Daniel Negreanu running so bad in the WSOP 2022

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't watched the vlogs, but does anyone know if Daniel has talked about having a backer?

NSX_Amfe2nat

NSX_Amfe2nat

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I hope next time he will play better!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I haven't watched the vlogs, but does anyone know if Daniel has talked about having a backer?

No he gives no indication he has one.

A lot of this ground has been gone over earlier in the thread but perhaps some aspects bear more focus in particular because Negreanu discussed the wsop and being down $1.1 million on the latest DAT podcast.

As I stated previously, I think some in the poker community vastly overrate what players net, therefore their real worth and as has been said many times The Hendon Mob stats are both informative and misleading. Also, the idea any player casually writes off over a million in losses is a stretch. Yes, for the high rollers they suffer such swings with regularity but also with the expectation they will bounce back and that is where things get a little debatable with Negreanu. As noted, if Negreanu had not bagged $8 million in the Big One For One Drop (2014) he would have been down for a span of half a dozen years. He then picked up another $3 million (2018) in a higher roller and then has cashed large prizes throughout recent years though its hard to gauge whether these cover potential WSOP losses and other high roller buy ins which all appear very Las Vegas centric.

Negreanu gave a breakdown of sorts as noted and made the case that the $1.1 million WSOP loss was the cost of doing business. There is truth in that but then he needed to relate how the loss was not as bad as it seemed.

Regarding backers again – in the podcast there was no mention of backers and no indication that GG pays for buy ins. I am sure they cover some of his buy ins but the idea Negreanu free rolls the WSOP is highly unlikely.

Negreanu was keen to show he made some side income during the series (which again gives the game away the overall loss had stung). One of the first things he pointed out was that people had brought pieces of him on Pocket Fives, which I found a little tasteless under the circumstances but perhaps that’s just me.

Then Negreanu’s team came second (to Maria Ho) in the WSOP Fantasy draft which earned the team $100,000. Negreanu also said he had a side bet with each team which I presume led to a similar amount being recouped. Negreanu then claimed he had two horses in the WSOP. I am guessing one was Eddie Sabat who made $200,000 this WSOP (not sure of his buy ins). Finally, he related someone who owed a long standing debt settled with him at the WSOP and that was for $350,000.

I am going to stick with what I posed earlier in the thread. I am sure Negreanu has a fairly healthy bank balance (though no where near as high as some pitch it) and with his GG ambassador pay he can cover such WSOP losses and with other winnings come out ahead for most years.

However, one interesting thing to ponder is if he did not have his GG ambassador salary would his game sharpen up noticeably?

EnzoRS94

EnzoRS94

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
No he gives no indication he has one.

A lot of this ground has been gone over earlier in the thread but perhaps some aspects bear more focus in particular because Negreanu discussed the WSOP and being down $1.1 million on the latest DAT podcast.

As I stated previously, I think some in the poker community vastly overrate what players net, therefore their real worth and as has been said many times The Hendon Mob stats are both informative and misleading. Also, the idea any player casually writes off over a million in losses is a stretch. Yes, for the high rollers they suffer such swings with regularity but also with the expectation they will bounce back and that is where things get a little debatable with Negreanu. As noted, if Negreanu had not bagged $8 million in the Big One For One Drop (2014) he would have been down for a span of half a dozen years. He then picked up another $3 million (2018) in a higher roller and then has cashed large prizes throughout recent years though its hard to gauge whether these cover potential WSOP losses and other high roller buy ins which all appear very Las Vegas centric.

Negreanu gave a breakdown of sorts as noted and made the case that the $1.1 million WSOP loss was the cost of doing business. There is truth in that but then he needed to relate how the loss was not as bad as it seemed.

Regarding backers again – in the podcast there was no mention of backers and no indication that GG pays for buy ins. I am sure they cover some of his buy ins but the idea Negreanu free rolls the WSOP is highly unlikely.

Negreanu was keen to show he made some side income during the series (which again gives the game away the overall loss had stung). One of the first things he pointed out was that people had brought pieces of him on Pocket Fives, which I found a little tasteless under the circumstances but perhaps that’s just me.

Then Negreanu’s team came second (to Maria Ho) in the WSOP Fantasy draft which earned the team $100,000. Negreanu also said he had a side bet with each team which I presume led to a similar amount being recouped. Negreanu then claimed he had two horses in the WSOP. I am guessing one was Eddie Sabat who made $200,000 this WSOP (not sure of his buy ins). Finally, he related someone who owed a long standing debt settled with him at the WSOP and that was for $350,000.

I am going to stick with what I posed earlier in the thread. I am sure Negreanu has a fairly healthy bank balance (though no where near as high as some pitch it) and with his GG ambassador pay he can cover such WSOP losses and with other winnings come out ahead for most years.

However, one interesting thing to ponder is if he did not have his GG ambassador salary would his game sharpen up noticeably?
Man, I hell love your posts.
The way you use to tell your opinion about something just makes me want to read everything and not miss a thing.
You're great mate, thanks for the informations.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wow a million dollars, I would cry all day if I lost that amount of money

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Man, I hell love your posts.
The way you use to tell your opinion about something just makes me want to read everything and not miss a thing.
You're great mate, thanks for the informations.
Thanks for the kind words EnzoRS94, they are genuinely appreciated!

What are your thoughts (if you have time) ...would Negreanu's game improve if all he had to do was concentrate on his game rather than fulfill the ambassador's role? Of course, one can argue the flip side -he enjoys the ambassador role and profile and the financial security allows him to play in a more relaxed manner, with variance raising its head as this year.

EnzoRS94

EnzoRS94

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Thanks for the kind words EnzoRS94, they are genuinely appreciated!

What are your thoughts (if you have time) ...would Negreanu's game improve if all he had to do was concentrate on his game rather than fulfill the ambassador's role? Of course, one can argue the flip side -he enjoys the ambassador role and profile and the financial security allows him to play in a more relaxed manner, with variance raising its head as this year
You know what I think, I think he should stick to cash games, wear GGPoker's merch everywhere and enjoy his retirement.

ikescherer

ikescherer

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Since he is a ambassador of the sport and of a poker house they will not let prosper the intel that even a very skillful player loses money playing poker.

He must keep the image of a sucessfull player.

dartablasta

dartablasta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just saw his videos and omg!! over 1 mill looses, sick bad run. D:

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Since he is a ambassador of the sport and of a poker house they will not let prosper the intel that even a very skillful player loses money playing poker.

He must keep the image of a successful player.
BUT... perhaps this lets the amateur player believe... 'anyone can win' (if the 'pros' aren't always winning... someone else is)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
game selection.
Did you see Shaun Deeb entering (& re-entering) the $250k? What about Jon Van Fleet... or a couple/few hundred other top players who don't enter those tourneys.

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dani has a bad luck time on all WSOP that he runs out ands its fine if you look into variance his is just in a bad tendency. This is just a good oportunity to leran with one of best players of our era that poker is a life time expirience and you cannot look it into a fotograph poker is a long doc.

Whompus

Whompus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
He's my favorite to watch play. He's good and if I had to bet I would bet that he adds to his bracelet collection this year.

WSOP