Why do people play a lot of tables at one time

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that if you play multitable you need have practice and expierience. Play a lot of tables at the same time is not easy. For some players is good because they can earn more money but for other players can be really bad if you don’t know the strategy to play in this mode (multitable) 😀

Sorry for my english 🙏🏻😬 I speak spanish and I try communicate with my english

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It's hard for me to play so many tournaments at the same time, maximum 4 tables and it's not convenient, 2 is a thrill

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
The fewer tables open, the more destructive im at them. :cool:

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all this is usually done by pro's example: Jonathan little will play upwards of 15 tables at a time. Many poker coaches (also pro/semi pro) will do this. The reason as explained to me though I am probably misrepresenting the statement accurately is that you do this in order to reduce variance.

The players that do this consistently and have winning stats study this game and their hands a lot. And take the game very seriously. One guy I know semi/pro studies and coaches many hours a week, upwards of 20 because he also has a full time job.

In addition, instead of just opening a ton of tables his approach is to have strategies in place that allow him to make decisions within seconds. Generally he plays his hands consistently, has a Hud and adapt when necessary depending on his opponents stats.

I don't remember the actual numbers he used but as it was explained in a webinar I was in, a winning player is going to lose x amount of time, and by playing this many games at a time cuts his variance quite a bit. I am not mentioning his name because I do not want to misrepresent what he stated to me but if you check out Johnathan little he discusses this somewhere in one of his webinars unfortunately I can't find the webinar after using google.

But the idea is to spend plenty of hours working on your game get more than just the fundamentals down, develop a strategy and then implement that strategy on more and more tables. You can start with two and move up from their as you get more comfortable.

This is from pokerology regarding stats and variance;

The realities are:
  • Even the top pros only win tournaments less than 1% of the time. For some it was as low as 0.60%. So this means they are winning only 1 out of every 100 times. Of course variance doesn’t always come on schedule and they can go 200-300 tournaments without a win.
  • Top pros only final table around 3% of the time. Some are as low as 2%.
  • Top pros are only cashing about 13% of the time. This means they lose money 87% of the time they play! In fact, amateurs cash more often than pros. The difference is that when pros do cash, they cash deep more often.
    pokerology
Thanks for the link! I’ve been looking for an article like that with actual stats for a long time.

Here is the chart from the pokerology article:

171123E6 5A9D 4111 9345 8CD3B36967BC

Last edited:
Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Man I tried an Experiment tonight and boy was it a failure, I just kept on opening up table after table after table, after table, and I must say that eventually I hit a number of tables which I couldn't fit it all on my screen at 1 time so I then had to force myself to do it and play like that , damn i had hard time keeping track and focuse of what i'm doing
Multiple tables demands a) change style gear down, for, at the end, you gonna stick to just one or two, maybe; b) get or a very big screen to fit the tables as you like or more then one screen.

You must see all main games at one glance, to succeed.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've spent years playing minimum 12 tables, that's during 8+ hours per day, 5 days a week for maybe 6 years since 2010. Currently if i'm not drawing or programming anything and sitting at the PC just to play poker then I play between 9-12 tables. First of all you reduce the variance and in second it's slow and boring to play less than 6 tables.

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think if you focussed and a experienced player you could handle, more as one table. For some players it is to boring to play one table, because of the experience of the game the make decisions very fast and knew the game, so they did not think about decisions. If i play more than one table my play is better. I watch some streamers and the play 14 tourneys at the same time. In the endphase of the tourneys then there are not so much table.

N

Nusya

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably someone likes it and he can control the game on all tables.
The main thing is not to play too many tables in super turbo tournaments and hands up.

Dasha_21

Dasha_21

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
this is a reason to train your attentiveness and focus

Y

yabu77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play one table at a time, focus on what the others play like and after I can find a strategy to play against them. When I play on multiple tables it's like playing bingo.

mbermejo174

mbermejo174

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
More chances of get on the money, but i think its bad because you cant focus in the game!

Jamil

Jamil

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
You can play two or three tables even at the same time, but I challenge you, you will not complete until the end, your mind will be distracted and you will lose all the tables

Jamil

Jamil

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
One of the worst experiences I had was opening more than one table, and I discovered that I was wasting my time, and in the end I lost and did not win.

P

Panda19977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a bit bored by just playing one table and I can still Fokus up to 4 tables

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I play on average 2-4 tables and this is a comfortable and optimal number for me. My monitor allows me to place more tables, but I play to achieve a good result, not to set a record.
Good luck.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Those who play at several tables have a higher chance of winning if they are pressed for time, but the concentration is weaker and the results are not the desired ones at the end of the day, I say this from my own experience. I gave up playing more than 2 tables simultaneously

whinwa

whinwa

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean if you can profitably play many tables - Do it :)

stan1250

stan1250

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
No patience and like to be active

D

Dewitten

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer playing at 2-3 tables MTT because i give more action and i perform better than playing at a single table. I guess it keep my sharp and i loos my focus playing at 1 table. Later on the evening it ends at 1 table of course.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
To have a return on investment, you have to play a representative sample of the game.

It is difficult if not impossible to play a single table to arrive at a representative sample, so you have to play several tables at the same time to optimize the hourly rate of play.

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think the logic is that the more hands and tournaments you play, the more at a distance.you can win. For me, I can't play MTT for more than 8 tables and it's very hard. The most important thing is that it is difficult to understand how opponents play in such a game, there is simply no time for it.

nameless

nameless

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The number of tables is personal, you have to try not to get bored but not overwhelmed either.
start with 2 as soon as you control the strategy a bit, you will go up one by one.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I open .any freerolls and I play them at the same time cause it's free money so mistakes don't trouble me . I have the good games on the right of the screen and all freerolls all together one table upon the other . Generally I can play 2-3 tables good , with more I play bad . But if they are freerolls or freebies or centrolls , then it doesn't matter .

MrCryJoker

MrCryJoker

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
First of all this is usually done by pro's example: Jonathan little will play upwards of 15 tables at a time. Many poker coaches (also pro/semi pro) will do this. The reason as explained to me though I am probably misrepresenting the statement accurately is that you do this in order to reduce variance.

The players that do this consistently and have winning stats study this game and their hands a lot. And take the game very seriously. One guy I know semi/pro studies and coaches many hours a week, upwards of 20 because he also has a full time job.

In addition, instead of just opening a ton of tables his approach is to have strategies in place that allow him to make decisions within seconds. Generally he plays his hands consistently, has a Hud and adapt when necessary depending on his opponents stats.

I don't remember the actual numbers he used but as it was explained in a webinar I was in, a winning player is going to lose x amount of time, and by playing this many games at a time cuts his variance quite a bit. I am not mentioning his name because I do not want to misrepresent what he stated to me but if you check out Johnathan little he discusses this somewhere in one of his webinars unfortunately I can't find the webinar after using google.

But the idea is to spend plenty of hours working on your game get more than just the fundamentals down, develop a strategy and then implement that strategy on more and more tables. You can start with two and move up from their as you get more comfortable.

This is from pokerology regarding stats and variance;

The realities are:
  • Even the top pros only win tournaments less than 1% of the time. For some it was as low as 0.60%. So this means they are winning only 1 out of every 100 times. Of course variance doesn’t always come on schedule and they can go 200-300 tournaments without a win.
  • Top pros only final table around 3% of the time. Some are as low as 2%.
  • Top pros are only cashing about 13% of the time. This means they lose money 87% of the time they play! In fact, amateurs cash more often than pros. The difference is that when pros do cash, they cash deep more often.
    pokerology
Thank you for your comprehensive answer. In general, I completely agree, I can only add that the beginner should not do it, you can open a maximum of 2-4 tables. This will be quite enough.

werty328

werty328

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I also can’t understand how people play at many tables, I lose control of the game when I play at many tables