Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When playing online, I find myself talking to the computer monitor a lot. Usually it's expressing my frustrations by saying things about people that I would never dream of saying in a live game. Sometimes I'll say things like "Go ahead and call. You know you want to" or something like that (also probably wouldn't say in a live game, but for other reasons). Do you think this sort of talk is likely to affect my play/performance? Do you pay attention to how you talk to the monitor?

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Nope...wakes the kids up sometimes though.

I'm close to logging off by that point anyway. A broken man, in total meltdown because some donk called a 50BB turn shove.... his thinking? his 6-4 might be good, there is still a card to come... and he prays it might give him the low heart flush. ...and it does !

....children soon drop back off to sleep.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I certainly talk a lot, especially when I miss important plays. so when I play I stay in the office so the kids can't hear. inappropriate words.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The one problem you can possibly have is if you have conditioned yourself to saying things, and then inadvertently saying them in the live game.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I sometimes do this too
I wonder if I should practice a poker face and not saying anything for when I start playing live!

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When playing online, I find myself talking to the computer monitor a lot. Usually it's expressing my frustrations by saying things about people that I would never dream of saying in a live game. Sometimes I'll say things like "Go ahead and call. You know you want to" or something like that (also probably wouldn't say in a live game, but for other reasons). Do you think this sort of talk is likely to affect my play/performance? Do you pay attention to how you talk to the monitor?
That's called, lack of medicine.:ROFLMAO:

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's just like when you're at a sporting event VS when you're watching it on TV.

Of course there's those that act like some of us watching on TV while at the event. I wonder what watching a game with them on TV would look like.

I can't imagine Hellmuth playing online. :eek:

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I don't talk at all. I just focus on my game. The moment I open my mouth I lose focus and all my chips go out the window.

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I mostly worry that repeatedly saying things like "F*&%ing donkey!" when I get sucked out on is more likely to get me tilted (reinforcing an entitlement feeling). I feel like I'd be in a better place psychologically if I could change all of those " F*&%ing donkey!"s to "Excellent, keep playing that way and I'll get all your money!"

That make sense?

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The one problem you can possibly have is if you have conditioned yourself to saying things, and then inadvertently saying them in the live game.
That certainly is a consideration. 😮

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I'm not talking to the monitor. I usually play silently. Sometimes I can scold my opponent a little as he deserves it, but only in my mind :)

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it’s pretty fine to talk/think to yourself about the problems/calculus of a hand!
What I do not think it’s fine is to be table talking, i.e. use the chat of the poker room to talk to your opponents.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Vibrate in a good move, yes, but talking to the monitor or cell phone, no

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think these are comments directed at other players. Yes, I noticed such actions behind me. Sometimes you just need to talk it out, especially when the game was bad.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I try not to talk when playing otherwise the cat thinks I'm talking to him and comes and sits on the laptop!

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You show your emotions and talk at the monitor and only because no one sees you. This is the key factor. Whether it helps or not, you will feel for yourself. I rarely do such things.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I'll say things like "Go ahead and call. You know you want to" or something like that (also probably wouldn't say in a live game, but for other reasons). Do you think this sort of talk is likely to affect my play/performance?
I think, its a sign of tilt, so if you find yourself doing this a lot, its probably better to end the session and not log back on to any poker site, before you have calmed yourself down.