Will Online Poker Shut Down For US Players?

T

thielcats

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was wondering if anyone has heard any news on new poker legislation for U.S players. Hopefully sites like pokerstars and Absolute will stay strong towards there American players.

Thewebmaster

Thewebmaster

Freeroll #2 Winner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't beleive it

Hi all,
Hi thielcats,
Will online poker shut down for US players? Quick answer...NO
I believe eventually it will get sorted out in favor of american players, I don't personally think there is enough being done by the pros, they have a lot of fans and a lot of people who would take notice of them if they would get involved more.
I think the big point is to come to an agreement that poker is a game of skill, once that is proved there shouldn't be any problem. Some states ban online poker because it is "gambling" a "game of chance/luck". Once you prove it's a game of skill they would have to lift the ban for online poker.
I saw an argument posted a while ago about a case where the judge stated something like "at the end of the day you can't turn a deuce into an ace". That's the worst statement/argument i've ever heard. It's like saying you can't turn a football into a touchdown/goal, it's how you play it.

Quickest way to get online poker reinstated into the US is to get some televised programs showing that it is in fact a game of skill not luck.

Tony:)

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not to sure about the US, It seems pretty messed up

Here in the UK , I am not certain of the future either. On one hand they say they are relaxing gambling laws, but on the other hand, all you hear in the news is how it is to easy to lose your house and all your money without leaving your front door.

Hopefully it can be sorted out so there is a future for online gambling in the US too, I miss all those drunken fish that I used to catch :D

Insomniac_1006

Insomniac_1006

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Poker Players Alliance

You will find information about the status of Poker at the Poker Players Alliance. Two current resolutions are bound to make on-line gaming leagle in the US. assuming of course that people speak up...

H.R. 2046: Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act of 2007
H.R. 2607: Internet Gambling Regulation and Tax Enforcement Act of 2007

Poker Players Alliance: Fight for Poker

T

trouble92

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
The U.S. goverment will never do anything unless and until more people complain about it. They count on people just putting up with everything they try to pull on us. It's amazing how many people I talk to that feel like u can't fight city hall so y bother. Everyone needs to remember they work for us and their jobs are temporary at best. So my advice to all U.S. residents is voice your opinions to your elected represenatives. There is always some election coming up.

Last edited:
reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The poker rooms that nurture US business are thriving, for the most part, and as long as that remains the casem our future in online poker remains secure.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,
Hi thielcats,
Will online poker shut down for US players? Quick answer...NO
I believe eventually it will get sorted out in favor of american players, I don't personally think there is enough being done by the pros, they have a lot of fans and a lot of people who would take notice of them if they would get involved more.
I think the big point is to come to an agreement that poker is a game of skill, once that is proved there shouldn't be any problem. Some states ban online poker because it is "gambling" a "game of chance/luck". Once you prove it's a game of skill they would have to lift the ban for online poker.
I saw an argument posted a while ago about a case where the judge stated something like "at the end of the day you can't turn a deuce into an ace". That's the worst statement/argument i've ever heard. It's like saying you can't turn a football into a touchdown/goal, it's how you play it.

Quickest way to get online poker reinstated into the US is to get some televised programs showing that it is in fact a game of skill not luck.

I actually today read a thesis a grad student did titled "Poker is a game of skill". It doesn't even scratch the surface of the real skill, but it shows that basic knowledge of poker strategy (don't play 25o from UTG) increased results in an amount that was statistically significant. It more shows that people who spent 5 minutes reading a flier with poker strategy is better than a complete beginner, but that still shows that poker is skill. But seriously, how can people claim it's all luck? Of course a single session is determined by luck, but when you play enough you're playing the same hands again and again, the odds even out. Of course I have a feeling I'm preaching to the choir here :).

Berglar

Berglar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In the US, it won't matter if we prove it is skill. The government will need to save face 2nd, and get their money 1st. It may take some time. It may even be possible that the government doesn't even crack down on poker sites. I have only heard of sports betting online being hassled. I have not heard of any poker sites from being fined, shutdown, or arrests. It is a shame that so many poker sites are afraid to offer their action to the US, but thankfully so many are popping up.

BigStackJack

BigStackJack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
STEP IT UP

I aggree with all of you. But I highly doubt it will come to a complete end for U.S players. I think a lot of this has to deal with our government not making a full proffit on it. If they did it wouldn't be a question on where you couldn't play, But where you could. They would be sending out fliers with Poker sites on them saying "try this, Get paid here, Higher stakes There etc.etc.etc..." I believe in the future there will be a much higher gambling resource rather than online play for u.s.a players, as well as online. So I'm not too worried, but like others say help us fight at the poker aliance...DO YOUR PART PEOPLE

Thewebmaster

Thewebmaster

Freeroll #2 Winner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PPA Goes To Washington!

Hi all,
After sending an email to the PPA letting them know of my support and my thoughts and suggestions blah blah...they replied and gave me a link to their latest efforts in keeping up the pressure regarding the reinstating of online poker. Here is a copy of their email with a link to the latest info on their next big meeting held in Washington DC. Everyone is invited:

Thank you Tony. Are you aware of the Washington D.C. Fly-In the PPA is hosting next month. We would love to have you join us in D.C. for this important event. Link to invite is below :
http://pokerplayersalliance.org/news/newsandarticles_article.php?DID=270

Last edited: