Doug Polk says he has no interest in poker any longer stated in his last poker video

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Doug Polk retired from poker over a year ago, but now he claims his days of creating poker-related content on YouTube are officially done despite having more than 288,000 subscribers. He has stated his heart and mind are not in the game any longer and has no interest in doing anything further.

Will Doug Polk ever return to the game of poker?

https://www.cardschat.com/news/doug-polk-youtube-poker-finale-88499

Last edited:
TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely a crazy thing to see! He has been a mainstay in the poker community. With that being said and what we all say on here, from time to time we do need to take a break from the game. Whether it's a day, week, month, year, or longer, we need to take time to regroup and recharge.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
He stopped playing poker a while ago I think , this is the chery on the cake , the last decision making on poker . No more poker videos . Many loved him not only for his great analysis on hands , but also for the trolling videos and conflicts with poker pros , like Vanessa Selbst or Negreanu . I will; miss him , hope he changes his mind in the future . He said he will continue posting no poker related videos on his other youtube video channel . I wish him success .
He also had a interview with Joe ingram in his podecast yesterday night , said sth about this or his tweet war with Doyle , etc . I hope he plays again poker or make more poker videos in the future , he is an important figure in poker :)

bigredwolf

bigredwolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker will miss Mr Polk

I would not call myself a fan of Doug Polk, being a fan of Daniel Negreanu I never understood his problem with him. I guess it makes good click bait.
However, I enjoyed his content and poker needs more people doing good content.

I wish he would share some more details into what made him give up the game. Too many confrontations got to him in the end maybe.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I like Doug Polk and his poker content. He has been confrontational but always with a valid point to be made.

However, he’s hard to read in terms of motivation. Starting as a You Tuber close to the peak of his game...he was obviously looking for something to re-motivate him even at his poker best. The poker content was not enough so he went down the crypto content path, which always felt like it played to a limited audience. Now, he intends to make general content - a difficult road to tread.

Poker is an insular industry so several figures making an early entrance onto new media platforms got traction, within a community of sparse competition. Not to belittle anyone for the effort, but there are limitations

However, I don’t see Doug Polk adding anything to a ‘general’ debate with the format he has kept to date- his faux comical ‘news updates’. Doug Polk is no better informed than anyone else in terms of politics or the coronavirus. That hasn’t stopped him (or others in poker) commentating but I don’t get the impression-at least so far- many are interested in generic take with a jokey overtone.

I understand how some very successful players get bored with poker itself and feel they have the smarts to branch out. Doug Polk is one of them but I think his publicly turning his back on poker is a little silly. There is no need to burn bridges in this manner. Just go out and produce avariety of diverse content and surprise us all. Or not.

mk0523

mk0523

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wonder if he will end up playing in any wsop events in the near future at least or if he is totally retiring from now on.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doug Polk retired from poker over a year ago, but now he claims his days of creating poker-related content on YouTube are officially done despite having more than 288,000 subscribers. He has stated his heart and mind are not in the game any longer and has no interest in doing anything further.

Good Question. He has been a great tool for information and game development for years. Sad to see him go for sure. I believe he will be back. Doug probably wants to start the next chapter in his life and doesn't want poker in it for whatever reason. He will come back in the future at some level. Although this will be the end of his era of being a fixture in the poker community in my opinion.

Good Luck To All:cool:

stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope he is happy I love the guy

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems like most poker players retire more than once.

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess he has accomplished the things he set out to do and now he feels he is ready to do something different. He may make a return sometime in the future but who knows. He has definitely done a lot and helped many people understand the game better. I wish him the best going forward in all his endeavors.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank god,,,,not a fan,,esp the made-up feud with D-neg. :shot: Peace out,Dougy. :ciao:

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
they often retire .

and then show up again later ( like boxers + soccer players ). lets wait and see !

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm Seems GTO softwares killed his interest

T

TheCody86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His social commentary videos are fairly entertaining. Sad to see him no longer in the poker scene but eh Doug should do Doug.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like Doug Polk because he is a free spirited guy who wears his heart on his sleeve and is unafraid of speaking his mind, usually with a good and self deprecating type humor.

Sad to see him move away from poker, but that's what free spirits do, they don't linger in situations that came to a status quo.

I an not a bit worried about Doug, he will do well in whatever his next endeavor will be :)

Last edited:
zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank god,,,,not a fan,,esp the made-up feud with D-neg. :shot: Peace out,Dougy. :ciao:

I would take Polk over Dnegs any day of the week.
Dnegs is a soft spoken, well mannered PR type guy, gullible folks from all over the World can't have enough of him, but if you look beyond the surface it's not a lot there.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I was a big fan of Doug Polk the poker player, he is attempting to create what appears to be political or just general news with humor......EH - I don't think so Doug , if you are done with Poker, I think I am done watching the channel

B

boomcha

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Got into Doug at the same time as cards chat and both due to Covid! Lots of great value in those vids.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Yeah I know I am late to the party, but just saw the video myself. Although he already previous to this essentially stated the same thing, it seems that with all the prop bets he had gone he is out.

He was good at it. He has a talent for commentary but I doubt he will find a niche for himself outside poker.

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I saw that video recently. I used to watch him live stream his challenges and tournaments on TwitchTV quite some time ago. At the beginning he was extremely enthusiastic and then shortly after a year started to lose the fire, it seemed as if he was getting burnt out and lost the wind in his sail. Streaming is no easy feat, it's a lot of hard work. He was amazing at the game and has a good niche for the games he played. Best of luck on his future ventures.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There will always come a time when you can not find motivation to play poker is something natural in the players, but it is a short break, a good player will always want to do it to study and evaluate strategies, learn more etc.