Can You Multitask while Pokering?

BUSB0Y

BUSB0Y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While it's generally not a great idea to be doing other things while you're playing poker (if you're trying to make money that is), the advent of "fast-play" poker allows us to do this!

You don't lose too much advantage (if any) by playing Blitz (ACR's version of fast play). This is because HUD's don't work (or aren't allowed) on this version (on ACR at least).

I'm a big fan because this is great for recreational players-- who have probably been pushed further and further from the game since HUDs have been more prevalent.

Personally, I am able to combine two things that I love doing: Overwatch and Poker. I play ACR Blitz while I am waiting for a game during my OW queue times, lol. This is about as efficient as I can be-- wrote more about my personal experience here.

Does anyone else multitask while playing poker? And, has anyone found the beauty that fast-play/Blitz allows?

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I see your video about ACR Blitz, cool
I only play in PS and not good in multitasking while playing, I have to training :biggrin:

B

BlackSpider

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I can only envy your experience since I still can not differentiate the attention. Probably need more training))

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While it's generally not a great idea to be doing other things while you're playing poker (if you're trying to make money that is), the advent of "fast-play" poker allows us to do this!

You don't lose too much advantage (if any) by playing Blitz (ACR's version of fast play). This is because HUD's don't work (or aren't allowed) on this version (on ACR at least).

I'm a big fan because this is great for recreational players-- who have probably been pushed further and further from the game since HUDs have been more prevalent.

Personally, I am able to combine two things that I love doing: Overwatch and Poker. I play ACR Blitz while I am waiting for a game during my OW queue times, lol. This is about as efficient as I can be-- wrote more about my personal experience here.

Does anyone else multitask while playing poker? And, has anyone found the beauty that fast-play/Blitz allows?

I just started multi-tabling fast fold on microgaming but haven't done it long enough to see how it affects winrate, the countdown timers are pretty fast on the site I play so it's been challenging so far trying to give max attention to each game window. I don't think I could do more than 3 at the moment, it takes super intense focus.

I certainly wouldn't be able to multitask while playing fast fold but it's easy enough to do at regular tables after I've gotten my reads on the players there.

And I love Blitz and similar formats lately for one specific reason. I found it really beneficial to actually get reads on fast-fold players if it's a small enough player pool, because then you can easily avoid pots with the difficult players, can't do that while multi-tasking :). Small field fast-fold is like regular poker where you can get reads on everyone, all while deciding who you want to play with and who you don't want to play with, it's pure magic and does wonders for winrate and variance :D.

Last edited:
M

MaZeee323

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No I can’t and won’t it ATM because in the past days I played only one table e.g. and had a much better win rate. Few days ago I played 4 tables at the same time and become tilt very fast. After that I played only one and made better decisions. Sometimes I have the TV playing but it’s only running in the background I can’t watch it :D I think when I play more poker then I’ll got it and try it with 2 tables maybe and slowly increase the amount of tables but not for now.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My version of multitasking while playing is multi tabling. In the past, I used to watch a tv show when I got down to only a few tables left, but I realized that my split attention was costing me at the tables. I’m simply not able to play my A Game when I divide me own attention across interests, even though I’m able to play quite a few poker tourneys at once (among a variety of formats). Everyone’s different of course though! :)

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hello,

I try sometimes to do something else while playing, for distraction, but it is quite difficult since I multitable MTTs!

gl

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I run a "home-based business" (which means I have an office for my law practice, but I generally work from home) and 3 children at home, ages 5 months, 2 years and 9 years. I am ALWAYS multi-tasking when I play, whether it's feeding and burping the baby, keeping the 2 year old reigned in, drafting a Motion between hands or tournaments, or whatever. I have a jam packed life but I love poker, so I do what I can to be able to play profitably while balancing out my real world responsibilities.

I have only played a few times, but I am becoming a huge fan of Blitz poker.

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If multitasking includes searching and watching videos on YT, doing some research and reading then sure, I can multitask.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I see video at early stage, but always stop to see when near at ITM, near ITM I focus at the table. That is a way that I know to dont be tired after several hours playing.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am always multitabling in poker (generally freerolls) and ofc multitasking. I have other things to do in my house, you know, it's not only poker in our lives. Or I can browse the internet (poker forums, for example) on the second monitor while playing. It almost never happens when I only play poker and nothing else.

M

moosepaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a good idea... except when you know your opponents

Understanding your opponent's tendencys takes some time to figure out, and is an advantage. Aside from that, reading a board state isn't too bad most of the time, but you'll probably play a little less optimal when deep hands occur.

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi.
I do not know if this comment has to do with the slogan of the thread, but I, as a freerolls player (and sits also but I do not play them when I am in MTT) I am usually at the same time in 6 or more tables, all from different rooms and , in general, with different format. I imagine that it must be quite simple to play this amount of tables in the same room with the same table format but hey, we'll see in the future, when I have a bankroll. As always I apologize for my rustic English, high school mix and google translator.
Best regards.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually have 1-3 tables and watching tv/youtube.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Your financial results must be evidence of your performance. If you make a profit in combining these things, then all is well. Personally, I usually concentrate my efforts on only one direction.
Good luck.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
during the game I read news or some interesting articles

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i was on top of my form, when i was in my twenties i could play 2-4 double up sngs while reading a book, while studying, i trained myself to make it quite easily but of course i wasn't making the most of my studying while playing. I tried to do the same a year ago and it was crazy, i couldn't focus on neither of these things :D I had a break in poker for some time, that could be a reason but it's more likely that getting older is the main reason.