is there a way to trick a poker bot?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless its based on the latest generation AI software, which is able to adjust to opponents, then the answer is yes. The bot will be programmed to take certain actions in certain situations, and unless its programmed to be perfectly balanced, you can find the areas, where its unbalanced, and relentlessly exploit it.

If for instance it fold to much to check-raises, you can just check-raise away, and unlike a human opponent it will never pick up on it and adjust. It will just continue to fold, even when you have been check-raising in 8 of the last 10 opportunities.

I used to play quite a bit against bots on Zynga play money tables several years ago, and these bots were easily exploitable. I do fear however, that programmers have become better, and of course there is also more incentive to make a very good bot in real money games. So if I thought, a particular opponent was a bot, I would probably mostly be looking to avoid.

12345djon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bot can be identified with a delay of 6 seconds to make a decision in each distribution of cards, and if you are sure that it is a bot, then I think it is not difficult to deceive.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've actually done quite a bit of thinking about this but be weary I have literally NO understanding of computer programming.

I think in the end the computer or bot will only ever be as good as the person who programmed it. I've read a little about when Doug Polk and his friends played against a bot in a "Brains versus AI Challenge" and all of Doug's friends got smoked before Doug managed to turn a profit for "Brains" and won the challenge.

My question is, AI beat 3 or 4 other players before losing to one of the best heads up players in the world. so my question is, was the programmer maybe better at poker then the other players on the Brains team and then Doug was better which is why he did so well against the AI.

I think theoretically if a bot was programmed perfectly, perhaps it would be unbeatable, but given how it's humans programming it I would imagine a bot can only be as good as the player programming it understands poker and programming.

The best way I can figure to trick the bots, be better than them :)

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is where comes exploitative strategy/playing, there isnt 100% GTO strategy figured out yet so you can beat it.

D

Dlbcanuck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first thing is the ability to spot a bot. The six delay is interesting. Is that accurate? What level of games do people spot the bots operating on in cash games? What websites?

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think yes. But you have to play bunch of hands in order to figure out his algorhytm. After that i think you can exploit them

Bidolaha

Bidolaha

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In any case, the bot can be fooled, they have their own limitations, that is, they basically just copy the visions of the players thereby learning and learning but to a certain level.

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have their HUD stats it would help determine a strategy to exploit them.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The bot can be identified with a delay of 6 seconds to make a decision in each distribution of cards, and if you are sure that it is a bot, then I think it is not difficult to deceive.

How do you know this information? (re: 6 seconds)

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea. A bot will delay 6 seconds? Where did you hear this?

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No! It's called a dynamic flop!

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've actually done quite a bit of thinking about this but be weary I have literally NO understanding of computer programming.

I think in the end the computer or bot will only ever be as good as the person who programmed it. I've read a little about when Doug Polk and his friends played against a bot in a "Brains versus AI Challenge" and all of Doug's friends got smoked before Doug managed to turn a profit for "Brains" and won the challenge.

My question is, AI beat 3 or 4 other players before losing to one of the best heads up players in the world. so my question is, was the programmer maybe better at poker then the other players on the Brains team and then Doug was better which is why he did so well against the AI.

I think theoretically if a bot was programmed perfectly, perhaps it would be unbeatable, but given how it's humans programming it I would imagine a bot can only be as good as the player programming it understands poker and programming.

The best way I can figure to trick the bots, be better than them :)

I think you're wrong about AI. AI learns and learns by playing fair what cards come in such he plays, and Pokerbot cheating. There's a difference between an AI and a Pokerbot.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As long as you dont have the source code you will need to beat them
in the same way you beat any other opponent. Watch his game and
discover exploitable patterns...
Maybe they are even easier to beat, because you might be able to scare
them out of hands by making bets that destroy their pot odds. I would
guess that bots will pay a lot more attention to the actual odds than the
average micro stakes player :)

A

akufto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is purely my opinion, if there is a poker bot and it is a bot from this poker room, then what cards would you not be handed out, this bot will still win you with any trifle on hand, so play and pray luck that this bot does not get with you at the table

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
look at chess,
-long ago any good player could beat the computer
-nowadays....I'm not too sure the human is still winning

with poker bots it's similar:
asuming the bots getting better, it's becoming more and more difficult for a human to:
1) identify the bot
2) beat the bot
make sure not to go to showdown too often, as the bot will learn fast...

shane4050

shane4050

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i second to avoid going to showdown as often as possible if you suspect a bot as it will learn your game but as long as you switch it up you should always come ahead with a bot at the table. ie predictable play etc

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Random splash pots throw a wrench into the bots. A player would have to defy logic to trick a bot.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Yeah Kraemer, what you said makes sense. Against a bot or a human opponent, it is true that you need to watch their play and act accordingly. The problem with a bot though is that by the time you discover the patterns, you could've spent a lot of money. So unless you have tons of it, you might not have the opportunity to exploit those patterns...

djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it would depend how often the programer reviews the bot's hands and adjust its balance

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In Zoom I often see player doing mini-raises, no matter the cards. Always think these must be bots. Maybe bots in testing-mode.

DizzyDeb717

DizzyDeb717

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have a question here, since some of you seem to know about this bot stuff. Will the bots always be completely silent? Someone told me random "hi" or "nh" could still be a bot..