What annoys you the most about bad beats?

R

research

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it just losing the hand when ahead?

For me it's the fact that I play psychological poker, I invest money and time in crafting a table presence of a fish who sort of knows what he is doing. I work hard at drawing these people into a trap, so it annoys me when I trap them and they get saved by a miracle... sometimes a fair amount of time and money has gone into that setup and is wasted. Even worse is that THEN these people can see that I'm not a fish but a player and I have little to no chance of trapping them again.

To be clear I don't mind losing if I have misread and they are ahead when I get in the hand, it's the miracle runner runners that do my head in.

So what element annoys you the most?

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing with poor hands will lead to bad beat easily, each time after a bad beat, what annoyed me is the regretting thoughts: "I shouldn't play with bad hand from the beginning, I deserved that bad beat!". :)

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When we outplay someone but still lose due to luck, it's deflating because there's nothing else you could have done, other than fold a big hand, which is bad play.

R

research

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When we outplay someone but still lose due to luck, it's deflating because there's nothing else you could have done, other than fold a big hand, which is bad play.

Yes I agree outplaying, out thinking someone and still losing...burns a hole in your soul!

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes I agree outplaying, out thinking someone and still losing...burns a hole in your soul!

Yup, it's almost like the world ain't fair, just please keep playin, lots of simple folk out there need your monetary support. :)

A

azgeda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely agree with your post. It’s really annoying as it happens really often. I absolutely despise how many times the river saved the villain. What annoys me is that a lot of times the villain wins with absolute junk. No matter how skilled of a player you are, luck is still a massive factor in poker.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's so annoying when the table starts berating the bad player(s) at the table.
Like when I have a really good hand and I lose to some ridiculous suck out or whatever by terrible player. And then all other players at the table starts calling them a donk or a no skill luckbox or stuff like that for beating my hand with a much worse hand.

And I want to be like
  • 'OMG, shut up all of you. You weren't even in the hand, you didn't lose, I did. Stop criticizing the bad player(s) at the table'.
But all I can do is say things like 'nh' and try to take the side of the bad player by adding stuff like
  • 'man, that was a good call on the turn [for 60% of your stack with a non-flush gut shot draw on a monotone flop]. Sometimes you just get a feeling that your card is going to hit. Looks like you had a good read on me.'

R

research

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's so annoying when the table starts berating the bad player(s) at the table.
Like when I have a really good hand and I lose to some ridiculous suck out or whatever by terrible player. And then all other players at the table starts calling them a donk or a no skill luckbox or stuff like that for beating my hand with a much worse hand.

And I want to be like
  • 'OMG, shut up all of you. You weren't even in the hand, you didn't lose, I did. Stop criticizing the bad player(s) at the table'.
But all I can do is say things like 'nh' and try to take the side of the bad player by adding stuff like
  • 'man, that was a good call on the turn [for 60% of your stack with a non-flush gut shot draw on a monotone flop]. Sometimes you just get a feeling that your card is going to hit. Looks like you had a good read on me.'

All credit to you, you are more charitable than myself... I think maybe I should take a card from your book..be more laid back but it's hard when you have invested many minutes and $$ on a table to lay the trap and it springs back on yourself lol

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All credit to you, you are more charitable than myself... I think maybe I should take a card from your book..be more laid back but it's hard when you have invested many minutes and $$ on a table to lay the trap and it springs back on yourself lol
the only reason why i'm so laid back is because i trust the process.

i play mtts so, i know that im going to downswing often. in fact, i'm on a 16 mtt downswing without a significant cash. on top of that, i don't have a lot of time to play and i'm lucky if i can play 1 mtt a day, but i can go days without playing. so, the 16 mtt downswing i'm on could've easily taken me weeks. imagine playing weeks and being on a downswing, getting beat, working your way up and just busting out shy of a deep final table run. even today, in an mtt, i thought it was going to be my game when i got it in for 47 bbs preflop with qq vs aks, a2s, and j7o and to i lost to a2 when it flopped to pair. i could've easily been up 150+ bbs and have a huge chance to make a final table run. instead, i was knocked down to 28 bbs. but, in the end, i'm still positive about the results. i said 'nh' and meant it, and i move on.

and the reason why i am able to do so is because i know what i'm doing works. i'm going to, eventually, play an mtt, make the final table, possibly make top 3, and potentially win it. but even just making a top 3 finish is going to help me profit and it'll make up for the downswing i'm on and then some. that's how i'm make a profit, which is my goal in mtts. my goal isn't to win the most hands or not get bad beats or whatever, it's to profit and, sometimes, i have to lose a lot in order to get there. but, if i'm profiting in the end, am i really losing? if i have to get through, for example, 35 [bad] beats before i finally play an mtt where i win 3 key flips in a row that earns me a top 3 place and a huge profit, then do those 35 beats even matter? no because, again, my goal is to profit.

as far as knowing what i'm doing works, it's all in my stats. my average field mtt field size is 283 players and top 8 players make the final table. that means a break-even player should make a final table 2.8% of the time. i've played ~480 mtts, which means a break-even player is making ~14 final tables. i've made 45 final tables, over 3x as many of a break-even player. if we look at mtt wins, a break-even player has ~2 mtt wins. i have 10 mtt wins, or 5x the expected rate. i'm steadily holding onto a $340-$350 profit, with an average buy-in of $1.12, while waiting for my next big deep run.

now, my sample size is a bit small so i'm sure things will even out a bit as i play more games but it's clear to see that what i'm doing is working. i also didn't post it to brag, but to say that i know what works for me, i've proven it to myself on numerous occasions. so, i can be more laid back because i don't concern myself with things that don't matter to me. i don't mind [bad] beats, i don't care about bad players getting lucky on me and crippling my stack or even knocking me out, or whatever. none of it matters to me because i know i'm going to profit in the long run. it's just a waiting game.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get annoyed about losing, but I dont care, if its due to a bad beat or some other reason like losing "flips" or running into the top of peoples range.

davidkimtai89

davidkimtai89

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad beat is really interesting , but rarely i have royal flush ,

Y

yago541

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way bad players get along, but do what poker has these

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most annoying thing is that bad beat remains in our mind for a while..

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate the bad streaks when it happens right after the other. You just keep losing and losing and it keeps adding up into a huge pain. I start to lose confidence and start to doubt myself if I'm doing everything correctly. I hate that feeling.

M

Meroveus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most annoying thing about bad beats is other people whining about them.[1]

Sure, it happened, post it in a forum, bask in the sympathy for a couple of minutes and move on.

If you think you could have avoided it by folding earlier, but betting different ask for advice.

[1] Of course, if I'm whining, that is entirely a different matter

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I lose with a player who is playing badly, and precisely losing with a better hand, it frustrates me knowing that it is good to have him at the table but not being able to take advantage of that opportunity due to the luck of the game.:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

ProblemPlaya

ProblemPlaya

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The injustice of it. Losing 50 50s over and over. Losing when you’re ahead 75 25 over and over. So then when you get it in as a 35 65 dog and lose you even feel that that is unfair because you are “due”

ProblemPlaya

ProblemPlaya

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any plo cash players here? Usually the worst player at the table will have a huge stack. Do the bad players win? No. Most of the time they lose. But usually the biggest stack at a plo cash game at the micros is a drooler. The winning players , those 5 to 10% among us, are usually up half a buy in to a buy in at the most. The difference being is that these winners do this slow but steady win rate every time they play

O

ozrock

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Losing to players that play like crap with starting hands that are less then optimal, and they win with a hand runner, runner, or on the river. Hands where they have a 4%-10% chance of winning, where in most cases they should have never played the hand to begin with. It is amazing how many times these people win like this. The good news is if they habitually play this way, the more you play them, over time you will beat them more than the times they get lucky and beat you.