Why do people play a lot of tables at one time

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mainly play 4 tables of cash zoom, but you have to come to this gradually if you have always played 1-2 tables, then it will be difficult to switch right away, and you have to proceed from your own concentration and well-being during the session, after all, poker grind is quite tiring

U

UzDarkHero

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man I tried an Experiment tonight and boy was it a failure, I just kept on opening up table after table after table, after table, and I must say that eventually I hit a number of tables which I couldn't fit it all on my screen at 1 time so I then had to force myself to do it and play like that , damn i had hard time keeping track and focuse of what i'm doing

Some years ago I also played multi tables at the same time, the reason was just saving time and get a chance to earn more money. It worked for me but it was really hard and stressful work. Now I’m playing just for fun and to get the maximum pleasure from the process, thus, I’m playing maximum only 2 tables at the same time.

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can not sit still for hours, so I prefer to play quick concetrated sessions

W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Very neat experiment. If a person can handle more tables that's great, but at some point you will lose your edge for sure. The only time I play multiple tables is if there are multiple freerolls on at once, I have played up to 4 at once and that is all I can handle (barely handle), 3 is ok, 2 is fine, actually probably better than one at a time, since I am not OVER thinking my plays with 2 tables on the go, just a little less time to think and more time to play.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good morningIf you are not used to doind it, it is normal it was a failure.Just play the number of tables in which you can play your best .When I started playing poker, one table was fine but after some months I got bored and needed to play more tables.Nowadays I use a laptop for my poker sessions and I really feel comfortable when playing 4 tables at a time.Sometimes up to 5 tables is fine.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Grinding.

To accumulate lot of volume. Volume probably mitigates the effect of variance.

Liedust

Liedust

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I personally not like multitables.....2 at the time sometimes....

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have seen screens of players multi-tabling 10+ games. I always wondered how they are able to track all 10 games in time to bet, raise or fold. My pc doesn't have the processing power and I'd need to buy another big monitor. Is there software they use to manage that many games?

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is considered alot ??? So around 11am on Saturdays and Sundays I have 2 tournaments start then another up to 6 freerolls around 1130 12 and 1pm so I can have 8 games going at once. It's alot to me that's too many but the rolls I don't care. I can not play in 8 mtts tho. I think people want to try make a deep run in something so they play alot and great players will play because the more tournaments the more cashes

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Practice and a big monitor helps. Also a HUD would help a lot since you won't be watching your opponents moves all the time.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man I tried an Experiment tonight and boy was it a failure, I just kept on opening up table after table after table, after table, and I must say that eventually I hit a number of tables which I couldn't fit it all on my screen at 1 time so I then had to force myself to do it and play like that , damn i had hard time keeping track and focuse of what i'm doing

Mostly because they are disillusioned to believing that this is the ideal strategy, and they lock themselves into a "grind" mindset. ;)

I am an outlier who insists on having FUN and only playing 1 - 2 tables at a time (sometimes I will get 3 or 4 max going, but I late reg MTTs so I won't have 4 going for very long!) :)

T

TotalMindegy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

depends on what you play, what level, why you play.

personally, sng multi-tabling most of the times, not worthy in any other way at micro, low limits, especially if you want to get back something from leaderboard races, rakebacks...

8-12 tables fit perfectly on 1 screen, easy to handle. never had the equipments - one day i will - but the regulars use 2-4 screens, monitors and play 20-30+ in the same time. similar like cg...

better $/hour rate... if you play for fun, it is not a good option, but even playing tourneys, 1-2 tables are really boring, put on tilt faster than playing 6-8+ tourneys in the same time...

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I thing SNG players plays a ridiculous amount of tables but they don't have hard decisions , I mean it's a push-fold game after the very first levels.

MTT players tops something like 8-10 tables?! I mean you can follow action with 8 tables if you have some experience with that. Some other MTT players start with many tournaments and after a while they continue with they deep runs- day savers. :)

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I suspect it is to reduce variance, this will probably be for players that will be trying to make a living from the game. For others, it will probably be for boredom.

Me personally, I will play 4 max. It is all I can handle, I need to be able to see all tables on my screen. I might have a few tourneys, a cash game a s&g all at the same time. The reason for me, will be boredom.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I think that many tables are played at the same time because you have to wait for each hand. In my case i play several tables at the same time because the tournaments are at the same time:D

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
to increase volume, but I advise you to increase it little by little and always play an amount that makes you comfortable!

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The reasons are different. Someone plays well and tries to increase their winnings in this way, while someone lacks adrenaline from one table.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thing is to play as many tables as you can keep your A game or close

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its all about the 💰 really, the same reason we go to work. I can play 3 or 4 but I seldom do, I can't even fathom 10 or 15 games at a time but there are people who do it easily, at that point yr just playing not really reading the table to much probably. Good luck and remember to have fun.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two tables at a time are enough for me in order to be able to see and follow what is going on at all tables. I have tried 3 and 4 tables before and I find it hard to play to my optimum ability doing this.

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
why wouldn´t people play a lot tables at the same time?
the more the better.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me the bigger question is why would you only want to play one table?

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Time is really important for professional poker players(and/or more 'serious' recreational players) and that's why playing multiple tables at the same time helps putting more volume and be time efficient too... Also, IMO it's really important to know your limits and play the right number of tables that don't affect your poker game in any way so you can make the best decisions possible(or at least to not make big mistakes)...

GLGL all at the tables $$$

Like2Play2

Like2Play2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If the blinds change every 10 minutes, I find myself getting bored at one table.
So playing 2 tables makes it easier to get some action.
This is at tournament poker Micro.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hi , thanks for your post .
This is a process that has to be slow and progressive, you have to open 1, 2 tables then try 3 if you feel uncomfortable train more with two.
One of the reasons why more experienced players play several tables at the same time is to compensate for the effects of "variance" (these are periods when you will lose by bad luck, when most of the time you would win in that situation. Situations like this can be felt in the short term but in the long term you will really win in these situations, so increasing the game volume (number of tables) you shorten the variance.
Another reason is that many don't have enough time to play due to work and other commitments, so they make the most of their free time. Good luck at the tables!