Should sponsored pros be allowed to play on site?

Z

zedesq

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are sponsored by a site you have an unfair advantage playing their events (because either directly or indirectly you are getting paid for playing that event). At the very least their participation should be limited, perhaps stream only.

Z

zedesq

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And before you ask, yes I believe staking in a tourney the staker also plays is collusion.

S

shopwert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. Put pros in the game. The customers eat it up. If you don’t want to play with a pro, change tables.

Z

zedesq

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you're saying you have no problem playing against players who aren't paying the same amount to enter a tourney as you?

Z

zedesq

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. Put pros in the game. The customers eat it up. If you don’t want to play with a pro, change tables.

I can't change tables in a tourney. Are you suggesting before the tourney starts it should be stated sponsored pros will play?

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think it adds to the event. As long as their entry fee is part of the prize pool, bring 'em on!

Z

zedesq

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I've got to ask, as it seems like both responders are into the excitement of it, are y'all playing to make money or for entertainment?

S

shopwert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play for fun.
It’s been a long time since I’ve played with a pro but it was below the level the pros would normally play at. Pros don’t play $1 tournaments for profit and they don’t put much effort into their play. If you have a pro in a $100 trny, look out, he’s paying attention.
I play low level tournaments. I’ve never seen a pro on any final table I’ve been on. How about you?
I think you’re worrying about a problem that you’re not going to have.

Z

zedesq

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ironically just had a sponsored come to my table and suck out 13 to 1 for his stack. Would he have made that bad call if he weren't sponsored? Debatable. Do I want him to continue to make those calls? Absolutely. But by in large I think it's an unfair advantage.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I dont see any issue with sponsored pros being at the tables. I actually think its good for the game. I miss the days where you could end up playing some pro on Full tilt. Many players would never have a chance to play against a pro any other way.

I have been lucky enough to play live vs 2 known pro's. I nearly took out one if not for the bad river. I also got to play live with a player who was ranked 14th in the world at that time. Just watching him play was amazing. 3 betting him was terrifying as as bluff but getting it though was thrilling. To have him say to you "you played very well today" was priceless.

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
As far as I have understood (and these are just my observations, not proven facts) even the promoted players pay their buy-in themselves, at least on some sites.

For example, Matt Staples who is sponsored by partypoker pays all his buy-ins himself. He has close to 300k bankroll. I don't know what perks are included in his contract but I have understood that he gets a monthly payment from Party (again, these are just my observations which I have made by watching his Twitch streams).

Is it wrong that a sponsored player plays? No, I don't think so. A sponsored player is still just a one player in a big field, and some people might get a big kick out of playing against one. If their streams allures more new people to become interested in poker then it is good for the game.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the player is a professional, it is because he has earned the right to be. For me there is no problem playing against a sponsored pro.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Why not ?? I do not think anyone gets any advantage from the pokerroom or RNG especially lol . If you see how they play , how many lose .... I do not think that because one gets a free ticket he plays recklessly loose game , I think they play the same , at least some pros on Twitch that I have watched ,,,,

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I fail to see the problem. I assume, sponsored pros are getting a better rake-back deal than other players, but this does not affect the game flow. And its no different than the fact, rake-backs deal or other promotions might differ from player to player for many other reasons than someone being a sponsored pro.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
it's an MTT how many times did you ever seated with the PRO

so don't worry about it, let them play

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that you can learn a lot from them, so it doesn't really bother me.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, I don't agree with that, the fact that you play at someone else's expense will not add to your skill at the poker table.
Poker is a very fair game, no connections and rich parents will help you achieve success, the one who is really smarter will always earn in poker.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
Personally, I would love to play with a professional, in order to learn how to play better, I have to play with a stronger player, and I don't care how much he pays or doesn't pay.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It doesn’t bother me at all that if someone is sponsored, it’s just not the dealers sponsoring that player because that’s already suspicious. :listen::icon_joke

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Doesn't bother me at all,now about staking that,s done from micro's to the nose bleed game's,take staking out of the game both live and online the fields will drop and so will the prize pools,a lot of the player's that we see playing are staked,player's, I know online its not readily available to the average person who is staked, but in the big live tourny's I thought for some reason that was disclosed,but those games are only a dream for me

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are right, such pro players have an advantage on their field as well as the football players playing on their field.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I thought online poker is rigged than no, but I don't believe it is, so, I don't mind if a sponsored pro is playing the same tournament than me.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play low levels and normally I do not cross them for obvious reasons, when I play a high buyin tournament and there is a pro at my table I get excited, for several players it is irreverent because they are used to meeting them at the tables but I am not, So I do not have any problem with sponsored players, I do not see why it should generate any problem, I do not see any disadvantage or advantage in the exposed point:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4: