André Akkari from the interview on the leading tv channel

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
André Akkari gave an interview on the Do Pedro Bial program at dawn on 05/14. Pedro Bial is a very prestigious presenter, known for presenting O fantastic, Big Brother brasil among others.
André Akkari addressed the issue of poker being a sport of the mind a lot and the migration of sportsmen from other areas to poker was also strongly emphasized. The interview was also attended by Neymar jr and Maurem, the pole vault Olympic medalist who also intends to become a professional poker player.
It is a great stimulus to see poker taking on this type of visibility here in brazil, to break paradigms and taboos that are often created by laymen or non-poker fans, the need for and the possibility of poker becoming an Olympic sport was also addressed. . Akkari emphasized: "Ten years ago it might have seemed crazy that surfing became an Olympic sport as well as skateboarding and today we see that this is a reality so it would be crazy to think that poker cannot be an Olympic sport."

Andre Akkari interview

https://bnldata.com.br/comunidade-do-poker-festeja-entrevista-de-andre-akkari-na-tv-globo/

(in Portuguese)

Last edited by a moderator:
acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's already available on Youtube in portuguese. Poker as an olympic sport i think it is difficult, because historically there have been cases of bank fraud and money laundering. And legalizing would be a gateway for that purpose and other crimes.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's already available on Youtube in portuguese. Poker as an olympic sport i think it is difficult, because historically there have been cases of bank fraud and money laundering. And legalizing would be a gateway for that purpose and other crimes.

yes it is true, but I guarantee that it is not only in poker that cases of money laundering occur, there must be these types of situations in other sports. But legalization is certainly the way.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
André Akkari from the interview with the main TV channel, for me he is one of the best poker players in the world and a good coach to learn and study his good poker materials.

L

Lexand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pedro Bial is a very prestigious presenter

Prestige for presenting Big Brother!!?? (with all due respect, but no one on that station has any more prestige, they may have had it in the past, today no more ...).

As for Akkari, without comment, the guy has simply been the greatest poker ambassador in Brazil for a long time. Monster !!

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Prestige for presenting Big Brother!!?? (with all due respect, but no one on that station has any more prestige, they may have had it in the past, today no more ...).

As for Akkari, without comment, the guy has simply been the greatest poker ambassador in Brazil for a long time. Monster !!

I meant that it is the broadcaster with the most visibility, and although we both don't like this program or even the broadcaster, it does not negate the fact. And yes it has a lot of prestige if no one watched and not even you would know what it is about.:)

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.Akkari is not only a great poker player but he is also a celebrity in Brazil and well deserved it because as a pokerstars Team Pro he has done a lot for this game in that country.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Does anyone have a link for this news? I did add the YouTube video in the first post.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.Akkari is not only a great poker player but he is also a celebrity in Brazil and well deserved it because as a PokerStars Team Pro he has done a lot for this game in that country.

Yes it's true! This recognition is beautiful on your part even though it is not your nationality!

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone have a link for this news? I did add the YouTube video in the first post.

Ah yes I thought I was going crazy.:bird::D
I think the
acidburnfx knows where to find the interview in question, he mentioned above.

Thanks for the video I will watch!

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Ah yes I thought I was going crazy.:bird::D
I think the
acidburnfx knows where to find the interview in question, he mentioned above.

Thanks for the video I will watch!

I have now added a link to the written news in the first post. :)

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have now added a link to the written news in the first post. :)

I watched every video that you posted, excellent interview. Much more complete than Andre AKKari's. Thanks!:)

Actually there on this site is just the announcement of the AKKari interview, but I found the link on the Official program channel here:

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I watched every video that you posted, excellent interview. Much more complete than Andre AKKari's. Thanks!:)

Actually there on this site is just the announcement of the AKKari interview, but I found the link on the Official program channel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDE3-UgHByI

I posted a couple of links that were in English in the first post. The video is in Portuguese. Remember, we need something in English since CardsChat is an English forum. Thanks! :)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The issue concerning Poker becoming an Olympic sport has been discussed before on these forums.

I think it a non-starter. The problem those who promote such an idea overlook, is the vast majority of the public do not consider poker remotely connected to sport. Bridge has made more inroads with the IOC and they recognize that as a 'sport' but not an Olympic one. I do not believe poker is seen in the same manner.

The comparison with surfing is a real stretch. Competitive surf competitions have been held for decades with well established tours and it goes without saying that surfing demands a high level of physical fitness.

I believe this is where people nominating their favorite pastime to become an Olympic sport will fall short. If the IOC keeps allowing fringe 'sports' and activities into the Olympics they will water down their own content and fewer and fewer people will take the events seriously.

The other thing to consider is that poker players seem to live somewhat in a bubble. The general public's interest in poker is somewhat limited. It might have been enjoying a boom in Brazil but it has not been booming across the world in a similar fashion (ESPN dropping the wsop for example). Further, as I keep mentioning (though few care) most content (US and international) is now stuck behind the PokerGo paywall which has meant people have less access to poker on TV than at any other time in the last few decades.

Sorry, but regarding poker and the Olympics -I cannot see it happening

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The issue concerning Poker becoming an Olympic sport has been discussed before on these forums.

I think it a non-starter. The problem those who promote such an idea overlook, is the vast majority of the public do not consider poker remotely connected to sport. Bridge has made more inroads with the IOC and they recognize that as a 'sport' but not an Olympic one. I do not believe poker is seen in the same manner.

The comparison with surfing is a real stretch. Competitive surf competitions have been held for decades with well established tours and it goes without saying that surfing demands a high level of physical fitness.

I believe this is where people nominating their favorite pastime to become an Olympic sport will fall short. If the IOC keeps allowing fringe 'sports' and activities into the Olympics they will water down their own content and fewer and fewer people will take the events seriously.

The other thing to consider is that poker players seem to live somewhat in a bubble. The general public's interest in poker is somewhat limited. It might have been enjoying a boom in Brazil but it has not been booming across the world in a similar fashion (ESPN dropping the WSOP for example). Further, as I keep mentioning (though few care) most content (US and international) is now stuck behind the PokerGo paywall which has meant people have less access to poker on TV than at any other time in the last few decades.

Marginal activities?:D
I stopped at this point in your post nor will I bother to read the rest ... So you consider yourself a marginal?
Why are you a member of a poker forum and I suppose you play too.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I stopped at this point in your post nor will I bother to read the rest ... So you consider yourself a marginal?

Why the tone?

"So you consider yourself a marginal?"...what is that supposed to mean? It's also rather mindless to say you have not read my post...but then proceed to comment. Further, where did I even say marginal?

I replied in a polite and detailed manner and noted the public's perception/involvement in poker and the idea of it being a sport. What percentage of the public would you think playing cards equates to a sport?

The history of the Olympic games is dotted with sports (actual sports as it is) which host nations have allowed and then subsequent Olympic games have dropped. Further I pointed out in recent years the exposure of poker to the public has been limited due to media consolidation and placing most content behind a paywall.

Plenty there to reply to within a frank exchange of views rather than flying off the handle in an immature manner.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

I think you may have misunderstood, DS. This is only his opinion, for which we are all entitled to and nothing else.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you may have misunderstood, DS. This is only his opinion, for which we are all entitled to and nothing else.

yes i understand, but if he said that poker is a marginal game and plays it, then ...

this is just my opinion too ,it is not an offense, it is a fact.:)

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The other thing to consider is that poker players seem to live somewhat in a bubble. The general public's interest in poker is somewhat limited. It might have been enjoying a boom in Brazil but it has not been booming across the world in a similar fashion (ESPN dropping the WSOP for example). Further, as I keep mentioning (though few care) most content (US and international) is now stuck behind the PokerGo paywall which has meant people have less access to poker on TV than at any other time in the last few decades.

It was in that part here that you said: If the IOC keeps allowing fringe 'sports' and activities into the Olympics they will water down their own content and fewer and fewer people will take the events seriously.But I assume it may have been some error in the translation. If this is the case I apologize.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It was in that part here that you said: If the IOC keeps allowing fringe 'sports' and activities into the Olympics they will water down their own content and fewer and fewer people will take the events seriously.But I assume it may have been some error in the translation. If this is the case I apologize.

I presumed Portuguese is your first language and maybe you did not grasp (or translated) the word 'fringe' as marginal, but that is not the meaning in this context. For example you can say 'fringe festival' with rock music and what it would mean is alternative bands outside of the mainstream. It's not derogatory.

In each Olympic games sports come and go depending on what the IOC accepts or rejects and in Rio the games accepted were Rugby Sevens and Golf - other sports such as baseball and squash were not accepted. Therefore I think it safe to assume if the IOC has not yet accepted baseball, poker is not likely to be on committee members lists either.

Thanks you for the apology, humbly accepted. Boa Sorte!

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I presumed Portuguese is your first language and maybe you did not grasp (or translated) the word 'fringe' as marginal, but that is not the meaning in this context. For example you can say 'fringe festival' with rock music and what it would mean is alternative bands outside of the mainstream. It's not derogatory.

In each Olympic games sports come and go depending on what the IOC accepts or rejects and in Rio the games accepted were Rugby Sevens and Golf - other sports such as baseball and squash were not accepted. Therefore I think it safe to assume if the IOC has not yet accepted baseball, poker is not likely to be on committee members lists either.

yes, i understand, but the context is very clear my friend just read the rest of the verse: they will dilute their own content and fewer and fewer people will take events seriously.
But it’s okay that I don’t understand the language very well.
We Brazilians are all::icon_monk:hmmmm2:

I thought the rock events were underground ...

.:thrasher:

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

But all the same, my friend, that is your opinion and I have my opinion that is contrary to yours, but that does not mean that I am obliged to read your comment. And life that follows
and hug.:)

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are subtitles for English here also the link:
I don't know if the link will already be subtitled ...

I must also emphasize that in the video there are two Olympic athletes who support poker in the Olympics Maurem, who was a medalist in pole vaulting and migrated to poker, and also Neymar Jr, who has already participated in the Olympics and everyone already knows his involvement with poker. .

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker should be left as is, and try to keep it safe and reputable because once it is legalized as says it will be a catastrophe for the game itself.
I still maintain that it is not a sport and therefore I do not think that it should be included as an Olympic sport more there of all the shady negosiations that exist around.
I agree that it is a game where mind it is fundamental