Players sitting out... strategy\like it\hate it??

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of sites you dont have to raise to get chips from a suspected sit out. Often a limp will be enough if there is no one else in the hand. Some sites will mark any sitout players but the likes of party poker doesn't.

As for someone building a big stack then sitting out being unfair on other players who get knocked out, they have earned the right to stay longer by getting a big stack in the first place.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think whoever sits with big chips makes the mistake, because in the meantime his chips only decrease and the blinds increase. A good few strong cards can also go under Sitting out. Of course you can't lose because you have a lot of chips but you won't win a tournament either. Of course, if the goal is to get close to the final table, the method is good, but I think it's better to play for a tournament win because only the first one gets the most money.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As for someone building a big stack then sitting out being unfair on other players who get knocked out, they have earned the right to stay longer by getting a big stack in the first place.

Exactly. Players sitting in can also select to nit up and fold every hand, if they want to, so there is absolutely nothing "unfair" about people sitting out.

rictor99

rictor99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know why anyone would mind this...it's free chips.

Also, this is a winning strategy if you are chip leader in a 50/50 game or a tourney where everyone gets the same prize, such as a ticket into an event.

N

Negan92222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never done it myself but I have seen people get real close to the money by doing this

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
such a strategy of the game is typical when you have a good stack and not a few players with a smaller stack, so you should not take risks.this can lead to the departure from the tournament before the players with the smallest stack without even getting into the prizes.

S

sidderaal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not good at sitting out. But it is the best strategy if you have a big stack against other big stacks near the prizes. I often think I have to play hands like AA and after that I get to be kicked out by something like 4 4 who got lucky. If you are able to lay down the AA against a big stack that is no problem. But I am not good at laying down such a big hand

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you gain a huge stack by preflop all-in gambling, it might be wise to sit-out and wait until ITM. but I think most sit-outs are due to lack of time, and have to nothing to do with a devised strategy.

Y

yago541

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like this strategy, I do it sometimes.

S

shopwert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The higher the entry fee, the less you see sitters. It’s not profitable.
Even in a freeroll, the pennies you win won’t last very long if you’re not increasing your skill by actually playing in tournaments.
Unless it’s a satellite, there’s no upside to sitting out.

S

shopwert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Other than in a satellite, I don’t understand how anyone can fold AA preflop. Go all in, yes. Fold, no.

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So Obviously we all know playing online poker there is players that will get a nice chip stack then sit out until...well... whenever they think is long enough. I can see the advantage if you have a huge stack and u can sit until the money or way past. But there is nothing more frustrating than playing and you have over double the stack of someone sitting out at your table... Players are getting eliminated and cashing less than this person sitting out. I know I shouldn't get frustrated because it's strategy and I can do the same thing if I want to. Just wondering what everybody's thoughts and opinions were on this?

Depends. If the blinds are not to big and if you are playing in a long tournament it's a good strategy. Sometimes player sit out because they are playing in other tournaments too, so they can focus better on the other one. For myself i sit out only to manage better other tables so i don't get distracted and play only premium hand and then again sit out!

O

ozrock

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wonder how many players do this out of fear that they will lose their chip stack in the process of getting into the money, and opt for a min cash to be good enough. On the other hand, it makes sense that if someone is playing in a few tournament's at the same time, they make want to concentrate on another tournament where they need to build a chip stack in order to survive the tournament.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not care. But thanks to them I can grow my stack.

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont mind if someone wins a big pot and sit out, its easy to get the chips back.

But i hate when people come back from sitting out to going all in in the same hand, its like they are watching the game waiting for that spot.

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

with a balloon to the moon
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some people just dont care too much or not have time to play all the freeroll. So they just sitout after getting a good stack to get into the money. Nothing wrong with that, i did it myself sometimes. One time i won the daily freeroll on stars after sitting out the whole first hour! Needless to say that i ran like an absolute god :)

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have no problem with it . as you say it is their strategy and we could do the same . and even though you are right that some players will get eliminated before him and cash less ....on the other hand by sitting out he misses the chance to build his stack even more ....misses many chances while sitting out . dont forget that

H

hiker5878

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sit n Go Double/Triple Up

So Obviously we all know playing online poker there is players that will get a nice chip stack then sit out until...well... whenever they think is long enough. I can see the advantage if you have a huge stack and u can sit until the money or way past. But there is nothing more frustrating than playing and you have over double the stack of someone sitting out at your table... Players are getting eliminated and cashing less than this person sitting out. I know I shouldn't get frustrated because it's strategy and I can do the same thing if I want to. Just wondering what everybody's thoughts and opinions were on this?

I can see it as a sound strategy if you go 3/4x your original stack.. You only need to finsih in top 3/4 to cash same prize as everyone else. Gives you an opportunity to hop on another one with cash in the bank on the one ur sitting out.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't understand this .I enjoy playing poker ,after all it's gambling maybe I loose ,but if I have huge stakes then my chances are better to win big ,why sit out ?

vonabruch

vonabruch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
early in his online poker career. in freerolls, chato noticed a lot of people who sit in a sit-out thought it was a profitable sit-out strategy. don't think)) fools
this strategy works only if this is a satellite for 100 tickets, well, and you have played a large enough stack that will get into these 100 places

I

ianleel

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
i know that i sit out but the only reason why i have to take dogs out there is no rule against it
it part of the game

NiallPlays

NiallPlays

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
So live on an island which is many little islands joined by cosways so I sit out on the bus home as I lose 4g when crossing the first two cosways as I work in the city and live in the country/seaside

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Sitting out is the best. Especialy in higher buy-ins