Playing against an invincible opponent. Or maybe not?

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hi all!
Poker is a game where there are elements of luck, but math and strategy play an important role here.
I know that there are robots that can show results from a distance, but I have not seen them live.

Artificial intelligence has long been able to easily beat real people in chess, racing simulators, shooters, etc.
Do you think humans stand a chance against AI in poker?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not me, that’s for sure. I win most of my money from people who make mistakes. Bots don’t make mistakes. Bots don’t get tired, frustrated or angry.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
a human is always better than any robot so I think there is always hope

N

NotADonk

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all!
Poker is a game where there are elements of luck, but math and strategy play an important role here.
I know that there are robots that can show results from a distance, but I have not seen them live.

Artificial intelligence has long been able to easily beat real people in chess, racing simulators, shooters, etc.
There is now a very good AI bot called Pluribus. Google 'Pluribus' for more info. As if online poker wasn't hard enough already :-(

Mimo..Mach

Mimo..Mach

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Of course, people have a better chance of beating robots in Poker! It is clear that the AI can calculate the probability much faster but it will always lack the "hunch" of a human and as in Poker you bet to see the future and win, well, an experienced player can face 'hand to hand ' to the AI but your advantage will be: The Hunch!

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker solvers exists, so from probability point of view it's doable to make a bot which will play optimal, the key factor in no limit though is variable betting size which can be used to successfully exploit all types of strategies.
In no limit holdem you could theoretically play with vpip 100% and still be proftable.
Limit holdem, on the other hand...

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, unfortunately there is no chance.
The main advantage of artificial intelligence in poker is the absolute absence of emotions. For this reason, technology can simply follow the strategy for a long time, while a person will be happy, upset and angry.
It's sad, but it's a fact. It’s not for nothing that there are so many complaints about alleged AI-driven accounts. Live players themselves understand that they have little chance.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If this is a bot, then it is easy to beat him using a bluff.

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
over long term bots win. Thats why their illegal

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hi all!

Somehow, I don't think bots could do as good against humans in poker as they are doing in other disciplines. In fact, bots could be unbeatable as long as logic is involved, but how could they beat a guy who calls a 3 or even a 4bet with 56 and hits 2pair or a straight ?
This is probably a very simplistic way of looking at things from me. If I am overlooking something, please let me know.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
Hi all!
poker is all about strategy, and careful planning, information gathering is key to success in poker, this is what separates the pros from the armatures, they're not invincible the have formulated a strategy that works for them

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all!

Poker has a big advantage over artificial intelligence vs exact math games. Poker is not an exact science and there will always be a way. Congratulations to the Persian sailors.😁

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course there is !
A human can be unpredictable, a computer can never calculate this.
In live poker, a computer will never beat a human.

IronMike9000

IronMike9000

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Winning at poker is more challenging than chess because it requires strategy, intuition, and reasoning based on hidden information, i think AI can beat a human more than 50% of the time in NL heads up, but it loses against more than one opponent.

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi all!

yes we have a chance yes but it is very difficult

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If poker bots learn to adjust and change strategies, then they will definitely not be defeated, and there is not a single style that could not be beaten.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this scenario, I think it is difficult to win because the bot will never involve feelings or anything like that, in addition to the advantage that it will always act mathematically correctly and the human will sooner or later have that weakness

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No point in playing against AI. Its highly unlikely to have an edge over AI.

We can learn from AI software's and tools to improve our game.