What kind of time does it take to become a professional Online card player

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Howdy, Poker Pals :O) I have been playing Poker(Texas Hold'em) for a good bit of my life. About a year ago I decided to try my luck at On line poker and make a career out of it. I have always been pretty decent at poker, which is why I decided on this Cowboy road to on line poker. Now this year I have invested about 1500 hundred with nothing to show for :O/ As of 2 months ago I stopped putting my money on and started to play freerolls. So that I can learn more to play a little better. Of course the wife thinks I wasted time and money which is very true. In the past I have gotten very frustrated and annoyed with the game thinking that there are bots and that the game was rigged. Where I even played with my money uncaringly and stupidly. Which led no where :O) But since I have learned a lot more and been doing better, where I even got my account from freerolls up to about 60 bucks. Playing poker on line really takes hours at times and days out of the week. I really think I can do this with a little more knowledge and time. Now do I give it up or does Playing on line professionally take more time then I have put in. And how long should I give it before throwing those Cowboy boots in? :O)

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It takes years of study and 100s of thousands of hands. In tournaments you need to learn the endgame first, how to play short stacks.

riverokker

riverokker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont throw your cowboy boots in. Nobody likes a quitter. You will be fine. Just play micro stakes until you're comfortable and build that bankroll before you try playing with the big boys. Good Luck At The Tables.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Do NOT try to be a professional online poker player in 2019 (or later).

If you use online play to train for live play it is OK as long as you don't lose money.

But the time to have on poker online as a job is over unless you live in a third world country where the dollar still is a valuable currency and can buy a lot when it comes to living expenses.

The bots, AI, solvers, charts, teams are real and are only going to get worse.

Do you see much traffic on games over 100NL today?