Unfair Boats 👿

T

TheFireWall

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This week I was observing that several Pokersite's platforms sometimes have an exploitable bug. Let me explain, a random hand (3 4 from different decks) vs an even more random hand (3 2 of spades) and in the end we both connect a pair of 3 but we split the pot. To the next hand against the same villain, we also connect even, but he only takes the pot for having a card greater than mine. What is this about? Does the rules vary according to the MTT or is there no clear rule for this bug?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This week I was observing that several Pokersite's platforms sometimes have an exploitable bug. Let me explain, a random hand (3 4 from different decks) vs an even more random hand (3 2 of spades) and in the end we both connect a pair of 3 but we split the pot. To the next hand against the same villain, we also connect even, but he only takes the pot for having a card greater than mine. What is this about? Does the rules vary according to the MTT or is there no clear rule for this bug?
a hand history would be better.

however, since you both had low kickers (34) and (32), even with a paired 3 for both of you, if the board runs out high cards (37jka), then you split the pot.

in the 2nd hand, if your opponent has a better kicker, then they take the pot. lets say you have (46) vs (410) and the board is (34k59), then you would have (4469k) vs (44910k), giving your opponent the better 5 card hand.

nothing afair about that.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not a bug. It's poker....

A poker hand ALWAYS consists of 5 cards !!!
You don't have " a pair of 3s"... You have a pair of 3s and 3 other cards.
If your opponent has a pair of 3s but his other 3 cards include one that is higher than your cards he wins. His 5 card hand is better than yours...

With cards like 34 or 24 you often split the pot because you both hit a pair of 4s and can use 3 additional cards from the board that are higher than 3 or 2. Since you can both use the community cards you end up having exactly the same 5 cards and split the pot.

That's why you will want 2 high cards, so that in case you make the same pair as your opponent you will still win because you have the higher "kicker" card.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its basically because, in NLH a player can use either his own 2 cards or the 5 community cards to make the best hand, and he always has to use exactly 5. So sometimes only one of your cards play and in more rare cases even none of your cards, which is called playing the board. Having cards not playing is sometimes called a counterfeit. Learning to reads boards and understand, when cards play, and when a hand is counterfeited or just not as great, as it might seem, is one of the first skills, a NLH player has to require. Here are some examples to get you started:

QQ995 - 88 is counterfeited and loses to T2 or better
A32JJ - 32 is counterfeited and loses to 44 or better
AT9T8 - A9 is counterfeited and loses to AJ or better
KQ922 - Q9 loses to K3 or better, and KQ loses to AA
5QQQ3 - 55 is counterfeited and loses to 66 or better
TQQQQ - T9 is counterfeited and loses to J2 or better
JT987 - JJ is playing the board and can only win by bluffing