Al Alvarez author of 'The Biggest Game in Town' dies

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
English poet, critic, and author Al Alvarez, best known in poker circles for writing the groundbreaking book “The Biggest Game in Town,” died on Monday of pneumonia in London, according to his literary representatives. He was 90.

'The Biggest Game in Town' was published in 1983 and was based on the 1981 world series of poker event. He was credited for starting the genre of poker literature and with bringing Texas Holdem (and poker in general) to a wider audience for the first time.

Al Alvarez, Author of ‘The Biggest Game in Town,’ Dies at Age 90

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every poker player should read this book.

If not for the historical perspective it offer on the origins of the wsop and the colorful characters that created the Vegas poker boom, then simply because Alvarez does an admirable job of eloquently putting into words the poker dreams and aspirations of so many of us.

R.I.P.
Condolences to his family.

Dutydog

Dutydog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every poker player should read this book.

If not for the historical perspective it offer on the origins of the WSOP and the colorful characters that created the Vegas poker boom, then simply because Alvarez does an admirable job of eloquently putting into words the poker dreams and aspirations of so many of us.

R.I.P.
Condolences to his family.
Totally agree. It’s the best written book about poker I’ve read. It has insight, wonderful imagery and Alvarez had a brilliant literary style.

T

tatapescarilor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
“ You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.

Top 10 Games