Rookie question

UnTalTales

UnTalTales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, rookie here:

To my surprise, I have noticed that, with the same game strategy, I get different results in the tournaments of different rooms.

I already noticed that in 2 rooms the result is almost identical: I beat the bubble evenly but I do not reach the final tables.

In another room I reach the final tables 15% of the time, and I exceed the bubble 40% of the time.

There is another room where I rarely get through the bubble.

So, apparently the engines act sensibly differently.

Does anyone know where I can find info on this topic? I'd like to be refered to literature or videos that delve into the subject.

I would also like to read info about "bots" in online game.

Thanks in advance. :D

UnTalTales

Stevan

Stevan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, rookie here:

To my surprise, I have noticed that, with the same game strategy, I get different results in the tournaments of different rooms.

I already noticed that in 2 rooms the result is almost identical: I beat the bubble evenly but I do not reach the final tables.

In another room I reach the final tables 15% of the time, and I exceed the bubble 40% of the time.

There is another room where I rarely get through the bubble.

So, apparently the engines act sensibly differently.

Does anyone know where I can find info on this topic? I'd like to be refered to literature or videos that delve into the subject.

I would also like to read info about "bots" in online game.

Thanks in advance. :D

UnTalTales

I don't think that you will find much and if you do u can't do anything, it's same like politics, so my advice is just keep on playing and enjoy the game as much as you can

UnTalTales

UnTalTales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just keep on playing and enjoy the game as much as you can
Well, StevanPoker96, that's exactly what I do. :D In fact, my game improved a lot when I started enjoying it.

Thanks, and have a nice week ;)

UnTalTales

P

preki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how many tourneys have you played on each site

yard47

yard47

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you played on all these sites evenly?

I guess since you are already knowledgable to some degree you know about variance?

IF you follow the exact same strategy on each of these sites and their playing field would be evenly distributed (regulars, recreational, fish, pros) over time your results on each of these sites should come to an equlibrium.

But there could be many factors to why you run different on each of these sites..

It could be the case, that the playing field each sites attract varies to some degree.
You could also do worse because of the software (2-4 tabling with a bad software can be a hassle and can blur your decision making)

I think to definitely know you'd have to play on each site for a large sample size and we could then analyze the data :)

Good luck on the tables!

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Do you play on different sites at different times of the day?

UnTalTales

UnTalTales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi preki. I just started playing almost daily. In one room I played thousands of freerolls in five or six years but in a non-permanent way. In the other two rooms only tens. In fact, in one of the rooms I registered fifteen days ago more or less. I guess it's not enough for a reasonable statistic.
yard47 said:
Have you played on all these sites evenly?
Hi yard47.I'm afraid I'm not even close to "played evenly".
I think to definitely know you'd have to play on each site for a large sample size and we could then analyze the data :)
You're right. There is not enough data. In fact, I am an occasional player, although I have the project to play more seriously by March 2019.
Do you play on different sites at different times of the day?
Hi puzzlefish. Two different rooms at same times of the day mostly.

Thanks for the patience guys.

Have a great end of the year. :)

millya5

millya5

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips

Hello . I only play freerolls. Fewer and fewer freerolls. Please tell me the freerolls on conditional chips 20,000 in Home Games club number and entry code. Which are paid with real money.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, first I want to congratulate you since the percentages in the different rooms that you mentioned are very good and I think that you should not change your game in any way since the results speak of a great player, I have as philosophy always start a tournament with the aspiration to win but the goal is to be in the money, I do not have information about the boots and the books that I could recommend are for cash game almost all not for online tournaments, however I wanted to write to congratulate you for your high percentage of success in the different rooms, greetings

UnTalTales

UnTalTales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, first I want to congratulate you since the percentages in the different rooms that you mentioned are very good and I think that you should not change your game in any way since the results speak of a great player
Hello greatgame230,
Well, I guess one of my faults is not recognizing my own successes. The truth is that, as I explained, in one room I am doing well, in another regular and in another quite poor, although in the worst I have achieved some "ITM".
Until a couple of weeks ago I played with little frequency (I was more than a year without touching poker programs) and I play many games without any intention to at least finish them. I suppose to play every session can seriously mean a big change.
Talking about changes, a couple of months ago I discovered that I can enjoy even the defeats, especially when the opponent has had a hellish luck on the river, has cheated me masterfully or has made an incredible risky call. Since then, my game improved noticeably.

I have as philosophy always start a tournament with the aspiration to win but the goal is to be in the money
I agree with you: "goal is to be in the money". The final tables and first places represent a significant percentage of my profits, but most come from having managed to enter the ITM list. I still do not feel comfortable playing cash, although so far the balance is positive on these tables.
I wanted to write to congratulate you for your high percentage of success in the different rooms, greetings
Thank you! You are very kind. I wish you the best at the tables and in life. ;)

Last edited:
MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, it seems you are able to have a good percentage of finishing ITM. This is a good sign, so you must be doing lots of correct things.

As for the differences in positions at different sites, I would not be so concerned about this. Poker is a game of very high varience, so unless you have many tournaments played, on each site, then you will know the true statistics.

It is also possible the difference is skill level from different poker rooms, some have more skilled regulars, while other have lots of recreational fishes.

If you think you have a better edge at the room you make more deep runs, then perhaps you should concentrate more to this room.

UnTalTales

UnTalTales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of very high varience...
It is also possible the difference is skill level from different poker rooms...
Hi, MatMackenz,
Your arguments seem very reasonable to me. I think that even with a significant sample there would be differences between the rooms. At least in regards to freerolls and small stake tournaments. In what I have not seen any difference is in the cash tables. It seems to me there are see less recreational players. What do you think?
If you think you have a better edge at the room you make more deep runs, then perhaps you should concentrate more to this room.
I would love to concentrate on the room where I have better results, but it is losing quality, both technical and in the support area, and many players are migrating to other rooms. The sit & go filled quickly before. Now, the list of tournaments is shorter and it takes to complete the number of players. It is a pity. I think that the Poker area of that company is being mismanaged and, although the design of the interface is one of the most user-friendly in the market, it is not being well implemented technically. In fact I have lost money because the client has fallen.
I'm testing pokerstars and Winamax, as alternatives. Pokerstars, in my opinion (I'm an industrial and graphic designer), has an outdated interface but a robust architecture. I have never seen a "bug" in Pokerstars. In Winamax I have seen a few in jus a couple of weeks.

I believe that I will have to migrate without wishing it, as it happens to many people in this world.

Thanks for your interest.

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At least it sounds like you playing well. I'm not sure if there are any books or videos on the topics you needing help with. My 2 cents is that you can play the same game over and over and still get different results. You can do everything perfectly and still be kicked out the tournament early. Poker is full of vaiants, maybe that's what makes it fun and keeps us on our toes :) Keep playing and keep practising.

UnTalTales

UnTalTales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My 2 cents is that you can play the same game over and over and still get different results. You can do everything perfectly and still be kicked out the tournament early. Poker is full of vaiants, maybe that's what makes it fun and keeps us on our toes :) Keep playing and keep practising.
Hi blanktheman,

I agree with each word. And that's the most interesting thing about poker: you never know what's going to happen. The only thing that one knows is that, in the long run, if you make few silly things, you will get benefits.

It seems to me that many of the improvements I've achieved, although I have not taken this game seriously until a few weeks ago, were due to the detection of errors and to be careful not to repeat them. I also increased my aggression, but aggressiveness without common sense is tender and fresh meat for good players.

Thanks

uriell

uriell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Such literature or more complete information you will not find anywhere. And even if you will offer any information for the money. This will be a complete divorce. Only personal training will help you.

UnTalTales

UnTalTales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This will be a complete divorce. Only personal training will help you.
Hi uriel,

I do not consider obtaining that type of information as part of the training. I think of it as a "knowing the neighborhood" in which I bought a house.

Thak you.