Poker As A Market Investment?

A

AceZWylD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Throughout my playing career, I have been a career loser. Not because I am not skilled at the table, but because I have never used a discipled approach to BR management and it has caught up with me each and every time. It had gotten to the point where I swore that I would never pick up another card about 10 years ago, and didn't until just recently.

After having great success in the stock market, my buddy that was around during my playing days suggested that I pick up poker again this time using my market strategy and treating my BR as my capital, each buy in as inventory, and each bet an instruction of what I want my employee to do. Needless to say, this method has proven to be quite successful for me thus far, and I am curious to hear the testimony of others who have tried this strategy.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
That is a good way to look at it in a way that relates.

I have heard of others using a military approach, with BR being your part of the battlefield, the buy ins being companies you send in to battle, and each chip is a troop. I have tried to think of the game this way, sending troops only into fights I can win. It didn't work for me.

By relating poker to something you better understand, it gives you a strategy to follow. Almost any strategy is better than going in without one.

A

AceZWylD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you. Relating it to my experience, something that I am also skilled at forces me to maintain a disciplined approach. I view everything as position, and try to find good entry and exit points at the table. I have a relatively small sample size up to this point, but the measures approach is exceeding performance expectations thus far.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Throughout my playing career, I have been a career loser. Not because I am not skilled at the table, but because I have never used a discipled approach to BR management and it has caught up with me each and every time. It had gotten to the point where I swore that I would never pick up another card about 10 years ago, and didn't until just recently.

After having great success in the stock market, my buddy that was around during my playing days suggested that I pick up poker again this time using my market strategy and treating my BR as my capital, each buy in as inventory, and each bet an instruction of what I want my employee to do. Needless to say, this method has proven to be quite successful for me thus far, and I am curious to hear the testimony of others who have tried this strategy.

Nice post.

I don't have a strategy like this, but I don't view my bankroll as expendable income like a lot of amateurs seem to do. I keep a few days worth of buy-in on a site at any one time and avoid playing buy-ins higher than I should. I don't mind re-depositing when I need to, but it's always only ever a few days worth of buy-ins. I know I can win at the level I play, so I deposit with confidence that it will come back to me once I ride out the downswing.