The "Pucker Up" Zone

GhostEagle

GhostEagle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You all know what I'm Talking about...lol. The point in the tourney where you have 20-30bb and tighten up trying to make the final table or get in the money. That is the pucker up zone.:eek: Your butt tightens up tighter than a frogs butt.
You have to rid yourself of the fear and the thoughts that if you make the wrong move others will think your a donkey. I personally have gotten to the place where I don't care what others think. If they think I'm a donkey, all the better, because the next time I make a solid move they will remember "it's the donkey" and overreact and make a mistake in my favor.
Also if you your making the right moves, remember "Sklansky or G Dollars" when reviewing your sessions(look them up) to see where you made an error or your opponent did. It's worked wonders for my mental game and given me great info about my opponents behavior to use down the line. Also forget about the #'s. 20-30 bb's is a good stack.
I've learned to think more about my position in the tourney than my stack size. Am I the short stack? Am i a medium stack? How many others are in my position and what are they thinking. Let others make the mistakes and don't get rattled till your down to 12bb or less. Make an occasional move with a good hand to keep the pressure on the other medium stacks or steal blinds. They are watching, believe me. Believe in your ability to make the right move at the right time. "Following the rules" makes you very predictable to smart players. Lose the frog butt mentality and have a good time. You'll be surprised how much more fun you have, how much more at ease you'll be, how many better decisions you make and how much more successful you'll be. IMHO:D
Opinions?

Threshold2122

Threshold2122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure all players have or will suffer from this

I think that what separates the players who win against the players who don't is the ability to stay calm or even up the aggression in situations like this

In adversity comes opportunity and if everyone is playing scared as it's the bubble or the next cash jump you can sometimes improve your own stack and therefore chances of winning by taking advantage of players reluctance to lose close to the money

Good luck out there

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I concentrated on MTTs since I started learning the game and developed what I consider to be a very good habit.

I open up the tournament lobby then drag down through the entire field to watch the first eliminations shown (which is illuminating if you play the same touneys with regularity). The lobby page is open to the right with the table overlaid to the left showing the entire field. Obviouly I check the leaderboard frquently but then drop down through the list to last player eliminated as default position.

This way, you are exactly on top of where you are in the field at any given moment. Additionally the leader board will show your exact position, the smallest and largest stacks.
Whether tall stacked or short you will know exactly the course of action you need to take way before the bubble.

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, the timeframe where you start getting the very worst hands. I know the zone well. Then right when you are about to blind out, you catch AA or KK and lose to a 27 os, lol

Q

Qrise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at such moments of the game I start to fold my cards more than usual :cool: it helps a lot to go further

C

capujoss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know a lot of people that play like that too. Survival skills maybe?

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Love it. That’s when I think almost all online poker gets down to some really good solid poker!! That’s when it gets real fun. Everyone has some inherent money in the game now and they act like it!! Good times!!

Z

Stay Safe