Trash Talking online

James_Harrison

James_Harrison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to do this, i dont remember doing this in years, though.

pokerstars chat moderators used to come trash talk me at the table all the time, they liked me so much that i got a perma ban. Now they are confused as to why i was even banned in the first place, calling me a sports betting addict who self excluded himself from PokerStars (nope, you guessed it. Ive never bet on sports unless it was a free bet).

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Trash talkers are easy to beat.

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yesterday this happened, a player completely prejudiced towards my country, I thought to answer but saw that it was starting to disturb me so decided to block. It was certainly the best decision.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why do people feel the need to be mean online saying things they should never think much less type or say. It isn't just to me I have seen people gang up on a player due to something that was not a big issue. but anyways I try to ignore it but sometimes when it is off the table and in a chat room I take a little more offense because I am under the belief we are all here to be friendly and chat and possibly learn something or teach someone something. But nope even here there as to be a AH.. I hope to meet more nice professional level people. Good luck out there The_Bandit

Their motivation is sometimes cultural.

In some cultures it is absolutely essential that you let your opponent know exactly what you think of them. These are cultures that don't keep their emotions bottled-up.

In Western cultures this may be considered excessive and even un-necessary because Western culture is full of workers that need to "get along" because of their close proximity in their cubicles at their respective workplaces.

Also, I agree with all the posters....I was just trying to add another dimension to the conversation.

Good luck !

Cerealez

Cerealez

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Their motivation is sometimes cultural.

In some cultures it is absolutely essential that you let your opponent know exactly what you think of them. These are cultures that don't keep their emotions bottled-up.

In Western cultures this may be considered excessive and even un-necessary because Western culture is full of workers that need to "get along" because of their close proximity in their cubicles at their respective workplaces.

Also, I agree with all the posters....I was just trying to add another dimension to the conversation.

Good luck !

I think the most important factor is that they can be anonimous online. Ppl who want to annoy the rest use the chat like twitter, insulting and more rarely discriminating. Luckily i don t care about them and don t reply.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I see very little in the chat these days. Players that want to start berating other players normally get muted pretty quickly.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that those who have time to chat to write nasty things are just stupid fish instead of concentrating on the game and opponents
forgive them and punish your best game

RickoNNN

RickoNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcone to the jungle of internet hahah

C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a low stakes NLH game the other day a sharp reg in SB called my pre-flop QQ pot raise then made a 3x reraise to my 1/2 pot post flop bet which I called. Board was pretty dry but had suited connectors. On the turn he came out with about a 1/3 pot sized bet. Maybe I should've bet but I folded. He called me a "Fish". I was kind of stunned and I've been avoiding him but maybe I should just shut down his chat. How would you deal with this situation and how would you have played this hand?

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mute the idiots and talk shit. They can still see your chats. I think

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the most important factor is that they can be anonimous online. Ppl who want to annoy the rest use the chat like twitter, insulting and more rarely discriminating. Luckily i don t care about them and don t reply.

I agree completely with your assessment.

This is a proven concept in Psychology that when one is not looking at someone then they type things that they would not otherwise.

Good luck !

riverokker

riverokker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a Strategy. Not a very good one. But still a strategy. Everyone needs to look for that edge. If mind games are there strategies or trying to make your opponents mad. It might work. Good thing about online poker is you can turn chat off

stevecambog

stevecambog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its very coomon when they lose they start to put they angry in another players

W

wpilson70

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to the internet

Pretty much spot on
I’ve suggested many times how I believe this place is a freeroll forum. How the simplest issues cause the most grief.

A simple solution to trash talking. Shut off the chat. Lol at the fellow who lol’d that suggestion off. “Stay in your protective bubble” as if a guy spewing trash talk gives away any legit info on your 50 cent SNG or 2 dollar cash buy in.

A good example of what I mean. People ignore my posts here regularly. I get replies on occasion, but usually four or five days after I post.

People have figured out how to ignore, or not reply to what I say. But no one can clue on to the simplest way to reduce trash. Shut off the chat.

See a ton of funny, but weak attempts to mock those who trash. Obv those players consider themselves smarter than the trash talkers but obv not smart enough to turn off the chat?

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It use to bother me when I was younger but now when someone starts talking trash I find it quite amusing. Trash talkers tend to struggle with their emotions and they tilt very easily. Also they are usually young and new to poker. When you have played poker for as many years as I have and as many hands as I have there's no need to ever talk trash or get mad at anything that ever happens at the table. I've already seen everything. I've already felt all those negative emotions. Now it's just poker. No trash talk. No tilt. Just poker.

N

NUTZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
couldnt agree more. I cant stand it.
if someone starts talking sht, i go off NON STOP on them.
i have yet to talk sht on someone for losing a hand.
its beyond me tht these idiots think they are the only person in history to lose a hand with ACES etc etc.
LIKE NO ELSE HAS GONE THROUGH thee exact same sit.

H

Heresthecooler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just ego and arrogance. After a player has been waiting hours for "the hand," I think it's just a common character to address it. A lot of emotion goes into playing, so a lot of emotion goes into trash talking. Look at Stu Ungar. He wouldn't talk much playing, but would be the first to admit nobody in the world could beat him. The level of trash talking really just comes down to how badly you dislike the opponent.

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are getting tilted by trash talkers-turn chat off. And if not leave it on and gain some extra information. In the end its only words and whatever they write should not bother u too much.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well there is no more chat on ACR so that's the end of that. Miss it sometimes though.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Don't like it use mute.
Quite often a raver is tilted and it is easier to get their money/chips.