Daniel Negreanu is the 2019 WSOP Player of the Year

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congratulations to Daniel, better him than Chris Ferguson or any of the other Full Tilt crooks. However, I wish he didn't get there using so many rebuys, it seems almost like he bought the title rather than winning it straight.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Congratulations to Daniel, better him than Chris Ferguson or any of the other Full Tilt crooks. However, I wish he didn't get there using so many rebuys, it seems almost like he bought the title rather than winning it straight.

Zinzir-

Agree 100% ...whilst all the time talking out of both sides of his mouth about hating rebuys and proposing a rebuy/late reg free series of tourneys.

Didn't Negreanu rebuy 18 times in the Colossus final event, alone?

usmc2doc

usmc2doc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
POY obviously means more to him than money, and for those with money i guess that is his prerogative. All the hoops he had to jump through to get POY though seems extensive to me. I would have focused on winning money instead of winning an award that doesn't really give you a reward. Sure, the title is nice and it might cause other promotional advantages vs other poker players (e.g. we have the POY backing our brand, etc.), but toll it took on him to get it might take many months to recoup from. Not least is the equity his investors lost. Still my favorite player, but sheesh. :confused:

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
usmc2doc -

Fair points well made. I think you are on the money with the idea of the POTY award and what it means to Negreanu. In the last DAT podcast this was self-evident even though he was decrying the rebuys needed. He knows many now think the title has no credibility (due to the rebuy shenanigans) and in all likelihood the WSOP will be forced to change the structure. That said he then passed a comment that tucking three titles under his belt might become impossible for anyone else to ever match (with potential changes in the offing).

I am not sure Negreanu was genuinely bothered by any of the criticism - you are correct, he simply wanted the title.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just in case anyone wants to watch DNegs full journey to being crowned POY, I have linked the first episodes for his Vegas and Euro legs. You can watch them how you like.

VEGAS VLOG

EURO VLOG

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Way to go Daniel. 3rd time is an amazing feat to accomplish.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He's a monster, congrats to him...!

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Congratulations Daniel , he's an awesome player who deserves this title , really nice to hear this news :)

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He used to be my favorite player hands down, but his arrogant comments over the past year dropped him down the list. I used to admire his intelligence, but question it now based on his wrong assumptions. There's no denying his skill, but now I'm without a player to look up to. What a douchebag.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
He used to be my favorite player hands down, but his arrogant comments over the past year dropped him down the list. I used to admire his intelligence, but question it now based on his wrong assumptions. There's no denying his skill, but now I'm without a player to look up to. What a douchebag.

Personally, I particularly liked him giving the finger (literally) to his critics in one of the last vlogs.

I think its also relevant to point out that the re-entry/re-buy frenzy (which finally shredded the what little credibility was left of POTY) was conducted after Negreanu had sold shares. Whilst he did not charge mark up, he conducted the spending spree of re-buys at fifty cents on the dollar. Nice!

Of course, it then should be pointed out that as he secured the POTY award, he then lost over $200,000 in the 'process' at Rozvadov, half of which came from his loyal fanbase...

Last edited:
D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There's no denying his skill, but now I'm without a player to look up to. What a douchebag.

Personally, I particularly liked him giving the finger (literally) to his critics in one of the last vlogs.

I think its also relevant to point out that the re-entry/re-buy frenzy (which finally shredded what little was credibility was left of POTY award) was conducted after Negreanu had sold shares. Whilst he did not charge mark up, he conducted the spending spree of re-buys at fifty cents on the dollar. Nice!

Of course, it then should be pointed out that as he 'secured' the POTY award, he then lost over $200,000 in the 'process' in Rozvadov, half of which came from his loyal fanbase...

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
He really wanted it. If you are a good enough player and can sink thousands and thousands of dollars in countless tournament entries to grind for the title, yeah you can do it.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although he didn´t receive money for being the WSOP POY,for Daniel it was very important to win it for the third time.I hope that next year he can win his seventh bracelet.Congratulations!

WSOP