Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Reflections from the fish tank"

The catharsis of fish (lucubrations of one who wants to stop being fish)

By Carlos A. García.

Hello people. There are times that, like every beginner, I question things that I suppose that the 10% of winning players in poker (or whatever percentage) will have exceeded them.
I will be exposing here my doubts as a rookie (bah, 10 years ago I played double or nothing semi-professionally but today's poker is another, so 5 months ago I feel like I started from scratch again).
In reality, poker is no other, the players are others, because there are preflop tables even on toilet paper and years ago only Carreño's books and the occasional forum or school were in Spanish.
Being out of work (I'm a taxi driver and I'm almost 59 years old, so my wife only gets in my car and I take her temperature first haha), I play poker thinking about money and I think that's a problem (I'm convinced that "whoever plays out of necessity loses out of obligation").
So the question is: is poker a game for people with money? Because you play freerolls, suddenly two or three shit rooms are closed to you and they keep half your bankroll, and go to court in The Hague ...
Freerolls are clearly part of the poker bankroll learning and training curve but: how do you know when to jump into bigger challenges, call it cash, sits, low buy in or spins (never played these)?
10 years ago we played double or nothing of 5 euros with my wife and we lived almost a year of them, but we played benches (or as you say in English) and we were swindled (I was always pretty dumb for the money).
Today the dons are not profitable, so to something else butterfly.
The fish "reflection" of today is: supposing that I choose to play cash (I am thinking of it to complement the mtt) I have not seen many strategies for NL2 (to top it off I am from the old guard and I have a hard time adapting to 6 max).
Let's see, and I say this with the deepest respect (remember that I am only an inhabitant of the fish tanks wanting to stop being one): in all the strategies I have seen they talk about OR, 3bet, 4 bet, etc, etc . But the reality, at least in the zoological hospices where I have played cash, is that it cleans the entire table and if you do OR it matches you up to the dealer, it does not matter if you raise 2.5 blinds or 456 blinds. So you are going to see the flop with 4 or 5 other animals from the jungle.
In short, the question is: if everyone cleans and cold calls, whatever you do with your hand, how the hell do you read them or isolate yourself against these laboratory test tube characters?
Or should we wait for a cannon, pray to Saint Doyle Brunson and put allin preflop?

Thank you very much for your attention.

More "reflections from the fish tank" coming soon.

P.D: Sorry for my bad english.

Best regards from Buenos Aires.

Attachments

• opción-de-pescados-6101971.jpg
    opción-de-pescados-6101971.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 17
Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's definitely hard to play against button-mashers, the good part is that you're more likely to put your chips in when you're ahead though.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Reflections from the fish tank"
Freerolls are clearly part of the poker bankroll learning and training curve but: how do you know when to jump into bigger challenges, call it cash, sits, low buy in or spins (never played these)?

The fish "reflection" of today is: supposing that I choose to play cash (I am thinking of it to complement the mtt) I have not seen many strategies for NL2 (to top it off I am from the old guard and I have a hard time adapting to 6 max).

Best regards from Buenos Aires.

Hey Warrior - for me (I'm a very green rookie) I have only been playing poker since February of 2019, I freerolled until I had 20 dollars worth of earnings. At that point I decided to start playing 25 cent buyin MTTs. I had already learned my preferred game is MTTs - so the entire time I was freerolling I was planning to jump into MTTs over all other game types.

Re: NL2 strategies. Blackrain79 Nathan Williams (a certified member on this site) has some great micro limit strategies - and goes into a lot of detail related to 6-Max as well. I would say he is probably the most prominent player I know that regularly puts out info for this exact buyin level. His youtube conten is top quality, and he also has several books. I have not purchased/read them - but from what others have said about them, they are top quality content.
Basic strategy - be a super TAG, and get the money in good. No bluffing, Tight is Right.

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi friends.

Thank you for your responses and comments. It's always good to talk to people who have similar concerns about poker and playing against the insane lottopoker gamblers.

Kind regards from Buenos Aires.