209

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To blind off or not to blind

Hmm suppose I would waited hmmm one hand and did the same
phones have reminders on them use it
friendly reminder you have a nothing serious going on but WSOP shot at a bracelet hmm
unless max had some kinda super emergency like is Whole foods open?? or should I stop by Taco Bell lol .
player responsibility stay safe my friends :jd4:

S

StackingZChipz209

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
utg + 1 kjo super nit

Not the sportsman like thing to do? This is the game. This is how the game works. IRL, you might be able to pause the timer to wait, but online? No. It's ticking and you have to play.

The sportsman like thing to do is play. If you see your opponent folds every time you raise, are you supposed to stop raising? no. You are exploiting your opponents weakness. That is how the game works. In this case, the villain's weakness is that he can't read a clock or show up on time or has shitty Internet. So that is what you exploit.

There is no other side. He played it correctly. If you're playing soccer, ans the goalie isn't in the net, should you not shoot at it? If the hockey team pulls their goalie, are you not allowed to shoot at their goal? It's the game.

He is only saying, "sorry," because in today's society if you don't say "sorry" for something that someone is pissed about, you get cancelled, blackballed, etc. Regardless of weather or not you're in the right. The mob mentality of cancel culture is toxic these days. You have to apologize for everything to everyone.
#supernitty

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
If he had waited a few minutes for the other player if he had understood it but as soon as he saw that he was absent, he began to attack his opponent's stack, which is very wrong. Although later he gave a statement offering an apology and if he had collected he would have given part of the money to this other player

Severo junior

Severo junior

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
RIGHT

nobody waits for anyone, the site has a tolerance time, so nothing wrong with his attitude

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Amen to that, all this politically correct stuff is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have done the same thing. If the opponent can't show up on time for something as important as this..he deserves to be blinded out.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This situation isn't fun for either side and I can understand both arguments. Being late for personal reasons, internet disconnect, technical issues etc. could happen to anyone. It is probably just as likely for Siedel as anyone else.

I don't know. If it was me in high stakes real money - I'd probably blind them out. I know that sounds wrong, but I'm trying to imagine what I think I would really do. It would be different if you understood the circumstances or how long the delay could be, but you might be waiting for the rest of the day for all I know. I don't think his decision was "out of line" at all. Choosing to delay the game as long as possible sounds like an honorable route, but I don't think it is his responsibility to do this as an opponent treating his opponent with respect and of the "competitive spirit."

I think best would be if the online site (or live locations for live games) had preset rules on how long the game could be delayed for based on "no-show" cases. This is how it is for many other sports/games.

Take golf for example. In match play golf (form of play that is 1 v 1), for the PGA/USGA (United States Golf Association), everyone has a set tee time to begin the match and typically are encouraged to arrive much earlier. If one side isn't present at the designated "start" time, then the "no-show" side gets a penalty of 2 strokes or loss of hole (2 stroke penalty for stroke play tournaments and loss of hole for match play) if they arrive within 5 minutes late. After 5 minutes of "no-show", then the absent party is disqualified (keep in mind that most golf rounds take about 4.5 hours if they did show, so 5 minutes is very little time).

I also play chess and USCF (United States Chess Federation) has similar rules for no-shows. https://new.uschess.org/news/just-rules-tardiness-101
If they don't show up within a certain time from the start, then they are disqualified.

Poker would make sense to have a similar procedure in effect. Maybe "blinding down" wouldn't be allowed, but the "late" poker player could have x-time to show up and if still not present then disqualified. Maybe even like golf, have x-penalty for showing up late but not late enough for disqualification. Maybe a penalty like having to post a straddle for a few orbits or something.

I don't know, just giving ideas. Siedel played within the rules though: I think the call for justice just means that the rules need to be changed.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As Doyle Brunson once said, poker is war.

Why would Seidel wait? The game began, the tournament directors have the discretion to intervene and delay or pause as well.

There was an incident I read about years ago at EPT, where a guy just didn't show up. No one knew where he was. They blinded him down anyways.

The only issue I see here is the TDs had the discretion to pause or delay the tournament or issue a ruling that Erik would need to use his time bank before actions.

H

hartmann2508

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The elimination should be expensive 5 or 10 min away, I believe that the freezing of the accounts would also be necessary since it hinders the progress of the tables ...

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Seems like Max Kruze is the one who should have learned a lesson here. Where is he in all of this?

Dutydog

Dutydog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can’t see anything wrong with this.

WSOP