Poker Etiquette

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many times I do the 2700 person 100 dollar freerolls on full tilt and countless times i see deep in the tournament people betting the flop and turn when other people are all in. I get angry and tell them no bluffing but for the most part they just ignore me. Then later when they get everyone to fold they show some crap hand with no pair and the person all in does not get eliminated.
Is it just me or does this happen all the time?
Thoughts?

Last edited:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it happens all the time (and not just in freerolls), but no, there's no rule against it.

Deliberately checking down a hand just to increase the chances of putting a player out is probably more unethical. If you weren't going to play for the pot, why'd you get in the hand in the first place?

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well for me its just more likely that the player will be knocked out, i would rather surrender some chips for a player to be knocked out than to be bluffed out of a pot where i would have won. I dont know...I was always taught (by who? I do not know) that when someone is all in during a tournament, you just check down unless you make the nuts.

jayneseo

jayneseo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on a lot of factors. Final table it may be a good idea but if there are still a bunch of people left then play for the chips.

G

Gavinski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get angry and tell them no bluffing

LMAO.

To be fair, if I was playing against you and you said that to me, my response would have to be "who the **** do you think you are telling me how to play my hand".

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see both sides of the argument, but what would nark me would be someone presuming to tell me how to play my own hand. Why shouldn't they bluff or try to maximise their chance of winning a pot however they see fit (within the rules)?

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many times I do the 2700 person 100 dollar freerolls on full tilt and countless times i see deep in the tournament people betting the flop and turn when other people are all in. I get angry and tell them no bluffing but for the most part they just ignore me. Then later when they get everyone to fold they show some crap hand with no pair and the person all in does not get eliminated.
Is it just me or does this happen all the time?
Thoughts?
Sorry, but your playing poker, where ethics have no meaning to some, so you just have to suck it up and move on.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe its just the new age of poker where the etiquette isnt as much of a factor as it used to be, I don't know.

Maybe I am over reacting

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely over reacting. You can't tell someone how the play a hand, if I hit a 4-of-a-kind I don't care if 7 players are all in, I won't be checking the last person.....

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe its just the new age of poker where the etiquette isnt as much of a factor as it used to be, I don't know.

Maybe I am over reacting
It is understandable, I often feel the frustration, but there are those who have no ethics when it comes to online poker, but most of us here at CC have ethics.
You just can't teach a donkey ethics:) :D

mrrigel

mrrigel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No way is the checkdown a ust unless you are short handed at the final table. Technically, it's teamwork. If you tell somebody to do it in a tournement and another player forwards it to cust support you're in trouble. It's an unwritten rule that many people have expanded way past what it is truly meant for.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Technically, it's teamwork. If you tell somebody to do it in a tournement and another player forwards it to cust support you're in trouble.

Exactly - it's actually collusion. Now if neither of you say anything, and you just acknowledge some 'unwritten rule' that these hands should be checked down, then nobody can prove anything or take any action against you... but you're still colluding.

So which is more unethical - colluding, or... erm... not colluding? I think the answer's pretty clear cut.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happens more often in free rolls. A guy/girl can get away with it one time and the whole table sees they're full of crap, hence, loss of table image. Definitely not worth it in the long run. Why play dirty?
Then people start calling hands they wouldn't have against the guy and sooner or later he'll be crying about some miracle river when he gets knocked out in 8th at the final table. If he wanted to be a champion he should have played like one. Ok. Maybe it doesn't always go down like that. But its still a horrible thing to do. It's like Barry Bonds saying he rubbed "special cream" on, didn't know what it was, and then wonder why no one respects him or his "record".*

M

MississippiMud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens more often in free rolls. A guy/girl can get away with it one time and the whole table sees they're full of crap, hence, loss of table image. Definitely not worth it in the long run. Why play dirty?

I wouldn't call it playing dirty. Obviously if your on the bubble for a decent increase in prize $ then it is in everyones best interest to check down and take out the short stack. Other wise what difference does it make?

However if your focused on winning and you see an opportunity to grab some extra chips you would be nuts not to go for it. Sure you might be showing a new wrinkle in your game to the others but when you get down to crunch time you need to be able to shift gears anyway

good luck yall

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't call it playing dirty. Obviously if your on the bubble for a decent increase in prize $ then it is in everyones best interest to check down and take out the short stack.

I don't know if that assumption should go unquestioned.

The bubble is actually a fantastic time for strong players to accumulate chips, so it's not necessarily in their interests for the short stacks to bubble out. The longer they hang around, the longer they've got to steal chips off players who are folding playable hands just so they make it into the money.

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It goes beyond etuquette; it's simply a matter of sound strategy. If you go into an all in on a big draw and hit, play it fpr as much value as possible. However, bluffing into a dry side pot is bad strategy, and you look and feel stupid if you lose besides.. And no, I wouldn't consider "checkin down" collusion, just more sound strategy. Abytime you're in question, check it down; if you're pretty sure you have the best of it, play it strong.

Last edited:
M

MississippiMud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know if that assumption should go unquestioned.

The bubble is actually a fantastic time for strong players to accumulate chips, so it's not necessarily in their interests for the short stacks to bubble out. The longer they hang around, the longer they've got to steal chips off players who are folding playable hands just so they make it into the money.

good point OZ. I was referring more to later on when increases in $ are larger. Your good point can still apply right down to heads up.

Thats the beauty of poker and football. everything depends on down and distance, field position and time on the clock... and of course the score.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It goes beyond etuquette; it's simply a matter of sound strategy

But that's the thing: is it really sound strategy? Maybe, if all you're looking to do is limp into the money. But it's hardly a strong strategy.

And there's no two ways about it - whether it's verbalised or not, if two players are checking a pot down in the hope of maximising the chances of a third player being eliminated, it's collusion. Cut and dried. Whether it can be proved is the only issue.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't ever EVER EVER say "let's check it down" in chat. You will be chat banned at the very least. The defense that it was good etiquette will not fly.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i've always seen that the proper etiguette is to check down unless you improve your hand.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But that's the thing: is it really sound strategy? Maybe, if all you're looking to do is limp into the money. But it's hardly a strong strategy.

And there's no two ways about it - whether it's verbalised or not, if two players are checking a pot down in the hope of maximising the chances of a third player being eliminated, it's collusion. Cut and dried. Whether it can be proved is the only issue.

IT'S NOT EDIQUETTE! IT'S COLLUSION!

S

SiMor29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How's this for poker etiquette. . .

lonewolf134 Folds
BakerGirl Folds
kidp0ker21 Raised to 1,600
Velstrenz All In
kidp0ker21 Calls 1,457
kidp0ker21 Shows (Ah, As)
Velstrenz Shows (8d, 6d)
Dealing Flop (3c,Jc,8s)
Dealing Turn (7c)
Dealing River (8h)
Velstrenz Wins 6,114 from Pot 1 with : Three of a Kind Eights
--------------------------------------
Starting Hand #9082507-90
kidp0ker21 is the Dealer
Shuffling Cards
Velstrenz Posted Small Blind 400
FOURDEAD36 Posted Big Blind 800
Dealing Cards
You Were Dealt (Qc, 9s)
BakerGirl> wow
kidp0ker21> OMG
Rick800 Folds
SiMor29 Folds
TOADJR Folds
kidp0ker21> i cannot deal with this
lonewolf134 Folds
kidp0ker21> i hope u die in ur sleep
BakerGirl Folds
Velstrenz> thought he was just pushing me around
kidp0ker21 All In
Velstrenz Folds
FOURDEAD36 Folds
kidp0ker21 Wins 4,423 from Pot 1
kidp0ker21> fck u cok sucker
kidp0ker21 Shows (Td, 6d)
Velstrenz> lol
BakerGirl> huge suck out
kidp0ker21> i hope when u hav kids there all ****ed
Starting Hand #9082507-91
Velstrenz is the Dealer
Shuffling Cards
FOURDEAD36 Posted Small Blind 400
Rick800 Posted Big Blind 800
Dealing Cards
You Were Dealt (2c, Kh)
FOURDEAD36> stop ur crying u fcking baby
kidp0ker21> spik
SiMor29 Folds
TOADJR Folds
lonewolf134 Folds
BakerGirl Folds
Velstrenz> like you've never sucked out
kidp0ker21 Calls 800
FOURDEAD36> grow up ass
Velstrenz> get a grip man
kidp0ker21> fkc u spik
Velstrenz All In
FOURDEAD36 Folds
Rick800 Folds
kidp0ker21 Folds
Velstrenz Wins 7,714 from Pot 1
idp0ker21> dirty spik
Starting Hand #9082507-92
FOURDEAD36 is the Dealer
Shuffling Cards
Rick800 Posted Small Blind 400
SiMor29 Posted Big Blind 800
Dealing Cards
You Were Dealt (Kd, 6s)
FOURDEAD36> whaaaaaaaa whaaaaaa
TOADJR Calls 800
lonewolf134 Folds
BakerGirl Folds
kidp0ker21 Folds
Velstrenz Folds
FOURDEAD36 Folds
kidp0ker21> keep talkin four dead
FOURDEAD36> lol
BakerGirl> lol
Rick800 Calls 400
kidp0ker21> ur next out
Velstrenz> yeah no ****
SiMor29 Checks
Dealing Flop (3s,Ah,Qc)
FOURDEAD36> wut u gonna do
Rick800 Checks
FOURDEAD36> cry on me
Velstrenz> everyone sucks out sometimes
SiMor29 Checks
TOADJR Bets 1,600
Velstrenz> how long you been playing poker kidJOKER
Rick800 Folds
SiMor29 Folds
TOADJR Wins 4,000 from Pot 1
Starting Hand #9082507-93
Rick800 is the Dealer
Shuffling Cards
SiMor29 Posted Small Blind 500
TOADJR Posted Big Blind 1,000
Dealing Cards
You Were Dealt (Qc, 8d)
BakerGirl> he's right kid..it happens
kidp0ker21> long enough to kno that u going allin with 86 is the biggest donk mov i've seen in the past month
lonewolf134 Folds
kidp0ker21> u fkin spik
BakerGirl Folds
kidp0ker21 Folds
Velstrenz Folds
FOURDEAD36 Folds
Rick800 Folds
Velstrenz> i'd say sorry, but you're a d i c
SiMor29 Folds
TOADJR Wins 1,500 from Pot 1
TOADJR Rabbits (3s , Ks)
Community Cards (9s , 6c , 2s , 2h , 6s)
BakerGirl> no it was a good move...nop one showed strength
FOURDEAD36> its a 60 cent tourney u moron
kidp0ker21> id say sorry ur spanish but there has to b wetbakcs everywhere
FOURDEAD36> i'll send you a refund
FOURDEAD36> stfu
Starting Hand #9082507-94
SiMor29 is the Dealer
Shuffling Cards
TOADJR Posted Small Blind 500
lonewolf134 Posted Big Blind 1,000
Dealing Cards
You Were Dealt (6c, 4h)
Velstrenz> i'm not even mexican idiot
kidp0ker21> no thanks
BakerGirl Folds
kidp0ker21 Folds
Velstrenz Folds
FOURDEAD36 Folds
Rick800 Folds
SiMor29 Folds
TOADJR Folds
lonewolf134 Wins 1,500 from Pot 1
lonewolf134 Rabbits (Qh , Ks)
Community Cards (Jh , Kh , 7s , 8c , Tc)
kidp0ker21> so ur assuming that just because ill call u a spik and say ur spanish u have to b mexican
kidp0ker21> nice one u illterate fck
Starting Hand #9082507-95
TOADJR is the Dealer
Shuffling Cards
lonewolf134 Posted Small Blind 500
BakerGirl Posted Big Blind 1,000
Dealing Cards
You Were Dealt (5s, Th)
kidp0ker21 Folds
Velstrenz Calls 1,000
FOURDEAD36 Folds
Rick800 Folds
SiMor29 Folds
TOADJR Folds
lonewolf134 Folds
BakerGirl Checks
Dealing Flop (3s,Qh,4c)
BakerGirl Bets 1,000
Velstrenz> spik is a derogatory term for mexicans
Velstrenz Folds
BakerGirl Wins 3,500 from Pot 1
kidp0ker21> NO ITS NOT
Velstrenz> yes, it is
kidp0ker21> its a derogatory term for SPANISH PEOPLE
Starting Hand #9082507-96
lonewolf134 is the Dealer
Shuffling Cards
BakerGirl Posted Small Blind 500
kidp0ker21 Posted Big Blind 1,000
Dealing Cards
You Were Dealt (Tc, 4d)
kidp0ker21> YOU DUMB FCK

Nice guy huh?

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It goes beyond etuquette; it's simply a matter of sound strategy. If you go into an all in on a big draw and hit, play it fpr as much value as possible. However, bluffing into a dry side pot is bad strategy, and you look and feel stupid if you lose besides.. And no, I wouldn't consider "checkin down" collusion, just more sound strategy. Abytime you're in question, check it down; if you're pretty sure you have the best of it, play it strong.

^^^This.

In most tournament situations.

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Explain how bluffing into a dry side pot, post flop, is a sound play,cause I don't see that If you hit your hand, or have what looks strong compared to the board okay fine. But say, as an example, that you call a push with AKd, and the flop comes Q-6-8 all black, hpw is betting into whoever else is still in the hand a strong play? Regardless of your mindset re/ limpin v winning or whatever, all you've got with 2 cards yet to come is 2 pretty cards, no hand and no draw. I don't see where leading with it is a strong play at all. If you can get a free card, take it.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Explain how bluffing into a dry side pot, post flop, is a sound play,cause I don't see that If you hit your hand, or have what looks strong compared to the board okay fine. But say, as an example, that you call a push with AKd, and the flop comes Q-6-8 all black, hpw is betting into whoever else is still in the hand a strong play? Regardless of your mindset re/ limpin v winning or whatever, all you've got with 2 cards yet to come is 2 pretty cards, no hand and no draw. I don't see where leading with it is a strong play at all. If you can get a free card, take it.

i agree, and to call it collusion is just rediculous.