Is Public Wi-Fi Safe for Playing?

cris1964

cris1964

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whenever you use public wifi to access an account such as PokerStars, or your bank, it is possible that some villain is scanning/caching all the traffic on that wifi network.

If you only use your poker site login for play money, and use a different password from your other sensitive logins, then theft of your login access is not as serious. Of course, any info about you that is stored in your profile on that site is compromised.

In summary, NO - DO NOT USE PUBLIC wifi for any account logins.

It's true that you want to use your internet safely on your phone. Maybe it's not the cheapest but something for something.

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
It's always better to be safe than sorry, but I think you are a bit paranoid here. If you are in the middle of nowhere, for example, it's unlikely that there will be any sniffers around.

Anyway, the use of VPN is recommended. If you don't want to spend money for VPN services, you may have the option to setup your own VPN server at home. If you have an appropriate router, this could be rather easy. Make sure you never connect to your home VPN server if you currently reside in a banned country by the poker room, 'cause that would be illegal!

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on how trustworthy and security aware the provider of the public WiFi is....
I don’t think that Starbucks or McDonalds do bad enough to start sniffing on their customers WiFi connections for poker passwords...
And if a hacker can infiltrate the WiFi then he probably could do it too with your router at home.

If you want to be absolutely safe then you shouldn’t connect to public WiFi but I think at a trusted store or cafe you are not less sFe then at home

riverokker

riverokker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to sit at Tim Hortons and play. I never thought there would be a problem. Thanks for informing me. I didn't know it was such a big thing. Scammers suck. I hate when they steal your identity. Good luck![emoji812]️

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think it matters if you use VPN...

Plenty of free Virtual Private Networks out there...CLICK HERE

VIP_TARIFF

VIP_TARIFF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it safe to play poker through public wi-fi?
Not safe, generally try not to connect to public wifi, I can steal money from cards and cash out your room. Buy a 4G modem and a sim card and use the rest of the Internet.

prozitu

prozitu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is a risk of instability in the connection, in my view is not a good idea!

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
My rule of thumb: Never trust in anybody, anything. The private connections are vulnerable, not 100% protected and the public ones, even more unreliable.

Best of Luck

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, of course what's Wi-Fi and the game of poker? You could play any other types of games or to climb into accounts via Wi Fi, not Wi Fi it's just a Bluetooth predostavleny the entrance to the Internet!

Safe Poker Sites