Playing with better players

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've recently had the privilege of playing in a couple of the CC Daily freerolls on ACR, and I have to say I was impressed with the experience level and play of many of the opponents in the games.

It was refreshing compared to so much crazy play in the $10 on-demand games; I felt like I could actually play my game. The experience forced me to think about what I was doing with every play and, perhaps more importantly, what each of my opponents were doing.

In short, I think playing in a field of better players made me play better and will help me improve my game quicker. Plus, it's not like I can't carry what I learn to the other freerolls. I can still take my notes along with me and play my best game, and expect a reasonable return on the investment of my time.

I can imagine that when the time is right for me to start playing some buy-in tournaments, I can expect to "level up" from playing there as well. The more seriously the game is taken by the players, the more one can leverage their skills. I think it'll work out nicely.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience. What about your experiences playing with good players? Do you agree or disagree? I'd love to hear from you all! :)

Goldog

Goldog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve been playing with worse players and it hurts my game.

AndreyMav78

AndreyMav78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can play with any players! The main thing is that they do not always go to All in.))

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the club the game is more serious than in the usual freerolls.
It is here that you can get experience from the game and learn from your mistakes.
here the players know why they are here and their actions are not foolish

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In short, I think playing in a field of better players made me play better

I agree with this, playing the on demand freerolls all day can really drain your game. After a few hours of bad hands, I find myself stooping down to the level of the other players, shoving my 10-15 BB stack with marginal hands, etc. It can be very draining playing these $10 freerolls because of how they are approached by opposing players.

It is definitely more fun to play against players who actually have a pre-flop, post-flop and 3-bet strategy, and like you said: it forces you to play at a higher level. This is why I enjoy these clubs and forums so much. They offer the opportunity of a freeroll while also the opportunity to expand and strengthen your game.

scolopin77

scolopin77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is good to play against better players at time that way you can better apply what you've learned. I can't stand playing against bingo players meaning players that shoves all-in all the time. Basic double or nothing routine so no smart betting, reading of the game etc.

Zjohnson13

Zjohnson13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've recently had the privilege of playing in a couple of the CC Daily Freerolls on ACR, and I have to say I was impressed with the experience level and play of many of the opponents in the games.

It was refreshing compared to so much crazy play in the $10 on-demand games; I felt like I could actually play my game. The experience forced me to think about what I was doing with every play and, perhaps more importantly, what each of my opponents were doing.

In short, I think playing in a field of better players made me play better and will help me improve my game quicker. Plus, it's not like I can't carry what I learn to the other freerolls. I can still take my notes along with me and play my best game, and expect a reasonable return on the investment of my time.

I can imagine that when the time is right for me to start playing some buy-in tournaments, I can expect to "level up" from playing there as well. The more seriously the game is taken by the players, the more one can leverage their skills. I think it'll work out nicely.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience. What about your experiences playing with good players? Do you agree or disagree? I'd love to hear from you all! :)

I have been playing some freerolls but also some cash games on ACR. The freerolls, if I get beat, it's usually to someone who went all in out of position with off suit 7 2 and managed to hit both cards to my pocket aces. I didn't learn anything from playing in these hands. In the cash games, however, I once found myself being the aggressor and was able to steal some decent pots. I noticed someone had a read on what I was doing, and he took advantage of me. Point is I will never do that again because someone got the better of me, I knew he would, and I did nothing to change my game. Whereas the freebuys it's anything goes each and every hand. The only real values I see from the freebuys for learning are learning how to use a HUD, calculate pot odds, equity, etc... But the deeper thinking isn't there.

V

Viktor Krysko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've recently had the privilege of playing in a couple of the CC Daily Freerolls on ACR, and I have to say I was impressed with the experience level and play of many of the opponents in the games.

I totally agree with you, so keep it. Good luck:)

D

Dontnonothin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think sometimes it is even harder to play against inexperienced or simply bad players. Often their play does not make sense, therefore all the "how to play rules" do not work. The swings also might be bigger and you might get a lot of bad beats, but in the end you will make more money than playing against good oponents. So yeah I get what you mean, you have the feeling that you play better against these oponents, but it won`t make you more money.

D

dag020709

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing with better players only makes you a stronger player

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't bet OOP to push this person off of a hand. This is one of my biggest poker leaks. Don't drink even one beer if you're in a live tournament. The deeper you get, the more likely you are going to run into better players and they will be able to help you make mistakes.

Last edited:
L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all...playin with better competition always make u play better..live poker is a better learnin experience than online...freerollin online is risky thanks darrell

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd rather play against weaker players to win more money :D

You don't get rich reg battling.