Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello again everyone!

Well now...I just suffered a bad beat. Keep in mind, as I describe this hand, I had him beat (on the turn) until the river. The bad beat didn't bother me really, but the actions the villain took during the hand did. And, it wasn't the first time I saw him do this.

Playing micro stakes, I'm on the cutoff with KQ unsuited and it was folded to me. I raise 3x the BB and the BB makes the call. Heads up sees us 3cKdAd. Villain goes into the tank, even uses his time bank. He's first to act, remember. He checks, and I bet about 2/3 the pot as a c-bet (I have position, I have something, and I was the pre-flop aggressor). Again, he goes into the tank, even using his time bank. Then, calls.

The turn comes the Qs. Great card for me....decent two-pair and I really don't have a reason to think villain is playing trips. Checks to me, I bet 2/3 the pot again. Villain....yep, you guessed it, tanks, even using his time bank. Then, calls.

Final card is the 3d. I'm a bit worried about a flush, but not too much. Villain checks to me, I bet small this time, about 1/4 of the pot. Villain tanks....time bank yet again. Then, calls.

He turns over Ac6c, winning with two pair, aces and 3's.

This just sucks for me, but my god...why on earth are you using your time bank on every...single...decision? Was he trying to piss me off? Maybe...

And before you ask, no...it wasn't a bad connection and he wasn't on another table. At Bovada, you must actively click your time bank in order to use it.

Ugh.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is not a slowroll. A slowroll is, when your opponent has done his last action in the hand, and then you take a long time to either call or show your cards (in live poker) to make him think, he is in good shape, but in fact you have the nuts.

As for why he tanked, its hard to say, but this was a somewhat tricky situation for him, so maybe he was just considering his options, including to donk lead the flop. Or maybe he was busy with other tables. Even if the time bank must be activated manually, it takes less effort to do that than to figure out, how you want to play a marginal hand like top pair meh kicker.

Regarding your own actions, I think, you overplayed the hand. On the flop either check back or bet pretty small to get called by worse with the intention to check back most turns. On the turn you improved, so now a healthy bet is fine.

On the river check back. Whenever we are considering a river bet, we should always ask, if we can get better hands to fold or worse hands to call, and in this spot the answer is probably no to both of that. He is never folding an A, when you bet this small, and your hand is also to strong to turn into a bluff. On the other side he is probably not calling often enough with worse to compensate for the times, he have you beat. It was a really bad river card, not so much because 3X got there, but because AX got there, and after calling two big bets AX was a big part of his range.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know it isn't a slow roll in the traditional sense...maybe I should have used something different.

However, I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I agree with the way I played the hand based on what I knew about the villain in the moment. My c-bet was justified in my opinion. He just called, and I improved. When that happened, I was sure (again, vs. this opponent and what I knew about him/her), that I was winning.

Villain caught a lucky river card, so I will agree with you there. Maybe I should have checked the river instead of betting for the exact reasons you described. I could have saved myself some bets. But up until that point, I really feel I played the hand okay.

Thank you very much for your input!

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call flop turn and check river it can be A or fl, bet on river was not too bad but need to 0.5 or 2/3 to beat A(not on micros). I'd fold A6 to bet on river you can easily have AQ AK or KK and bet like this.
On micros you need to understand that too little people fold A(

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lots of people muti-task while playing poker,,,as well as playing lots of tables. it happens,,,

RimworldDoctor

RimworldDoctor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of people muti-task while playing poker,,,as well as playing lots of tables. it happens,,,

Yes, I try not to get mad when people are using their time bank because I know a lot of people multi-table tournaments.

However, a pet peeve of mine is when you're getting close to the bubble and people start emptying their timebanks early. It feels so scummy and I wish there was a better way to do it. I think GG Poker does blind increases by # of hands when it gets close, but ACR doesn't do hand-for-hand play unless you're directly on the bubble. :rolleyes:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
However, a pet peeve of mine is when you're getting close to the bubble and people start emptying their timebanks early. It feels so scummy and I wish there was a better way to do it. I think GG Poker does blind increases by # of hands when it gets close, but ACR doesn't do hand-for-hand play unless you're directly on the bubble. :rolleyes:

The only things, poker sites can reasonably do about stalling, is to either introduce hand-for-hand play earlier or to reduce the time allowance preflop. But its a balance, because hand-for-hand is also slowing the game down, and most players including myself kind of hate it. And if they give to little time to act preflop, then some players might feel, they are getting rushed to much. At the end of the day poker sites need to strike a balance to keep as many players as possible happy :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Regarding your own actions, I think, you overplayed the hand. On the flop either check back or bet pretty small to get called by worse with the intention to check back most turns. .

Why do we want OP to get better? (or why do we want to let them know they could've played the hand 'better'?). They weren't actually asking for this info.
And I 10000% agree with your assessment but I'm just curious as to the 'why'? (I know I have done similar and began to ask myself 'Why?')

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Not a Slowroll.

Pretty sure other player is allowed to take as much time as the site allows them to take.
DON'T LET IT BOTHER YOU. (< this is key imo). fwiw, there's all sorts of crap on the tables :(

Not sure about villain initally taking so long to act but on that river....
there's a very good chance the A3 is not good here based on how you've played the hand.
For villain to make the call on the river (even though it's such a small bet.... < but also could be perceived as a strong hand desperately wanting to get 'some' value vs. no value at all).... he'd actually need to assume you've been over-playing your hand because what hands is he beating? he chops with other AX hands but do you play them this way? idk??