Should sitting out be auto loss?

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all. I’m playing on 888 poker and during their freerolls there are a lot of people “sitting out”. Once there was just me and one other playing with 7 “sitting out”. The problem I have is when the blinds get large enough to force them all in, they often win and keep going. I feel if you aren’t there your hand should be dead and you are not able to win the pot. It seems there are a large number of people who register with no intent to play and hope to luck into the cash It happens often that they do cash at the lower end.

Thoughts?

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
should be sitting out like on stars agree.

J

Joonnn1212

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having tons of people sitting out at your table in a freeroll is definitely annoying and takes away from the fun of the poker in my opinion. I've accepted that this is in the nature of freerolls since people won't take them as serious without having to risk any money to play. I think its unfair for people sitting out to automatically lose because there are people that could be having connection issues and they should have a chance to reconnect and continue playing.

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having tons of people sitting out at your table in a freeroll is definitely annoying and takes away from the fun of the poker in my opinion. I've accepted that this is in the nature of freerolls since people won't take them as serious without having to risk any money to play. I think its unfair for people sitting out to automatically lose because there are people that could be having connection issues and they should have a chance to reconnect and continue playing.

I know some may have connection issues but if you were playing a live tourney your hand would be dead if you are not at the table. The problem with these people sitting out is when they end up all-in the hand gets played and it should not be played.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
AFAIK, pokerstars is the only site that not only displays when a player is sitting out, but also folds their hands. In certain rare circumstances, the hand may play. I think if the dead hand is in the BB with exactly the amount of one BB remaining, the hand plays if there are no raisers.

I play on 888, partypoker, ACR, BetOnline, and Sportsbetting. Only PP doesn't show when a stack is dead money, but auto folds them even to limps. All the others let the dead stacks play if there is no raise, or if they are all in.

I prefer the PS approach. I should think everyone would. The most annoying part of sitters is the change in the table dynamic. That is the only problem that exists across the board.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should get like 10 hands or 5 minutes of sitting out- then you should be removed. This would help eliminate the limping to sitters phenom that is so popular today.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand people may have connectivity issues at times but I’m talking about the ones who sit out entire tournament or they go all in every hand until they double or triple up and then sit out the rest knowing they’ll get into the money being blinded down.

Good to know about PokerStars. I think this is how they should all be. Thanks for info.

HypnoT0AD

HypnoT0AD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep Pokerstars seems to be the best way as you can see when the player is sitting out, it auto-plays blinds.

Really there's not much difference to a player sitting out and someone who is folding every hand, in fact the sitting out player takes less time as it instaskips.

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Well in freerolls sometimes is best to sit out and be in action when blinds are worth it.

R

RicardoTolfo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By the rule, sitting out is folds in all hands! 888 is a only software where sitting outs winning hands...

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree the sitter outs should be removed after ten minutes of play like over at Red Kings Poker.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. Maybe they could give people 10 or 15 minutes after they sit out to come back but then they should forfeit there blinds.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, in rare instances you even see the pros sitting out in live tourneys as part of their strategy. I will admit it does not happen that often. If they don.t play any hands at all then there might be a reason to complain but if they play a bunch of hands and then sit out I may not like it but it's their game.:D:D

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This actually worked out for me today. I was a table with 7 sitting out. I knocked out the other player then there was me and 8 sitting out. Raised each pot and got blinds and antes. Super turbo freeroll so got a nice stack built up before got moved to another table.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a sore point for me cause I stepped my way into a tourney made it to a final table and the person sitting out and I were fighting for not being the bubble. My AJ lost to his J7 or something as ridiculous. The real kicker was he auto-raised in the BB cause he couldn't match the sb next hand (a sitout auto-raising is absolutely nuts to me). $400 bucks was up for that position. So yeah I think they should be dead hands.

I like what T-unit said about maybe give them 5 minutes so we know its not a connection issue. But otherwise the hands should be dead in my opinion

X

xbursonicx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see any reasoning why "sitting out" players shouldn't automatically fold (like on PS). It's annoying when they win a pot as a result of showdown. It's even more annoying when you being in SB position and having a "sitting out" player on your left forgot about this and chose to automatically fold, and when no one raises the pot goes to "sitting out" player - I've been burnt like that more than once.

I think its unfair for people sitting out to automatically lose because there are people that could be having connection issues and they should have a chance to reconnect and continue playing

Connectivity issues are detected by software automatically, and such players get some time to reconnect (I don't remember how much on PS, let's say it's about 30s or 1m). After that the player gets "sitting out" status, and if he isn't short-stacked it should take quite a while for him to blind out. So surely such players have enough time to reconnect.

Pokerguy6666

Pokerguy6666

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like what Microgaming network (Betsafe, Betsson, etc.) does for freeroll; if you do not play a hand before level 2 of the tournament, you are removed from the game at the beginning of level 2.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think sitting out should be removed after the blinds have increased to level 4,this is giving people who had registered but were unable to be at the start of the tourney time to play.:):):)

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't mind if there are "satoutters" at my table. I even glad there are some! I mean it's free chips guys, great opportunity to get into ITM and Final Table, growing your stack without risks just by taking their blinds and antes. You are actually very lucky to be at the table with many "sitoutters" on it! I don't see, why you feel bothered by that and thinking about "how it ruins poker concepts". I mean poker is about money, right? If you have opportunity to get the money easier, be glad, don't be irritated.
However i agree with that point about 888. It's really a bollocks, that "sitoutters" keep winning hands. They definitely should change it to the way, as PS have. When a "sitoutter" ever goes All-In, his hand must be mucked and he should be out. It's ridiculous sometimes, how often they have luck at their last All-In hand again, and again and again, until they get into the money. That's just not right.

But even if you hate "satoutters", in fact you can't really do anything with that, as it's a right of every player, who registered in a tournament if he will be playing or not and when he will start to play or when he will make a pause. I mean, if you paid buy-in and not playing, you're kinda just gave your money away, that been sponsored to increase a prize pool, so you're kinda shooting at your own feet by that. Of course, it's different at Freerolls, where many players simply misapply their rights and register only for winning something (like min payout) without playing. But it can be fixed, if tournament manager simply take a time and adjust tournament structure, so that it will be very hard to win anything by just sitting out. That will remove tons of satoutters just in a week, as it make no sense then anymore.

And i know that even some professional players do have a point of view, it's better coming on late registration a hour later or so to increase your time investment/profit ratio, even though you are loosing some of opportunities to increase your stack in that time. I'm more at the opposite site, who say "you should use all of your tournament time to increase your chances for FT". Well it's another ambivalent topic, that deserves it's own thread to discuss.

Last edited:
ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The issue is that people can be sitting out and win pots when they're forced all in. It's truly a travesty does not happen in real poker.

E

enable2shyne

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
YUP

all players who are sitting out with short stacks do is influence action in an adverse way....prevents bluffing or reveals hand ranges if there is an all in

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ACR does this as well. No way someone sitting out for long enough to be all-in on their BB should win a hand.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should not be able to win when you are not even playing.
Player should continue to get blinded out, they still have a right to continue to get back in the action. I am against the time limit total removal.

I remember playing a super satellite that was hyper turbo and I had a heart breaking demoralizing defeat to someone who decided to sitout. We had like 2.5 BB and he did not lose in his rotation when his all in came up. I lost with QQ to JJ.

I also think all in should be dealt 5 cards at once.