Using the TIME or just play fast always?

Using the time or just play fast?

• Play fast brow! slow players are noobs

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Use all time is possible to favored me

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • balanced (explain)

Votes: 20 51.3%

• Total voters
Blackchipp

Blackchipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes is good use the time when the "itm" is comming... hehehe
but everybody hates the slow player who consume all time avaible...
Its only 2 cards brow! pls! hahaha

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think sometimes some people use this time bank just to slowplay the gameplay, they want their opponents to loose their patience. I think it,s not prohibited so they can play as they wish.
Sometimes someone can think on some poker hand and he activate this time bank to have some time.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Somy guy in Kyrgyzstan sittin on 256 kbps internet connection be like
"I pressed call button 5 seconds ago why nothing is happening?!?!?!"
Yeah play fast bro, only if some tough decisions then ok use your time.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to use my time efficiently, just as much as I need to make an informed decision. I do not care about criticism or remarks from my opponents. I believe that I can use my time as I see fit.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to monitor the situation on table always so that when my time comes to play i usually have decided what to do with my hand and do it without further delay. Of course if i need more time to decide i use it but i don't like when players use their time to the end at every hand. This just slows down the whole game especially if several players do it. In some situations when on the bubble it may be beneficial if you are very short stack and just want to make it to the min cash but for the other players on the table it is very annoying.

RickoNNN

RickoNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C that sometimes you can vary between the two options. If you play fast when you have good or bad hands. You can become predictable.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the part of the game, usually I do not use the timebank if I am not distracted (playing 2-6 tables at a time).

But if its near the bubble and I am down to 1 or 2 games i will pop up other tables in that game I am in and if I see someone draining their time bank on every hand. I may follow suit if I am low on chips. But its not a hard and fast rule because I would also like to see as many hands as possible before the blinds go up again when I am short stacked so kind of depends on what else is going on in the particular game. And if others on my table appear to be following suit

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes use the time if I’m short and close to the money. The trick is to do so before you get to the bubble or it’s wasted. Especially in large MTT you need to see how fast players are getting knocked out and time it right. And it depends on where you are in relation to the bb and when they are going up. It’s not just wasting your time bank indiscriminately.

That said, until and after that point, I try to play as fast as possible, especially pre folding so I can see as many hands as possible.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would also advise you to stall for time sometimes.This is one of the varieties to weaken the onslaught of the player so to speak, it is one of the parts of the strategy of the game.Or when you play a lot of tables, then it takes much more time to think in a particular situation.That's the answer.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The faster my opponent plays,the slower i play,,, ;)

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is not a good thing.
Although I have already done it too. In a high-value tournament, I might do it again.
But it is a practice that is not recommended over time. You could say that it is unsportsmanlike.

K

kobra80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't use a time bank. I play fast. I don't think much for a long time

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I voted "balanced" so I must explain :D

Online is typically much faster than live poker - even for decision making; partly because less information is out there online. Yes, online has HUDs but this information can factor into your decision while waiting for action to come around to you. In live poker, physical tells, table talk much more than online, and outside factors all justify taking longer.

Online, I think I decide pretty quickly like most do. However, there are times you might want to utilize more of your time or even dip into the time bank. Obviously tough decisions, but also other scenarios too. For example, if you just suffered a bad beat and are starting to tilt, then it might be a good idea for you to "slow down" and take some deep breaths or something while "using your clock."

There are also timing tells for online and that means there will be some who use timing of actions as a reverse tell. Some tricky players might "think" a while and dip into their time bank to appear weak when they have the nuts. This is something to be aware of, but generally taking longer on your decision means you have a marginal holding. The nut hands usually insta-call or take a little time to try and figure out how to extract the most value possible. However, dipping into the time bank or taking oddly long is usually either a weaker holding they are "talking themselves into" or it is a ploy with the goods :D

For this reasoning, I'll say "balanced" but generally I am fairly quick I think.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes is good use the time when the "itm" is comming... hehehe
but everybody hates the slow player who consume all time avaible...
Its only 2 cards brow! pls! hahaha

Not only is this slowing down near ITM frowned upon, but it might not actually matter much because when ITM approaches, it usually enters "hand for hand play" and this completely negates the effects of slow play since each table only goes one hand at a time.

Slowing down near the money bubble (but before hand for hand play) is outright stated as violating fair play by some sites, but this is tough to argue because it is your clock to utilize and it is difficult to prove that your "slowing down" was deliberately to get into the money bubble. If you just take a few extra seconds to "think" than it is probably impossible to enforce, but if you just let your clock run down as far as it can for each hand you are allowed, then that might be a problem.

The bigger principle to consider though might be how much your "slowing" actually matters. Chances are that being slower for a few hands (even if just before the money bubble) probably won't get you too much further - maybe one spot if you are lucky. More reliable would be taking really long from the beginning of the tournament - that would slow down your table somewhat...however, this really doesn't help you or your table. The better players want more hands in the time frame for more chances to chip up and the worse players want those chances too! It really is to the benefit of the group to play more hands; if you are worried about losing, then just play a nittier strategy where you are tighter preflop. If you are trying to get rid of variance all together, then find another hobby because you can't do this with poker. :D

M

Mahereid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing always fast or always using the full time doesn't give away anything about your strategy because you are doing this in every single hand.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If I have few chips and the bubble is close, I use my time bank to get into ITM !!! In other cases, I need extra time only if I have a difficult choice and I need to think !!! In any case, the player can play as he sees fit (if it is not prohibited by the rules) and I treat this with understanding !!!

reska11

reska11

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes if I'm a short stack and the payout is close I play slower than usual, and with a slower game you can slow down aggressive players a lot. So you should take advantage of that slower game option as well.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends for me, the only moments that I use more time to play are when I am playing multiple tables at the same time or when I'm next to the money and short stacked.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its sounds like, you are talking about the strategy known as "stalling", which is to deliberately slow down action in multitable tournaments, when the bubble or a significant payjump is approaching. For me this is a legitimate part of tournament strategy, and I will sometimes do it, if they situation call for it.

Say for instance that 27 places pay, and I am the 22. largest stack with 30 players left. On another table several short stacks are all trying to fold their way to a min-cash. In that situation why would I want my table to play very fast increasing the risk, that the short stacks get, what they want, and cash at my expense? That would frankly almost be stupid by me.

So in such a situation I will stall pretty relentlessly, and I dont care, if it annoy some action junkie at my table. If the action junkie has a big stack, its to his advantage, that the table play fast, so he can steal even more chips before the bubble. But I am not obliged to play his game or play in the way, he wants.

Do note though that some sites like ACR consider stalling a violation of their TOS, and then you should obviously avoid it. We never want to risk having our accounts banned, so always read and follow the TOS of whatever site, you choose to play on. Also there is no point in ALWAYS stalling near the bubble. If the min-cash is insignificant, and/or I have a healthy stack, then I just play normally, and if I bubble, just sucks to be me :)

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
When I first started playing poker, I always played as fast as I could. Always folded or called very quickly. But then I was told to slow down my game because otherwise I could be read. Now play it alternately fast or slow it depends on how big my stack is and how far away I am from the itm. And yes there are people who always play slowly and I have no problem with that, but as was said before on some poker sites this is not allowed and then you should stick to the rules

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The bigger principle to consider though might be how much your "slowing" actually matters. Chances are that being slower for a few hands (even if just before the money bubble) probably won't get you too much further - maybe one spot if you are lucky.

But the whole point is, that sometimes making a few places further makes a lot of difference to your result, while other times it makes no difference. Lets just take as example one of the tournaments, that ran on 888 Poker yesterday, the 8,8$ "Voyage", which began at 5 pm CET.

This saw 262 unique entries and 83 reentrys for a total price pool of $2.760. 48 players got paid, so making it all the way from 262. place (ignoring the reentrys) to 49. place gave absolutely nothing, even though it took more than 4 hours, since this is a slow tournament. However making it from 49. to 48. place resulted in a price of 19,59$, so it should be kind of obvious, that its not very good to finish in 49. place and also not in the next places like 50., 51., 52. etc.

Actually when it was down to 48 players in this tournament, 940,32$ were already distributed, which is 34% of the price pool. So from that point on players were only competing for the last 66%, which mean, that the value of each chip went down tremendously. It should also be obvious, that if our goal is to win money in tournaments, we absolutely can not afford to not care about getting the largest possible share of 34% of the price pool.

Whats even more interesting is, that the 16. place finisher only got 21,8$, so making it several places further after the bubble meant almost nothing to his result. Only the top 12 finishers got significantly more than their initial min-cash with the winner taking down 559,68$. So it makes a ton of sense to do quite a lot to make it into the money, and only then start to gamble, so you give yourself a chance of winning the big prices like the 559,68$ first price.

More reliable would be taking really long from the beginning of the tournament - that would slow down your table somewhat

That would make no sense, since once again there is no reward for outlasting the majority of the field, unless you make it into the money. To win money in tournaments, you do need to accumulate chips. You just dont need to dust them away taking unnessesary risks, when only a few more players need to bust, before (in my example) 34% of the price pool is already distributed :)