Player Rolodex - Thoughts on player notes

H

horseshoebhole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks to all who take a peek at this in advance,

I was playing completely hammered drunk the other night with a few friends.
How did we end up there? I had mentioned to a buddy that online poker was still alive and well. Yes - for U.S. Players it was a little dry but still completely possible.

Him : "There's no way that you can still win money online "
Me: "Dude... lets bring a couple more beers upstairs and I will show you all "

Head upstairs to take a peek after pouring a Greygoose / Club Soda with Lemon.

That's where things get a little fuzzy but at one point a buddy told me " That guy is bullying... how can you take notes on him "

I woke up the next morning with a banging headache -- and a word document on my desktop titled " ROLODEX OF ASSHOLES " Started to put the pieces back together and unlike other sites that i've played on in the past, Black Chip Poker has no way of keeping notes on opponents that will stick.

SO - I started apparently writing peoples names with tendencies and habits next to them.

What're your thoughts on this if you play on a site that doesn't allow notes to be taken. Do you think this is an effective strategy - being able to CTRL + F and look up somebody's name or is this a complete waste of time?

Thank you - looking forward to hearing all responses :)

L

LogyJ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First ... do not play drunk if you do not have someone with you who can stop you from stupid moves =))))

However, I personally would not be able to take notes anywhere else than on the game platform. I'm talking about tournaments in which there are a lot of people changing at the table and you are shifted between the tables. It seems to me then impossible to find information about the player in the tone of notes. But when you play on single table - then you should take notes anywhere =)

H

horseshoebhole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First ... do not play drunk if you do not have someone with you who can stop you from stupid moves =))))

However, I personally would not be able to take notes anywhere else than on the game platform. I'm talking about tournaments in which there are a lot of people changing at the table and you are shifted between the tables. It seems to me then impossible to find information about the player in the tone of notes. But when you play on single table - then you should take notes anywhere =)

I agree with you Logy. I'm going to continue to try it out in the mean time... even for MTT's just to see if I can pull any nuggets out on people. May be futile but I figure it's worth a shot if I can just type down some things quickly. Typing 115wpm helps a ton. Thank you public school system for making me take typing classes when I was young :)

G

goodsaint

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find it unusual not to be able to take notes on someone. As I don't use a HUD, note taking is a basic requirement of mine. It's proved beneficial to me many times in MTTs. I would do the same as you if the site didn't provide note taking ability.

onione6ix

onione6ix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should always be taking notes. Mentally or on paper. Once you have solid notes and stats on a player pool. You can at the very least isolate the best players in your pool. Watch out for them. Focus on the donks avoid the dangerous players . Get calling stations in pots heads up and punish them.

Last edited:
ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its useful to take notes however I've rarely encountered more than one or two of the players I take notes on in any subsequent tournament
so the frequency of engaging the same players should be taken into account....