Problem with Freerolls

BustyBusters

BustyBusters

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with freerolls is on average 50-60% don't care or don't know how to actually play so you find yourself in a minefield of live cards anytime you get a premium hand. Counter argument is always "yeah butt just tighten up" which isn't an effective strategy in this scenario.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Tell us your effective strategy.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Why isn't playing TAG an effective strategy against loose players?
It seems pretty effective in my experience doing so.

The problem with freerolls is on average 50-60% don't care or don't know how to actually play so you find yourself in a minefield of live cards anytime you get a premium hand. Counter argument is always "yeah butt just tighten up" which isn't an effective strategy in this scenario.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why isn't playing TAG an effective strategy against loose players?
It seems pretty effective in my experience doing so.

IMO it is a good strategy but the problem is: In a lot of freerolls (on 888 for example) the blinds levels are increasing so fast that you don't have time enough to play TAG waiting for good hands. So you must enlarge your range (hoping to be lucky) or you run out of chips.
That's why I defintely don't like freerolls (except restricted ones) I prefer micro buy-in MTTs

BustyBusters

BustyBusters

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tell us your effective strategy.
Dude I honestly don't know, that why I created this thread. At this point push pre with premiums and hope to hold until you get to a smaller field of more serious players.

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion a Freeroll poker game is in its own category. Your going to see it all in a freeroll. Yes for the most part they are hard to play partly because of the constant shoving let alone the blinds going up so fast, and because of that variance (luck) plays a much larger roll than typical $paid tournament.

If I’m at a table with someone who shoves (all the time in 888) almost all the time or plays every hand and I get a good hand, I shove too. I will also play a few more hands than normal at the beginning of the tournament. You literally only have so much time to wait for a good hand and grow your chip stack. So if you can’t beat them, then join them. It’s a freeroll, so I figure I’m either in or out and I’d rather know that sooner than later, because if its later, I just waisted my time. I try to see that person at the table who keeps going in every hand or shoves all the time as my own personal ATM. They are just holding my chips temporarily, while I find my moment to grow my stack quickly through them or the ATM grew their stack through me with their 23o and I’m out happily moving on to another tournament where variance is more in my favour :).

For the most part, I think CC Freerolls are the best because you still need skillfully PLAY a good poker strategy if you want even a chance to win. There are really good players in CC to learn from during play.

As for 888, I love their numerous Freerolls and I play them all the time, but they are a frenzy of crazy and its hard to actually have a strategy to use and play. If you want to play those you really need to bring wee bit of your own frenzy and crazy to the table and ride the variance wave of Lady Luck where ever she chooses to take you. Just play poker and have fun!! If you want to play real poker with skill and strategy accounting for more than variance stay with CC or pay $$$.

Last edited:
najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips

I think a TAG strategy is effective at least during the first couple of levels till you see who pushes too mush and with what, so you can adjust. Besides, when you make a hand, those who don't know how to play as you say, will pay you off.

BustyBusters

BustyBusters

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion a Freeroll poker game is in its own category. Your going to see it all in a freeroll. Yes for the most part they are hard to play partly because of the constant shoving let alone the blinds going up so fast, and because of that variance (luck) plays a much larger roll than typical $paid tournament.

If I’m at a table with someone who shoves (all the time in 888) almost all the time or plays every hand and I get a good hand, I shove too. I will also play a few more hands than normal at the beginning of the tournament. You literally only have so much time to wait for a good hand and grow your chip stack. So if you can’t beat them, then join them. It’s a freeroll, so I figure I’m either in or out and I’d rather know that sooner than later, because if its later, I just waisted my time. I try to see that person at the table who keeps going in every hand or shoves all the time as my own personal ATM. They are just holding my chips temporarily, while I find my moment to grow my stack quickly through them or the ATM grew their stack through me with their 23o and I’m out happily moving on to another tournament where variance is more in my favour :).

For the most part, I think CC Freerolls are the best because you still need skillfully PLAY a good poker strategy if you want even a chance to win. There are really good players in CC to learn from during play.

As for 888, I love their numerous Freerolls and I play them all the time, but they are a frenzy of crazy and its hard to actually have a strategy to use and play. If you want to play those you really need to bring wee bit of your own frenzy and crazy to the table and ride the variance wave of Lady Luck where ever she chooses to take you. Just play poker and have fun!! If you want to play real poker with skill and strategy accounting for more than variance stay with CC or pay $$$.
I've never played on 888. Is it played in all states like ACR?

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just stay ahead of the blinds, it doesnt matter if its a hype or a turbo or a freeroll or both or a regular mtt.
But a lot of freerolls are a crazy minefield but thats a good thing and free money is also a good thing :)

M

Mrsanax12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ALL IN

My bigest problem in free rolls is that at least 2/3 of the people dont care about it , they just go all in from the start alot of times ..meanwhile im folding with really good cards only because im way too scared to loste 20seconds into the tournament , if anyone has a smilar situation like me on my tables please share me your opinion on this

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to adapt on they level and play effective agains them

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
One of the problems that I find myself with is dealing with players who bet you anything and like they pay you any hand that shouldn't be there.

Freeroll Passwords