what hand did i have?

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing a NLHE spin and go today and on the first hand i was in the small blind and the button folded i called and the big blind checked. i had a very poor hand and i almost folded preflop but the cards were suited. The turn and the river were both deuces and i thought that was cool since i had a deuce in my hand--however neither the turn deuce or the river deuce helped my hand improve..in fact my hand would have actually been very very slightly better if i would have got any card other than a deuce on the turn or river. I won the hand at showdown -my opponent turned over AQ. I didnt flop a str8 nor did i flop a flush nor did i flop a full house-. What hand did i have at showdown?

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am very lost...i know this is a riddle of sorts but its hard to put your hand on any 2x combination because you said neither the turn or river deuce improved your hand - and i would consider making trips on the river a nice improvement over a high card or bottom pair...the only thing i can think of is AA (1+1 = 2) but you said your starting hand was terrible and you almost folded but your hand was suited so...anyhow taking some stabs here;

23 - 25 - 27 or 29?

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah it was 2-5----but what was the flop?

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very very interesting post! I really like this style/format. I think I might post more things like this. The puzzle aspect is really interesting. Personally I think you flopped quads with something like J2s or K2s. Then the 2s on the turn and river wouldn't have improved your hand at all, since you still would have only had a 2 kicker like you had on the flop, AND any other card than the 2s would have been better for you because any other card than a 2 would be more likely to hit your opponents range and therefore cause you to get paid off more at showdown.

Am I right?

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh I see you said it was 25 preflop, so then the flop was 555 and the board by the river was 55522. But the rest of my logic holds.

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very very interesting post! I really like this style/format. I think I might post more things like this. The puzzle aspect is really interesting. Personally I think you flopped quads with something like J2s or K2s. Then the 2s on the turn and river wouldn't have improved your hand at all, since you still would have only had a 2 kicker like you had on the flop, AND any other card than the 2s would have been better for you because any other card than a 2 would be more likely to hit your opponents range and therefore cause you to get paid off more at showdown.

Am I right?

Probably except any other card would have helped by giving a better kicker, even though he didn't need it.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes you guys nailed it? I wonder if anyone else has ever had that happen b4..quads and trips in same hand!! The betting sequence was as follows--i made a small bet on flop--i didnt think he would ever fold with 555 flop--he called--on turn when first deuce came i checked because i didnt think he would have a deuce since i had one and i wanted him to think i was weak and make a play for pot but he checked behind. When the river deuce came i made a monstrous river bet because there was now a full house and since i didnt raise preflop he wouldnt think i had a pair--he would think that pot would be chopped--he was actually trying to trap me a bit preflop since he had AQ and didnt raise preflop. If he had made standard play preflop and raised I would have folded and this strange hand would not have happened. In retrospect i think he would have called an all in river bet--i probably should have got all his chips-my luck did continue in that spin and go--i busted him next hand when i got pocket nines--and then i kept getting lucky heads up against other guy as well.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theres not a much better feeling than smashing the flop like that.

I love being in the BB and having a SB or BTN limp - then raising it up with 86, 98, T8, etc...then smashing the flop with like 88x or flopping the full house, straight, etc.

Because generally the limpers never expect anything like that to show up. I dont raise to often like that and i definitely dont raise with weak holdings like that too often against solid players in position.
I do however like to punish the sb for completing whenever i have a marginal or stronger hand. :)

Good luck in your future games! This was a neat little puzzle post

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes you guys nailed it? I wonder if anyone else has ever had that happen b4..quads and trips in same hand!! The betting sequence was as follows--i made a small bet on flop--i didnt think he would ever fold with 555 flop--he called--on turn when first deuce came i checked because i didnt think he would have a deuce since i had one and i wanted him to think i was weak and make a play for pot but he checked behind. When the river deuce came i made a monstrous river bet because there was now a full house and since i didnt raise preflop he wouldnt think i had a pair--he would think that pot would be chopped--he was actually trying to trap me a bit preflop since he had AQ and didnt raise preflop. If he had made standard play preflop and raised I would have folded and this strange hand would not have happened. In retrospect i think he would have called an all in river bet--i probably should have got all his chips-my luck did continue in that spin and go--i busted him next hand when i got pocket nines--and then i kept getting lucky heads up against other guy as well.

Cool I'm glad we got it right! I enjoyed this type of post for sure. Give us some more down the road! :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands