Daniel Negreanu has an idea for a Poker series

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I saw this on twitter the other day! It sounds like a great tournament idea! There's so much more skill added when you don't have to worry about someone donk shoving and re-buying 4 times.

And the no late reg, definitely something I would love to see. Just have to make sure the prize pool is guaranteed to help ensure people going.

A

aj88xa869

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Shells!

I very much like the idea to go back to "old school days" with the freezouts, no late reg, and mixed games.

I also believe Daniel is perfectly capable of pulling this off because he has great social media influence and probably the most fans in poker world.

Will he do this? Only time will tell. I'm just pondering what cool name he would assign to it!

shane4050

shane4050

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest i would hope so, it would so alot better for new players in my opinion. Especially those learning bankroll management lol

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That would be great news for many players who hate rebuy tournaments and late regs.Despite the fact he is not anymore the face of pokerstars,he is still one of most charismatic poker players in the world and maybe many bussiness men would like to give him a hand.

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is great news! I fully support the idea of Daniel Negreanu. There is no doubt that Daniel will succeed and the launch of a new poker series will be popular among most fans in the world of poker.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes, This is a great idea and many would support this. However is this not having your cake and eating it?

Negreanu has exploited rebuys for years. In fact he is doing so at the moment because he is taking advantage of every rebuy he can at the wsop Europe, currently in Rozvadov. Can anyone precise the number of rebuys he has already made in the first few days? He has openly discussed it on his Vlog, playing aggressively, wildly to try to build a stack quickly..

So my guess might be Negreanu has received some flack for this - particularly as he is now selling shares in himself to the public to compete in all WSOP events and this practice is seen as spewy.

I have always thought rebuys should be restricted (should be banned for all key/main events etc.) as it brutalizes the average rec or aspiring player. In fact I think it was Ludovic Geilich who told of his own experience as an aspiring player in his first major tourney. He had scrambled to get entry fees, then hitched several hundred miles to play. Early in the first days play he had a very strong hand when a player came over the top of him all-in. He then went all in to find the villain had a mediocre hand and was just trying to push people off pots...except his hand strengthened and Ludovic's did not so he was out.

If my memory is correct the villain was Rob Yong the owner of the club where the event was taking place and as he was wealthy he could simply run over players at the table (credit where it is due Rob Yong no longer plays in such rebuy events due to the negative impression it gives).

However, this Negreanu 'pitch' feels rich to me as Negreanu could have taken a personal stand against rebuys for years by refusing to rebuy. Instead of which, whilst sending out this Tweet, he is in currently in a the middle of a rebuy frenzy.

Does he presume we are all unaware of this?

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This actually really does make me laugh because Negreanu underlines that such a series would also include no late registration.

Again, at the WSOP Europe where Negreanu is currently playing he has essentially late registered for every event he has played. It's all there in his Vlogs.

It's sort of an insult to intelligence for Negreanu to be striking this pose. Then, let me speculate, if 'Daniel's' idea gets traction it will promptly be launched behind a PokerGo paywall.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I dislike rebuys and reenters , but ofcourse pros really like them . I almost never rebuy . As for the late registration , I don't know , I am not against it telling the truth , I am making use of it , in online and live tournamnents it's usefull imo .... Anyway , I wish him good luck in successfully launching this new poker series and time will show if that's a good idea .

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really like it, I have been saying for a long time the tournament world needs to return to freezeouts and level the playing field. That what tourney poker was all about and what made it popular. All the infinite rebuying has changed the game and made tournaments more like cash.

<3 THE RETURN OF THE FREEZEOUTS !

C

canfoldaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would play it if it's in vegas

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not a live player, but I can certainly see, how rebuy might affect the way, people play, way more in live tournaments. You traveled to the event, and the next one might be far away in time and distance, so there is a lot of opportunity cost, if you bust early.

With that being said I also wish, there would be more freezeout tournaments online. The closest thing today is PokerStars multi table SnGs, but these die out at a fairly low limit, and you never know, how long you have to wait for a SnG to start.

I would really love to see poker sites move to time scheduled shootout tournaments, that start for instance on the hour, and then just play with whatever number of people have registered and for whatever price pool, that generate.

Sure I understand, that late registration is convenient, and I also use it myself sometimes. But then at least limit it to 30 minutes or something, so that people can not skip the first 11 blind levels of an online tournament and then enter as a short stacker.

Winning a tournament should be about navigating successfully through all its faces from an average stack size of more than 100BB in the beginning, to whatever it comes down to later.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dislike rebuys and reenters , but ofcourse pros really like them . I almost never rebuy . As for the late registration , I don't know , I am not against it telling the truth , I am making use of it , in online and live tournamnents it's usefull imo .... Anyway , I wish him good luck in successfully launching this new poker series and time will show if that's a good idea .

I think, there is a very big difference between live and online here. In live tournaments many recreational players can only afford one buyin, so allowing rebuys will make the fields tougher and reduce the chance for a recreational player to run deep or win the whole thing.

However online, where most people play for a few dollars, this is certainly not the case. Online recreational players rebuy just as much as regulars, or maybe even more. So online I cant see any reason at all, why late registration should be allowed but not rebuy.

To me it should be either this tournament is now closed and play, until only one person is standing, or everyone can still buy in. It makes no sense to exclude people, just because they played it already. At least not with the tournaments, that run every day. Maybe you could argue for it with something a bit more special like the Sunday Million or even rarer events.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I presume Negreanu’s whole no re-buy tourney idea ( a good idea) was kicked off because the guys vying for WSOP Player Of The Year Award came under criticism from the likes of Jamie Kerstetter and Lon McEachern for rebuying like banshees for the first few events at Rozvadov.Apparently Sean Deeb might have re-bought eleven times in the first event alone.

Lon McEachern suggested points for the POTY award should accrue through a first bullet only. Excellent idea!

So Daniel Negreanu has some ‘splainin’ to do on this weeks DAT podcast and much of it had me laughing out loud. Of course Daniel is all for doing away with re-buys, he hates hates hates them, but you know does take advantage, but hates hates hates them. After he’s finished explaining himself for several minutes Adam Schwartz casually reminds him of some years ago when Daniel was playing with Layne Flack (?) in a 1K tourney when they re-bought a hefty amount. Daniel takes the bait… and of course goes into Daniel larger than life mode….

...yes, he did re-buy 23 times (twenty three, yes) but then broke his own record by re-buying 27 times (twenty seven, yes). But wait , there’s more…Daniel relates in another 1K tournament (his record) he once re-bought 49 times (forty nine, yes) but as he ended up coming third it was plus EV.

I’ll admit I was laughing through all this but then did think about all those less well-heeled entrants trying to play their way through a tourney facing an onslaught of Pro’s re-buying. Not exactly an even playing field.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Out of the mouths of babes...

In a post above I posed …"let me speculate, if 'Daniel's' idea gets traction it will promptly be launched behind a PokerGo paywall".

On this weeks Poker Central podcast...

Remko Rinkema - let's say hypothetically if this is happening, it needs to be in Vegas I'm presuming?

Brent Hanks - Oh it'll probably be in Vegas it'll probably be in our studio!

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
DANIEL NEGREANU TO START HIS OWN POKER SERIES?

no add ons or rebuys. i think this is a great idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good idea of DN! I don't like re-entries and late registration. the tournament doesn't take so long to reach the final table. I don't play big stakes yet but I like that kind of tournament.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think this is a great idea
Moneymaker has a tour. Lex has a yearly series. Why not Daniel, arguably the most iconic of the three. Good luck to him if he starts this, I would love to play one!

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Daniel N is a hard name in poker and his idea is embraced by many players. Personally, I want to know from the beginning all aspects of the game regarding buy in, number of players and places awarded so I wish him success in his endeavor.

namvidnee

namvidnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That would be great. I think he'll do it.

D

danntesvarna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Daniel is absolute professional in all poker businesses.