D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Just watched the first two personal Doug Polk vlogs from sessions at the The Lodge, in Austin where Polk, Neeme and Owen have become partners.

Both twenty minutes in length, they are a real treat to watch – quick paced and funny as hell, everyone having a good time. Doug Polk has never vlogged in this manner (similar to an Andrew Neeme vlog) but he is a natural. His sense of humor is at the fore and if part of the trio’s investment in The Lodge is to remind everyone poker is fun, they are going to succeed.

In the future there will be content from The Lodge itself as well as Polk (as an Austin resident and then visits/content from Neeme and Owen also.

Well worth a watch.

1st vlog

2nd vlog

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I watched them as well, and I agree, they are very funny. Mostly an advertisement for his new investment, I presume. But I also sense, that Doug was truly enjoying to play some live poker with regular people at stakes, where he dont really need to worry about the money.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Oh very cool, DS! I will be taking some time to check them out, too!

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
DP and Upswing was very entertaining to watch during his Twitch days. I look forward to seeing more live action from him, and I might take a trip to TX. Thank you for dropping this on my radar.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I watched them as well, and I agree, they are very funny. Mostly an advertisement for his new investment, I presume. But I also sense, that Doug was truly enjoying to play some live poker with regular people at stakes, where he dont really need to worry about the money.

Glad you watched!

I think there is a really nice balance struck here of it being content for regular players without taking itself too seriously. Doug Polk has always made me laugh but he really makes fun of himself to great effect here. Analysis yes, but with a sense of humor.

I think some great content will be coming out of The Lodge in the future...

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Oh very cool, DS! I will be taking some time to check them out, too!

Please do. I think they might be more fun than anyone else's vlogs.

Andrew Neeme and Brad Owen can both be very funny but it is with a dry sense of humor. Polk doesn't hide the fact he wants to crack you (and the other players) up. And what is endearing is a lot is ham-fisted in the first vlog as he gets to grips with filming and playing.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
DP and Upswing was very entertaining to watch during his Twitch days. I look forward to seeing more live action from him, and I might take a trip to TX. Thank you for dropping this on my radar.

My pleasure ekgbeat!

If you go to play in Austin, please post about the visit! I get the sense (from afar) that the Texas card rooms really do have something distinctly different about them. Obviously they are not corporate owned and are based around a social club ethos from a legal standpoint...but they really do appear as much more about the players.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Doug Polk has always made me laugh but he really makes fun of himself to great effect here.

I cant remember, that I have ever seen him make so much fun of himself as in these videos. In the past it was mostly other content creators, he made fun of. Which I personally found hilarious in many cases, but I can see, why some migth think, it was a little over the top :)

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Now, that's the way to do a vlog...lol

I've never a big fan (meaning didn't dislike him but nothing ever really drew me to his style) but these videos may have just changed my mind...a wee bit. :)

Thanks for finding these, DS!

Last edited:
pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great Content, i really enjoyed this watch - thanks for posting DS!

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My pleasure ekgbeat!

If you go to play in Austin, please post about the visit! I get the sense (from afar) that the Texas card rooms really do have something distinctly different about them. Obviously they are not corporate owned and are based around a social club ethos from a legal standpoint...but they really do appear as much more about the players.

I will do a short write up on my experience if I make it down there. The situation in Texas is very interesting and seems to vary by city. One got busted in Houston a couple years ago, but Doug's seem to have been around for a while. I think the article below gives some insight into the rules in Texas, but still subjective it seems.

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2019/05/texas-poker-houston-club-raids-34066.htm

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I will do a short write up on my experience if I make it down there. The situation in Texas is very interesting and seems to vary by city. One got busted in Houston a couple years ago, but Doug's seem to have been around for a while. I think the article below gives some insight into the rules in Texas, but still subjective it seems.

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2019/05/texas-poker-houston-club-raids-34066.htm

Thank for reply and good luck with planning a potential visit.

Yeah, it is a very interesting situation. If I read it correctly, essentially the state for various reasons placed the decision of whether the card rooms were legal or not back in the hands of local authorities.

Which would be fine until someone has a political agenda as is the case in Dallas. I can see two sides to this with the one Dallas operator admitting they had tried to place a new card room in what amounted to an upscale neighborhood and met resistance. That seemed like a poorly considered move as such a neighborhood might not award a operating license to a fast food chain etc. There is no need to put a 'bad' spotlight on yourself.

However, the issue that concerns me is the political climate stinks at the moment and unfortunately there is no way to strategize about the future of such rooms unless you take potential political fallout into account.

Texas is a hard right state and like Florida has been imposing a number of right wing laws which have a direct effect on peoples lives. What the card rooms do not need is for it to become a 'hot potato' where actors deliberately use it as political wedge issue which then could be fought back at state level, rather than city level.

Obviously, most of these clubs are fully licensed and well run, but that councilwomen has already successfully tarred the clubs with the violence and even murder brush even though the incidents she has cited have no connection to the card rooms.

Everyone has just got to hope the matter stays local and handled by individual cities and jurisdictions. It rises back to state level and things could get very fraught.

U

unadonk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Doug Polk becomes a Rec, LOL

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.Very well made videos.Polk knows very well how to make good content with entertainment.Thanks for sharing.

samircyber9

samircyber9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dp is a very funny and sarcastic guy i still dont know where the hate comes from for this guy he literally covers poker like no one before