Starting hand

amxvulcan

amxvulcan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is a better starting hand , A 8 suited or a pair of 77??

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It will depend on the situation, but generally I'd rather have 77. With 77 you have paid at worst and can hit a set. With A8 if you get an 8 on the board well that's not really much better than the pair of 7s. So to be materially better than the 77 you need a A or flush on the board, which you're not going to get the majority of the time

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Both hand and not the best one for starting, I would choose A8 since A plays in many cases (the kicker may be weak, but there is a chance for a flush) and pair 7 only if there are no other high cards starting from 8, since it is not always possible to collect three 7

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips

77s have slightly better equity preflop vs A8s(around 54% to 46%) but it depends a lot on what games you play, the position and the number of blinds you have(so many times it's better to have an A blocker than a small pair...).

GLGL all at the tables!

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on your position, chip stack and amount of action in front of you.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would rather hold the 77, especially with a nice stack and position. A8 can be scared off top pair because of its bad kicker. Even when it catches a flush, getting money in the pot can be difficult.

When the third seven flops, it is more hidden than three to a flush.

77 is better percentage wise pre flop, and plays better post flop.

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Em statistically both hands have around 50:50 chances. I will choose the pair of sevens, because is winning before the flop and it is not necessary to catch something and to win the hand after that, while with A8 suited you will need something.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank U 4 Posting

What matters is how good you are at playing post flop and how do your Villains play post flop.

If you are weak post flop A8s is the better hand to have as you are going to know when you make the nuts with it more often than with 77.

If you make a set with 77 on a K72 board after calling a raise preflop you do not know you have the nuts KK is possible if the turn brings A Q J again you do not know you have the nuts- same on river.

Many Villains know not to stack off with only a pair when someone is not aggressive preflop but turns aggressive post flop for fear of a set.

However many V have trouble getting away from flushes and will stack off.

Hope this helps
:)

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
77 is slightly better hand statistically, and its easier to fold if the board goes wet. If u flop an A with A8 hand, many times u will pay to better A...

A

ataraxyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can find the odds of pocket cards on the internet easily. In my research in under 5 players table, 77 is tied or better than A8. But in over 5 players table A8 is better. But as you know the odds are not everything. You should consider your position and styles of opponents. And the odds is usually for the case you get river card. So if you just limped in or you're in other vary situations, you need to take different strategy by the atmosphere around you.

Kenad_MNE

Kenad_MNE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
77 , A 8 can usually get you in trouble if someone has a higher ace

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A 8 SS... But it isnt a hand to bet all in or raise too much teh bet

Raphael Zabel

Raphael Zabel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer 77 but both are average hands that need to improve to win a big pot.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Incorrect question. Without considering your position at the table, stack depth, tournament stage and many nuances, it is very difficult to make the right decision. For example, in early position, both hands are bad, and in late position against one opponent, both hands are great for all-in. Although in this case it is necessary to take into account the ratio of the stacks, as well as the individual characteristics of the villain's game.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both hand and not the best one for starting, I would choose A8 since A plays in many cases (the kicker may be weak, but there is a chance for a flush) and pair 7 only if there are no other high cards starting from 8, since it is not always possible to collect three 7

Unfortunately I have to disappoint you. The odss calculator gives 53.4% versus 46.3% in favor of 77. You should pay more attention to the mathematics of poker. Good luck:deal:

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
all depends on situation and your position but a pair is a sure thing

S

Slaaptnooit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe 77 is beter but you need to hit a third card wifh 7 other the changes are big you lose that hand. My favority hand is k 6 shuted.My lucky numbers. The best is AA in your hand evry round

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I would not start with either unless I am the button or cutoff.

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Equilab says:

Equity Win Tie
MP2 46.28% 46.08% 0.20% { A8s }
MP3 53.72% 53.52% 0.20% { 7h7c }
The pocket sevens is a significantly better hand. The problems with (A8-s) are that a pair of aces will have a weak kicker. If an eight comes, even if it's a top pair, that puts straight draws on board, and that eight isn't likely to stay a top pair for very long. Flopping a flush draw will give you the nut flush draw, but it's not guaranteed to get there. Sevens also have problems: there is little room for improvement, a pair of sevens is unlikely to be an overpair, and it doesn't really block anything.

An (A8-s) blocks value hands like (AA) and AT+, so that opens up the possibility for running bluffs when it is less likely for your opponent to hold one of the above value hands. You would still like to see everyone fold when you open with either hand.

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on your position, how much action you see preflop, and how well the cards drop.

T

tommyboobaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All depends on the game situation. A8 easily can be outkicked. 77 just waiting for a 7 on the flop. If not very easy to fold.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally...

the answer is going all in pre short stacked id like the ace 8 suited but if i was 30+ big blinds and had to call a short stack i would like the 7's. But i think all around 7's is the stronger starting hand and ace 8 suited is more of a looser hand in my opinion for starting.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Nice question. I think it depends on your stack size, position, trny or ring-game, and how many other players get involved. Two overs can really dominate a small pair on the flop since there are more cards in the deck that can beat 7's. Plus an A8std has more outs than 7's. If I'm short-stacked I'd shove w/7's but just raise w/A8std; just the opposite if I'm 30+ BB's.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands