Schools of thought

B

brandonkremb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I pose a double sided question to all of my Cardschat contributors. Due to the volatile nature of today's online freerolls, which school of thought do you believe gives the best chances of getting the money? These two schools of thought are the Harrington approach where you only play the strongest hands and hope to get lucky while conserving your chips for later rounds or the latter which is getting your chips in early with speculative hands in hopes of amassing a large stack for the middle stages of the tournament. Let me know your thought! Does the Harrington approach still work or is it too outdated?:D

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Harrington approach will get you crumbs in freerolls. It will waste a lot more of your time for minimal returns. The speculative approach is simpler with freerolls. You're out early and can go do something better with your time or you stay for the deep run and actually make some money.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should not zatsiklivaytes on certain exercises, and play fun, I think you can play with anything, in fact many times the flop comes a map for Q8 or K6 is not necessary to sit and wait for AK or AA because the flop may not priydti AK or Ah! So I play with all the hands I want. I play, I enjoy, I like to play

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Example! Opponent goes AK you have A6 flop A610 turn 3 river 9 your sir ) and so often the case where KQ loses K4

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tried Harringtons approach already in freerolls and microstakes. Outdated confirmed.
Although, I still use Harrington's M, for tournament poker still.

Tamik228

Tamik228

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I pose a double sided question to all of my Cardschat contributors. Due to the volatile nature of today's online freerolls, which school of thought do you believe gives the best chances of getting the money? These two schools of thought are the Harrington approach where you only play the strongest hands and hope to get lucky while conserving your chips for later rounds or the latter which is getting your chips in early with speculative hands in hopes of amassing a large stack for the middle stages of the tournament. Let me know your thought! Does the Harrington approach still work or is it too outdated?:D

Choose a suitable strategy for the game and go ahead. Do not look back and always go forward. Do not go to the flop often, either raise or fold.
Good luck to you in tournaments dear friend.:icon_thum

onione6ix

onione6ix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Change your game. I keep Harrington's Books at my side in the grind station. When i referance something I normally find. I already know this information by heart. These strats are old and dated even for freerolls.

V

Vasilii813

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'm trying to score chips to hold out until the control re-buy and when it passes it is a different people start to play, and to people of all fifteen thousand of the chips I have twelve thousand, and pair of kings I'm gonna call and that he reveals six two peak and he comes on Board two sixes how many times I was so lost not to count so to the purchases of people play on luck then begins the poker, though not always because the people who enter the tournament are more likely to go to all those who pay for entrance it will always be.

K

karlus185

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in some cases the Harrington abortion still works, it depends a lot on the dynamics of the table and how other players are playing

plastilin898

plastilin898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played on the books of Harrington, but rarely achieved good results, now I try in the early stages of the tournament to play more hands, at a later stage of the tournament I play only with strong hands

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The bigger the risk the bigger the reward... or so they say. When A's and K's get cracked it sux, but when a 65std fails to win I think nothing of it and keep going.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Each hand is different. I wouldn't stick to any strategy in freerolls. start off with a good hand or two, then exploit players with any hand. Exploiting other players is so much more important than your specific hand in these freerolls. Expect a few all-ins at the beginning, followed by careless play after.

specialjuice

specialjuice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just play a lot thats a way to build skills up

P

psuedosuited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington approach will get you crumbs in freerolls. It will waste a lot more of your time for minimal returns. The speculative approach is simpler with freerolls. You're out early and can go do something better with your time or you stay for the deep run and actually make some money.

I tend to agree that chipping up early with suited connectors makes more sense than grinding out premium hands in freerolls. I see KK and get ready to be cracked...

S

Sensei_2k19

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For the early stage, you can play tight and open high hands, after the set of the Bank to play aggressively and bluff on short stacks

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Little approach.

Thank you for posting

Jonathan Little is a poker coach who teaches you how to think in every situation. If you want to be great at poker, learn to do that and apply it to any and all levels of poker.

Here is an example of what he does:

https://pokercoaching.com/sneakpeek/webinar1/

:)

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
I dont see any aproach working with fixed strategy, play according to the situation, early on in the tourney its easy to play with a wider range of cards because the blinds are small and its easy to abort a hand when it doesnt flop your hole cards.

Were as mid tourney, the game tightens a little more and after you pass that stage, the final is very tight play in action.

Thanks

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you have to be good at both styles. the table dynamics are always changing. so i suggest a hybrid of both. you need to use what ever is best for you and whatever the table dictates. when they zig you zag

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Brunson, Harrington, Helmuth, Negreano, Skansky, Secretlooser, Farra...they all have a very good approach, suitable for all kind of situations (table size, table mud, blinds, stacks, cash or tournaments, Sit/go, online/live). It's better to know all and play as many hand as possible you can.