Deaf Poker Aus. Championship finally declares a winner but not without controversy

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Recently, there was a news article regarding Australian poker player Chris Smitton winning a Deaf Poker Australia Championship. Chris is considered half-deaf with hearing in only one ear.

Some people decided social media was the place to show their displeasure with someone who is not fully hearing impaired (but within the rules) without knowing all the facts and were less than kind to the new winner.

Chris Smitton Not Deaf Enough to be Deaf Poker Australia Champion?

There was an uproar from others stating he was 'not deaf enough' to actually be declared the winner but after an investigation from the Deaf Poker Association, they deemed Chris was in fact 'deaf enough' to claim the championship.

Deaf Poker Community Happy as Investigation Validates Champion Chris Smitton

Since the ruling from the DPA, the court of public opinion has backed off but for the most part, has not retracted their comments.

Should the court of public opinion be more concerned with the DPA Rules or should they continue to chastise the winner?

Bee

Bee

to bee or not to bee
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mmmmmm somehow I became very curious about australian poker :flute:

And, success in not forgiven.
Unfortunately, it is so easy to judge someone, especially when you do not know details. And this is actually ugly. People with some kind of handicap need a lot more effort to achieve success. I hope this will not encourage him and he will continue to win.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With everything that's gone on recently in the poker world, the one thing some people are outraged about is that a player with a legitimate hearing impairment "isn't deaf enough"? Just be happy for this guy :)

You pick up a lot of verbal information from the dealer and other players, so I think it's really cool that Australia holds this event. Congrats Chris Smitton on the win!

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In my opinion, it's insane how people behave when they are hiding behind a screen and one would have to assume they are adults. Since Deaf Poker Australia had approved the entry AND the win, why can't others just accept it? Maybe they all need to review the rules before blasting anyone? Being hearing impaired since birth (I have never considered my limited hearing a handicap at all) this whole ordeal struck a chord with me but does not mean I will lower myself to their level and fight a battle already won. :)

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a fan of any form of segregation,,,,i find it equal to a game for people with "blue eyes only" or "whites only",,,,, There's no difference. :withstupi

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a fan of any form of segregation,,,,i find it equal to a game for people with "blue eyes only" or "whites only",,,,, There's no difference. :withstupi
How about "women only"? As far as I know there are no poker tournament for "whites only", or for "men only", but plenty for "women only"...

H

HyverKot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not about segregation, it is about bringing attention that these players exist and to bring those players together. Lots of hearing impaired and non-verbal individuals feel that they are the only ones who are in this people friendly game and feel not part of the community at large.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not about segregation, it is about bringing attention that these players exist and to bring those players together. Lots of hearing impaired and non-verbal individuals feel that they are the only ones who are in this people friendly game and feel not part of the community at large.
Oh,plz. :eviltongu What about players with "one leg",,, should we have a tourny for those too? :stupido3:

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For those who think i'm being "insensentive",,,,my Grandmother is Deaf,has been since a child,(i learned to Sign as a kid so i could communicate) also have a Blind cousin who i'm very close to,,,have Cancer/Alzheimers as well in others in my family.

N

Nomahoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder if im deaf enough. I had the tubes in my ears, had dozens of surgeries including reconstructing all 6 ear bones out of my own cartilage. Thank you tax payers of canada for all that btw. You ve probably paid over $1mill for me to hold on to a small bit of hearing.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I wonder if im deaf enough. I had the tubes in my ears, had dozens of surgeries including reconstructing all 6 ear bones out of my own cartilage. Thank you tax payers of Canada for all that btw. You ve probably paid over $1mill for me to hold on to a small bit of hearing.

Are you deaf at all, now? Do you have to wear a hearing aid?

I am deaf in one ear from birth (missing the entire middle ear). This is something I have lived with all my life and honestly, I think my hearing is better than some with hearing in both ears! I don't really look at my hearing as a disability since this is all I know and have done quite alright in spite of it all. I wonder if I would be eligible for this tournament, too! ;)

N

Nomahoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont wear hearing aids but everyone says i should.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wonder if im deaf enough. I had the tubes in my ears, had dozens of surgeries including reconstructing all 6 ear bones out of my own cartilage. Thank you tax payers of Canada for all that btw. You ve probably paid over $1mill for me to hold on to a small bit of hearing.

Has it made you more productive?

Even a small bit of hearing can increase your safety when hearing a bus, train or emergency vehicle driving by.

Every little bit of hearing helps !

Good luck !

N

Nomahoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has it made you more productive?

Even a small bit of hearing can increase your safety when hearing a bus, train or emergency vehicle driving by.

Every little bit of hearing helps !

Good luck !

The doctor told me that if I didnt do the ear bone thing id eventually lose all my hearing. When they did it 2 bones in one ear had pretty much dissolved into nothing. I dont hear any better but I havent had blood pour outta my ears since so thats great. It looked like I had ebola when that happened.

I work, drive etc. I cant watch tv or movies really cause I cant hear the dialogue. Im the guy whos constantly asking “ what did he say “ haha. I dont even try.

Winner Poker