Doug Polk Completes $100-to-$10K Bankroll Challenge

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, he's already retired. His volume of play is nothing compared to what it was and he's no longer earning his living at it. Does it mean he'll never touch a playing card again, of course not. If I'm a teacher and I retire it doesn't mean I can never teach anyone anything again, it means it's not my job anymore.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep,my buddy was a garbage man for 35 years,and yes,he still takes out his garbage! It never ends! :rolleyes:

H

havealittlefaith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The whole point of this challenge was to do it with proper bankroll management, but at the end he just said screw and played way higher stakes. I doubt he's officially retiring from poker I think he's just saying that to mess with his audience.

S

Slacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats to Doug, it was a lot of fun to watch. I doubt he retires from Poker but understand him stepping back from the game to pursue other interests. I would imagine he still plays some of the bigger tourneys at least.

X

xbursonicx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, it's definitely an impressive achievement for a high-stakes player as just playing in micro stakes should be a challenge for him. Though 2 years looks an enormous period of time considering that https://www.twitch.tv/zapahzamazki completed his challenge of "5$ to 10000$" on poker stars within a month.

Kanetuck

Kanetuck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wonderful achievement, but I am sorry, $1/$2 is low stakes, not micro. He only did the first 4k micro and then gave up on micro, did the other 6k in one day.

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who knew Vanessa Selbst was so good at poker? What a wonderful young poker player he is.

Kirstenoli91

Kirstenoli91

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Challenge

Was super exciting to watch! Awesome job Doug

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Impressive feat for sure. Obviously a very good player. Running good helps everyone. I’m curious on how a retired player is going to continue to teach current players without keeping up with the game. Poker is ever changing and strategy is evolving. I wonder if he will continue to teach or hire others to represent his site.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
He tripled his bankroll and got to ten grand overnight.

Buy yourself something nice.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched the last couple of streams he did in August. It was crazy seeing him overbet bluff rivers with missed draws. At the end of the day, I feel like he had poor bankroll management, and it kind of went against the whole idea of the challenge. At the same time, I'm glad he was able to complete it because it didn't seem like he was going to for a while.

D

dbguimaraes87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats to Doug!
He is such a great player and youtuber content and deserved to finish this challenge.
Of course in the last days he had poor bankroll management but maybe he thought it worth to try bigger stakes and finish the challenge ASAP.

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he realized that poker is an ordinary bingo, anyone will get tired of this!

XSCREAMMANX

XSCREAMMANX

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
congratulations Doug on another challenge complete. well done.

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doug will be back in the next 10 years ! I speculate poker burn out has set and it's a good time to refocuses his creative energies.

J

Joonnn1212

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sadly, I do think Doug is retiring for good. I imagine he'll play an occasional high roller for fun but the days of him battling consistently against the other best players in the world seem to be behind him. He noted on his stream that poker is a great way to go from zero to a million dollars, but not from a million to 10 million. He certainly has millions already, and on his last few streams Doug seemed like he had accomplished everything he wanted to in poker. This leads me to believe he is seeking new challenges outside of poker to mentally stimulate himself, although I remain ever hopeful that he will make a grand return!

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, it's definitely an impressive achievement for a high-stakes player as just playing in micro stakes should be a challenge for him. Though 2 years looks an enormous period of time considering that https://www.twitch.tv/zapahzamazki completed his challenge of "5$ to 10000$" on Poker Stars within a month.

If you watched his summary of the challenge, or was along for the ride. It was 50 sessions. Yes, it was 2 years but he took almost a year when he did not play any sessions at all. Basically, he told everyone before he resumed the challenge that he retired from actively playing. He said he was going to finish the challenge because he gave his word to the audience.

What impressed me about the challenge, I know people love to hate on Doug, If you look at the challenge, he was not a full-time poker player through almost all of it. He played on wsop which means he did not have a huge choice of games. He had to take what he could get, along with a small player pool, much more difficult than a challenge on Stars, or partypoker. He says he does not enjoy poker anymore, but I can tell you the last 4-5 sessions were great fun to watch.

C

crisco609

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is pretty cool, even just the fact that he stuck with it and saw the entire thing out instead of, like they call it, "becoming the next Durr Challenge" (which is something that did indeed make me lose a great deal of respect for Durr). So regardless of time or methods, I give props to Doug for completing this challenge, it's not by any means an easy challenge to complete. As for him being retired, I'm not exactly sure if I believe that. I'd imagine that he continues to cash in on the coaching foundation he set up, and I also would be willing to bet we still see him in the occasional tourneys coming up. Maybe it will become more of a hobby, but I don't see how he could just give it up and retire completely

2Rockets2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes he did

Doug Polk Completes $100-to-$10K Bankroll Challenge, Then Abruptly Retires from Poker

Congratulations to Doug! But, wait! He's retiring from poker?

Do you think Doug can really retire from poker?
Doug has retired how ever from his youtube channel i gather that there are atleast 2 factors in his decision 1 is online cheats at acr and he simply doesn't enjoy playing anymore when you play solid poker it can get rather boring and he is a go go go kind of guy and i wish bim the best in what ever he does in the future

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I liked to watch doug play in the microstakes on WSOP.com. It really helped me learn some of his tactics against the players at stakes I play in. I really hope he will try this again.. or someone of his similar ability, as it is a great learning experience for the followers.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I liked to watch doug play in the microstakes on WSOP.com. It really helped me learn some of his tactics against the players at stakes I play in. I really hope he will try this again.. or someone of his similar ability, as it is a great learning experience for the followers.

Matt, Check out "Twitch" there are always Poker Players, some poker pro's some pro "streamers" and someone is always doing a challenge or else they are streaming Tournaments at all different buy-ins, Cash games also at smaller stakes.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congratulations to him , I don t think he will stop playing poker like for ever but he will miss all the action .

S

Slip_Me_Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Doug Polk Completes $100-to-$10K Bankroll Challenge, Then Abruptly Retires from Poker

Congratulations to Doug! But, wait! He's retiring from poker?

Do you think Doug can really retire from poker?

I feel like the actual challenge was kind of tarnished since he finished it with some bad bankroll management. But I give him props for getting it to 10k no matter how he was able to do it. I want to eventually take my $100+ and turn it into 10k so it is definitely a fun challenge. I think I would make smaller goals though such as getting it to $200 instead of making one that would take so long to accomplish over time.

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First and foremost, I do not think it will be removed from poker, because maybe it's a strategy to see what your opponents think, hahaha, he will always talk, he likes to be the center of attention, there is a draw to play a tournament the WSOp .. !!

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management