Playing games within an equivalent skill level range.

P

Ppoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently started playing poker online, or anywhere for that matter.

I have read various comments by players claiming the level of play in various different dollar value games is equivalent. For example: 0.25/0.50 game play style and skill level at online site X is basically the same as the $2/4 games (Strictly a figurative example).

So my question is: Provided a player is competent at a certain skill level and properly bankrolled, and notwithstanding the affects of the obvious monetary value differences, are there any reasons why such a player should not freely jump around various different dollar value games within a range encompassing an equivalent level of play? (Naturally, same type of game.)

Any reasons why he/she should?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not quite sure I understand the question... but given that you've included the "properly bankrolled" rider, I don't see what would stop you - if there's a particular game that's beyond you you'll work it out pretty quick

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well the players tend to tighten up and be a little bit less rediculous as the stakes get higher. But generally there are still a lot of idiots playin at the $100 tables just as there are in the $10 tables. I started at the $10 tables and worked up to the $100 tables without really changing the way I played at all.

Hard2Handle

Hard2Handle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think you're going to find most of the same skilled players playing the same stakes no matter what site you're searching.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If profit is your primary concern then it only really makes sense to play at the highest limit available (and that you're bankrolled for and comfortable with playing) with a given 'softness'.

What's the point in dropping down to a .50/1 game that's as tough as a 3/6 game you can play elsewhere if you're sufficiently bankrolled and comfortable with playing 3/6? I don't get it.

P

Ppoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your answers. I believe you've answered my question as asked. I have a related question and another to further clarify what I intended to ask. It is somewhat redundant, but more clear I hope.

Some of your answers lead me to the following question. Moving up a notch to a higher stakes game, which is the biggest pitfall to lookout for, overall, in general terms:
1. Players who are likely to be somewhat more skilled than the competition in the lower stakes game. (Appears not from your responses)
2. Coming up against a different type of game style, such as more aggressive or tighter, that I may not have as much practice in, having played looser, possibly less aggressive games.

For example, I've been playing at the 0.25/0.50 level fixed limit hold'em for a few weeks. In this time period I have encountered some players here and there, fortunately not too many, who'm I can tell play significantly better than me. Then there are games I play which have a much tighter, looser, passive, etc style than the average game I play.

Reason I ask is because frequently encountering 1 and 2 simultaneously, would definitely place me at a considerable disadvantage. Is the risk of running into this situation considerably higher if I move up a notch or two to higher stakes games, than what I encounter by simply playing around in different games at the same stakes level.

Last edited:
Top 10 Games