Why do these people tank a long time when there is no reason to tank?

E

eugenedav

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I get so frustrated is this why they does this even at the very beginning of the tournament. It show work my nerves I have to walk away comeback others done joined in on it SMH. Something needs to be done bout excessive tanking online.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the beginning of the tournament it is usually because they are absent, and those who take time always do not find a reason why but also I have practically never played with players like that, as for the time bank I think it is fine in the different poker sites:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People can take the time, they want, as long as they dont do things like deliberately disconnect. If you get bored, then change, what you control yourself. Play games with less time allocation or add more tables to keep you busy.

A

arsenalcho_1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

everything affects this - fatigue mostly, previous hand played in the wrong way, ruining by TV or friends

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If they tank too much it's bad , but manytimes i have seen players playing with their time on the timebar (exact sec to call) or with their timebank , is this RNG trick game or not ....

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get so frustrated is this why they does this even at the very beginning of the tournament. It show work my nerves I have to walk away comeback others done joined in on it SMH. Something needs to be done bout excessive tanking online.

I get what you are saying.

But you have to understand that every player is entitled to use their entire time allotment - and yes they can use it up every time.

One reason to intentionally run the clock every hand every street - is to try to disguise any online tells that I may give away by making quick or slow decisions.

Good luck !

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There can be many reasons but probably most have to do with distraction They might be surfing the internet or watching TV etc. They might also have left to grab a quick snack or get coffee. In some cases if it is a freeroll they are working and trying to play poker at same time

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The simple fact is, you never know what the reason might be in online poker.

Perhaps they have an infant and it starts to cry and they have to suddenly leave to tend to their baby... perhaps they suddenly had a case of... well, I won't get graphic, but let's just say they had to run to the bathroom quickly... maybe they spilled hot coffee on themselves and ran to the freezer for ice cubes... maybe they suddenly had a heart attack, or maybe the police suddenly showed up pounding on the front door. LOL All these cases would result in a player using up their entire time bank in places that obviously don't require it (level one in a 5-hour-late-reg tournament). I've done it myself! I forget to click the sit-out button and just walk away from the computer, absent-mindedly, and I return to realize I have zero time bank left... ugh.

So its usually not a player who is thinking too much about their hand, that's what I'm trying to say. You just never know what the reason is, but poker is a game involving much patience, and this is just another spot where it doesn't benefit us to get mad or angry at these players. And its also why I'm rarely focused completely on my tables in the early going, I'm usually watching television off to the side or maybe even playing a video game along with my poker. But that's just my solution, everyone handles it differently, but my suggestion is, don't worry about it when this happens. This is why we are given time banks, just be thankful that when someone leaves the table, it usually only slows the game down for one turn, once their time bank is used up, they won't affect the game very much after that hand.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you think tanking online is frustrating, its ridiculous when playing live sometimes and even worse when they call with junk and 2 pair you or even better with runners..
Tanking to be honest is the least of my worries with poker - ive often tanked on hard decisions but rarely else and i certainly would not want to be the slow roll player.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It doesn't bother me much because there might be a good reason behind why they are doing it. As Poker Mike said, maybe it's not to give off any online tells, or maybe they're multi-tabling, in which case it's going to take them time to make a decision. The point is, I'm not going to make any assumptions about a player and their motivation to use their allotted time, which they are entitled to, just like I am with my timebank.

But, after watching a lot of live poker, the tanking that happens online is nowhere near close to as bad.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do get annoyed. Yes it is true that often there may be a good reason. What really annoys me when the BB does this. There may be 6 players who limp, and the BB has to put on a show of trying to decide whether or not to call.

My brain works super fast and I can usually make my decision on whether or not I'm going to call, raise, or fold in 1-2 seconds. What I have been doing is taking a few extra second before I make my decision for each hand. Not so much for disguising tells, but to legitimately think before I make a decision. I think of a good reason for that action that I am about to take. If I cannot come up with a good reason I will choose a different action.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
They went out for a pack off smokes.. they'll be back/

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get mad every single time. I believe some of this happens, coz ppl don't have a clue what to do, some use tanking as some kind of strange revenge to your aggression, some consider such play as strategy. And maybe poker platform having synchronizing issues with some countries ( feels like every player from Japan tanks)

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that mostly its because players are playing many tables and maybe making actions on other tables so they need more time.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
They got distracted by something else, are doing something else simultaneously, are multitabling, playing on their phone and not giving it full focus, etc. Source: the reason why I might be tanking.

And how it's affecting anyone is none of my problems :) We're given one time bank for an hour or even more, and this long tank can happen only once. If people can't handle regular time taken by a player, that means their mindset is pretty weak. I can only imagine what happens once they get a bad beat.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As you can see from the above posts, there are a nearly endless number of legitimate reasons for slow play & no way for you to know. The important thing is for you NOT to take it personally & let it interfere with good decision making.

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the begenning of the tournament is annoying.

But i can see why they do that on bubble time or pay jumps

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
As you can see from the above posts, there are a nearly endless number of legitimate reasons for slow play & no way for you to know. The important thing is for you NOT to take it personally & let it interfere with good decision making.

If you see someone in your table who has all the signs of possible slow play then it is not that hard to make sure that these individuals would be sitting out lol - sadly if you'd look to typical cc game then most people are actually afraid to take action which is quite shame ...

Izzeee

Izzeee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this for the freerolls?

I honestly believe you'll see that in micros and a lot of freerools because of lack of experience. However, there are some crushers in those games too.

cdntyler87

cdntyler87

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When I see someone time tanking at the beginning of a tournament to chalk it up to either they pre registered and haven’t made it yet or they are playing multiple tables… don’t let it bother you

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you will never know their reason

that's why there's always a limit in timebanks

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Okay, for all the reasons stated here, yes, at the start of a tournament people have not yet sat, though registered.

However, lets face it, some use it as a tactic to irritate. Essentially an anti-social player. I've known a few players that tank every hand they play because they know it starts irritating the crap out of every player and they presume it gives them an edge. It can do.

Tanking on the bubble? I actually respect those who negotiate the bubble with a short stack. Outside of that it doesn't throw me but does irk me.

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think they want to wreck your nerves, that's why. Or they are still in the shower, eating dinner, cleaning the house while playing ?

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well, if they do it at the beginning of the tournament and not on the bubble, then most likely they play a lot of tables or they have unstable internet

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
What is excessive for you is normal for most others.

It's their time, they can use it however they want, no one cares if you get upset over it.

:top: