Are We Cheating in Online Poker?

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I disagree about the charts because I use floptimal which is a pre flop solver and it's pretty much based from charts.

These solvers are available because charts are hard to find, I have one on my computer sent to me by a friend.

They are very good, but I never look during a hand simply because I don't have time to think because I also stream when playing so no time for everything.

I use them when analysing hand in replayers, then I can see mistakes and try to remember for next time I am in these situations.

For me there is millions of hand combinations, to be honest though Krista as long as you understand the theory behind the sizings and your close to it after you study for a while it's definitely going to improve your game. And continue to use when analysing hands

I mark all key hands in HUD and if I have time I analyse after each tournament. And also I see other players mistakes.

I'm surprised about Doug Polk saying this because he is right into game theory. Do you have a link for the podcast so I can watch ?

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
after you confront them and they just walk away then what call the cops over dog poop
Nah, you don't need cops, just pick up a good handful of turd, and throw it as hard as you can at them, making sure you hit them in the back of the head.

They won't be letting their dog shit near your place anymore. It's fun the whole family can have.

If that is too hard for you to stomach, use the camera on your phone to record the bowel movement of the offending dog along with the owner, and show it to whoever makes those rules up.

:deal:

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn’t take anything Doug Polk says to memory banks... don’t worry what he says or believes, he’s a attention junkie

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn’t take anything Doug Polk says to memory banks... don’t worry what he says or believes, he’s a attention junkie
He knows what he's talking about , he is a very good player

kkuk

kkuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hello.they cheat, of course.they create accounts for friends,for relatives,then the tables are adjusted to the game with two or three accounts.I'm talking about the cache.I think there is less of this in tournaments.

Bennoda

Bennoda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never noticed this and have never used it myself in online tournaments, I think it is quite difficult about offline, I don’t even know, in any case I am extremely negative about it

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's cheating and all these bit of software that tell you how other players play is also cheating. I'm glad it's official.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Big concern would be collusion and bots

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If a player uses tools, to win at my Poker buy-in level, then I think he must be a real sad individual, I would never resort to that kind of practice, because I want to enjoy my poker games, not follow advice from Chart Tables etc.Sure they may give you the probabilities of what should happen, but even the best players make mistakes.
It really does not matter what a Chart Table may tell you, as sometimes "Fish do catch" if they didn't they just wouldn't play, Are they cheating other players or just themselves? because Charts cannot predict the future, I have seen some amazing suck-outs even by professional players, Doyle Brunson's 10/2 is a prime example, Who would think of calling an all-in from a player with 10/2 to win a World Series? Not once but twice.
Poker is a magical game because no one knows for sure what the Flop, Turn and River cards are going to give you, how many times have you pushed all-in with Pocket Rockets, only to be beat by a J/10 or a 7/8 hitting a straight, it happens all the time and That's Poker!

When the fun Stops, STOP!

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find that people that use HuDs are cheating. But that's just my opinion.

Can you explain to me how using a piece of software specifically allowed in a sites TOS is cheating

:deal:

R

recoveryagent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't play poker to learn from charts or books so there's never no worry about cheating here. I am a gambler and don't need a degree from charts and books to play to win. I'd be more concerned about people having friends at the same table colluding together then someone using a chart.

L

lhmove

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well alot of sites ban using charts program and consider that cheating ... but then again they also consider bumhunting cheating, bumhunting is an activity, where experienced players target weak players. The experienced players would sit into a table but not play until a weak player which was targeted joins.

B

Backlash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to an advanced player ,charts are an advantage
to also have a HUD is a massive advantage.

But when you play against me
Charts are a disadvantage for you, my range CAN BE ANYTHING

Hud statistics are also a disadvantage to you,
for I have a very loose gear
a very tight gear
a loose passive
a tight passive
a very aggressive tight gear
and a very aggressive loose gear

The HUD STATS will only give an average of my actions
So playing loose aggro and then switching to a tight aggressive gear
gives the absolute wrong information to be capitalizing on by your opponents.

Sup KristyK!!!

I agree completely. One day I may play tight the next I might open up my game greatly. Chart away is what I say...:)

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Opinion

I fully admit that such a scam is possible, but only at high stakes.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
One thing that must be accepted—online poker is a completely different game than live poker. Live poker requires more skill from the player since you can’t have a robot making your decisions for you and you’re not allowed reference materials at a live poker table. It begs the question, why is live poker so strict in enforcing the player to player their own cards and online poker so lenient and no one cares who or what playing the hand? If recreational online players were aware of what was going on they would likely delete poker clients and never return.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing that must be accepted—online poker is a completely different game than live poker. Live poker requires more skill from the player since you can’t have a robot making your decisions for you and you’re not allowed reference materials at a live poker table. It begs the question, why is live poker so strict in enforcing the player to player their own cards and online poker so lenient and no one cares who or what playing the hand? If recreational online players were aware of what was going on they would likely delete poker clients and never return.

Lol no one thinks live poker is harder or requires more skill that online, in fact it's the opposite. I don't know what robot you think is making decisions for me but you're misinformed on this topic too. poker sites regularly punish people who are cheating and one of the biggest scandals in live poker history ended up with the people cheating having nothing happen to them (Mike Postle)

I think you just prefer live so you would like to say it's harder or takes more skill, meanwhile most online cash players increase their income considerably by playing life.

If you know of someone who is cheating, please report them to the sites security teams, but if you just assume everyone who beats you has a "Robot" playing for them you're only fooling yourself

:joyman:

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't think that you are cheating by using a chart. Like others have said people use HUDs in online poker. If they use them then they would be cheating also. I don't care much for charts or HUDs. I don't use anything online but my notes.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thank you for the post, Krista, and the link to the podcast. I do not think using charts is cheating, but not sure how practical to use while playing. I agree with others who said the charts can be used if you memorize them or refer to them while studying or reviewing hand histories to see how your actual play measured up.

I disagree with what Olivier Busquet when he said that if someone makes notes on hands they've played with individuals is cheating or if someone decided they would raise 9T from the button in an unraised pot...pretty extreme to label either of those situations as "cheating."

Blackchipp

Blackchipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if i talk to much i lost my mental game control, better play without cheating to stay alert to all details and make better strategys. good luck! see you in the tabbles!

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Using charts should be fine but using a real time solver is considered cheating. Tbh I've tried to use charts while I play but I always time bank because I'm not fast enough and that's only playing on a few tables. I try to play as many tables as I can to get more volume in. So for people that play tons of tables it's just not possible. The alternative is to study charts and solvers in your spare time to study.

Which is pretty much what all the pros do.

T

thunder_road

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i use sharkscope while i am playing to see if i am against winning players. Is this cheating

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If someone has a supreme mind are they cheating because they can remember these charts? This is rubbish