Why do people play a lot of tables at one time

davidjavi31

davidjavi31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the theory that more is better

Honestly, I think that the more tables they play, the better, but it's the opposite, I've been studying poker for a few months and I really feel comfortable in cash with 4 tables, in the end I think that practice is what gives the possibility of playing more tables, that is my humble opinion.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
(a) because playing one table can be very slow and boring, they play multiple tables so there's always some action
(b) because profit per table in poker is quite low, so playing multiple tables is a direct multiplier on our win rate... assuming, of course, that you HAVE a win rate... for losing players (which quite honestly is the majority of poker players), playing more tables only multiplies our LOSS rate, and in fact, it makes it even worse because you are unable to focus on each decision for a sufficient amount of time.

For each of us there will be a balance regarding optimal number of tables. Start with one table for a week or two, if you have more winning sessions than losing sessions, and if you desire more action, then open a second table and play a few more weeks to see if you're still a winning player. Keep adding another table until you begin to feel rushed or begin to notice you're not winning at the same rate. This is my approach, but I'm not really a winning cash game player so I don't play very often and don't play many tables when I do. Mostly I stick to tournaments which satisfies my desire to play poker for hours while costing me very little to do so. I rarely play more than 2 tournaments at a time, that's just my own balance point.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hoping to win a lot of money. Half of them succeed. As for the other half, they go back to playing freerolls.

S

SirChris88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more you play the more one could win.

Use to play 4+ at a time but to be honest, I hadn't the concentration for it:rolleyes:. That and got peeved off in one and it effected how I played in both. Usually only play one at a time now now

N

n9dream

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Man I tried an Experiment tonight and boy was it a failure, I just kept on opening up table after table after table, after table, and I must say that eventually I hit a number of tables which I couldn't fit it all on my screen at 1 time so I then had to force myself to do it and play like that , damn i had hard time keeping track and focuse of what i'm doing
I usually do 3-4 tables. Nothing crazy. I find it keeps me from a) getting bored and playing crappy hands and b) avoiding tilt, if things are going better at another table. Balances things out for me

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes play a single table is a bit boring due to the lack of action. But most of the time, people play multiple tables to try to win more.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Variance is a good reason to play more tables. A deep down turn could be well over 25 tournaments without a cash. If you play just 1 a day or every other day a cash could be over a month from the last one. By multi tabling you can cut the time frame down between cashes. This being said playing more than one table can cost you as well. It your not paying attention you can miss good opportunities to win too.

B

bioman420

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not a fan of playing multi-table, for example 5-7 tables, the maximum number of tables I play is 3, even so I feel that 3 distracts me a lot from the game, even 2 tables can get good attention in two games...

M

marcusvco

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is more profitable to play more tables at once, but you will need experience and be already consistent at the game. So for me is better to start increasing the number of tables slowly.

Pokerguy6666

Pokerguy6666

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1 or 2 tables is boring as hell.

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think multi-table play increases the likelihood of accelerating bankroll growth in the first place. But good attention and the ability to concentrate in this situation is actually very important.
I tried several times, it didn't work for me.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
It is entirely possible for anyone to play multiple tables if they follow the right steps. If you find that you can play two games consecutively and get a decent hourly rate, the next step is definitely three tables. This is where things get a lot more complicated as three games seems like a huge jump out of two. However, there are definitely a lot of people who can play even more tables and don't have a significant slump in the game.

Spannerdeth

Spannerdeth

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a fine line. I'f I need to focus because it's mid-way through a tournament or dabbling in a cash game with a higher stake than normal, then it's just the one table.

I usually do 2 or 3 tables, but I've found that 4 totally overwhelms my decision making process when the action happens at the same time. I play sub-optimally and it shows in my results. I like two tables, three if there's plenty of fishy action.

G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many tables are played by professional players who make money playing poker or aspire to it. It's a matter of habit, if you gradually increase the number of tables at which it is convenient for you to play without losing concentration, then over time you will play 15-16 tables at the same time.

amilcarjt89

amilcarjt89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
be patient

poker as every sport is practiced by the master you have to have patience and evolve step step remembers that I look to crawl then walk followed run. Take your time enjoy the game and in due course you can play at several tables at the same time and you will feel normal concentration is very important in poker.

P

Putohaze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tables

More tables are more likely to win, but I think you lose a lot more game concentration, for example in a FT.

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
When I play many tables it is because I am trying to reduce the variance, but it is also because it is more interesting when you have more hands to see..

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think most people before me already answered your question but yes its mostly 99% cause of money (more hands more chances to win with playable hands) and maybe 1 % cause he is poker addicted and needs constant stress :D

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can only play two tables maximum, more than two tables I can not concentrate and play well.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
for my current level of play 4 tables are enough, maintaining the necessary concentration, when you have a well defined entry range it is easier and automatic to decide what to do with each hand

b0bo

b0bo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a fine line. I'f I need to focus because it's mid-way through a tournament or dabbling in a cash game with a higher stake than normal, then it's just the one table.

I usually do 2 or 3 tables, but I've found that 4 totally overwhelms my decision making process when the action happens at the same time. I play sub-optimally and it shows in my results. I like two tables, three if there's plenty of fishy action.
Exactly how I feel

AzazeL0707

AzazeL0707

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
No good cards have to wait a lot ��

Andrii Lubentsov

Andrii Lubentsov

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I like to play not more than 3 tables.7 was maximum .But it was hard for me.