Poker Etiquette

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many times I do the 2700 person 100 dollar freerolls on full tilt and countless times i see deep in the tournament people betting the flop and turn when other people are all in. I get angry and tell them no bluffing but for the most part they just ignore me. Then later when they get everyone to fold they show some crap hand with no pair and the person all in does not get eliminated.
Is it just me or does this happen all the time?
Thoughts?

well this is online and most people will not check it down usually, this happens not only in freerolls but in real money buy in tourneys and sit n gos too. I mean if it was me and I hit trips on flop with someone all in and lets say there is a flush draw of course im going to bet against the other player. why shouldnt I? I have checked down some pots with some people but you wont see this a lot online, so just get used to it

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please understand that we are talking about BLUFFING (very loosely defined, as well; ex. betting w bottom pair = bluffing in this situation) into a dry side pot as being an unsound tournament strategy...

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree, and to call it collusion is just rediculous.

It is collusion but impossible to prove without supporting chat. Do it every time when it is warranted, just don't SAY you are doing it and don't suggest that others do it. It's just like folding to blinds to get rid of sitters. Good practice, but collusion if you talk about it. :deal:

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Explain how bluffing into a dry side pot, post flop, is a sound play,cause I don't see that If you hit your hand, or have what looks strong compared to the board okay fine. But say, as an example, that you call a push with AKd, and the flop comes Q-6-8 all black, hpw is betting into whoever else is still in the hand a strong play? Regardless of your mindset re/ limpin v winning or whatever, all you've got with 2 cards yet to come is 2 pretty cards, no hand and no draw. I don't see where leading with it is a strong play at all. If you can get a free card, take it.

You've got to think in the context of the whole tournament - like I said earlier, if this is happening around the time of the bubble, you should be happy for the short stacks to hang around. The longer the bubble drags on, the more chances you'll have to accumulate chips from players who just want to limp into the money, and are throwing away a lot of their playable hands to ensure that they do.

In this context, checking a pot down just to increase the chances of the bubble bursting is actually a pretty weak play. It says "I'm not a strong bubble player, I just want to get to the money". Valid strategy, but not a strong one. If you're still a long way from the money, it probably doesn't matter so much.

There's another argument for doing it too that says your ATK are a much better chance to win against one opponent than they are against two. You have to think about the circumstances under which the all in bet was made, but if the player has been blinded all the way down, or they've just been crippled, their likely range of holdings is wide and you might even be ahead of them. Bet to eliminate the third player from the hand, and your chances of winning the pot go up - that's playing to win.

In your example hand, if the all in player has, say, AJ / KJ / AT / KT (not unreasonable) and you manage to push K8 or a flush draw out of the pot, you've maximised your chance of winning. I'd see that as a sound play.

Yes, I understand this goes against accepted practice for most people, and sometimes the right call might be to just check the hand down. Maybe it's even the right call most of the time. But there are good arguments for playing the hand other ways sometimes.

daxter70

daxter70

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK....

suffice to say i am a STRONG support of cking a player down..especially early when its some allin donk who got knocked down in chips and moved in and 3 people in...i will ck it down EVEN IF i make quads...

IF i get bet into..watch out!!!!! LMAO

later stages....bubble or close...u have 35K vs 40 vs 3k???

CHECK it down right??

now i have had final table...live and online where i call a 4 way pot...with JJ say..or 1010...and flop come 348 with 1 or 2 players allin.....and a 15K pot...i might want to bet out or allin..depend on stacks and POS to take down that pot and set myself up for a run at 1st

one other final table...had 10 8 soooooted...(DEADLIEST HAND IN POKER BY THE WAY) in the BB and UTG min raises and utg + 1 moves all in for 500 over the min raise
one caller ...and i call and UTG calls
flop A510...all ck....turn 10...i ck utg ck..and caller bets pot, 1/2 his stack.....i go tank then raise him his other stack...

my buddy goes tank......and say u better have a hand im layin down big...
(I CAN DODGE BULLETS BABY) if that tells u what he had..

guy calls and has 99

end of story...i go on win our league..>LOL

when i shake the my buddy's hand..i tell him i wouldve cked it down..and i wouldve ...if he hadnt bet into me...LOL

so it goes...............:cool:

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please understand that we are talking about BLUFFING (very loosely defined, as well; ex. betting w bottom pair = bluffing in this situation) into a dry side pot as being an unsound tournament strategy...

^^this. I should have included semi- bluffing as well; I certrainly meant to imply it. Yeah, there's a time for all out aggression, I quite agree. But I don't buy it here. If that makes me a "weak" bubble player in the eyes of some, I can live with that, too. I still don't/won't concede that cgecking with a narginal hand constitutes collusion, regardless how you define it.

mrrigel

mrrigel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another point...When you find yourself on the other end of this (the all in being checked down) a modest wink to the player of the opposite sex (if available) will subconsciencely make them bet with nothing under the spell of flattery.....providing you with a better shot of winning.

XXIII

XXIII

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its pretty simple. Unless the flop comes and hits you with at least 2 pair it would be smart to just check it down or until you made the nuts.

If you have it like KK and a K comes on the board feel free to bet. I can live with that.

But if you have 66 and the flop is A 9 8 and you bet and I fold my AK figuring you have trips or 2 pair I'm going to be annoyed.

Also you have hands where the All In guy is so low on chips he goes in with 3 to 4 times the BB then feel free to play it like any hand. But if he goes all in for like 10-15x the bb then play smart!