Player Notes

D

D1enonli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am starting to compile notes on players when I'm playing MTT and I'm wondering what types of habits I should be documenting. Here's a list of the things I'm saving:

- When (position) and how often a player bluffs
- Range when risking all-in after late registration closes
-Aggressiveness
-How they play AA,KK,AK
-How they play lower pairs, specifically 44,33,22

Am I focusing on the wrong things?:eek:

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're off to a good start here, and really, it comes down to identifying tendencies (as best you can). So, for example, if someone limps pre a lot, that could be noted.

It really comes down to what you want to know about a player and only you'll figure out what kind of notetaking will work best for you, because different information works for different people. You could also note the buyin levels they play at (if you're playing cash games), if they are a multi-tabler.

One that you mentioned that I'd like to discuss is "Range when risking all-in after late-reg", if you see them calling all-ins very frequently, you can pick up on things like:
Kinds of hands they call with (and you can further elaborate on that - IE: Tendency to call with Ax).
Bet sizing
Do they like to see lots of flops
Tendencies when playing draws

Hope this is helpful.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am starting to compile notes on players when I'm playing MTT and I'm wondering what types of habits I should be documenting. Here's a list of the things I'm saving:

-Aggressiveness
-How they play AA,KK,AK

Why are you doing this? There are a lot of players. The chances that you will play with this player is not so much? Another thing is if this is an SS tournament, then make any notes. What should I record? Write down what should help you?

Q

Qrise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t think it will be useful, in each tournament the same player can play differently.

G

greenman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

-Aggressiveness
-How they play AA,KK,AK

ARE YOU WINNING ? IF SO DONT CHANGE A THING.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play mostly cash games and make notes on players that open or 3bet outside of a normal range for their position (open raising 910s UTG in a 9 man cash game)That way I can take account of it for when I playing them and put them on a better range that contains those types of hands.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my main note on a weak player when he plays a large number of hands and frankly rubbish
a lot of bluffs with these hands

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am taking note because this information is very valuable for each game, it helps me guide me at the tables

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my early days of poker used to take players notes. Just do not do it anymore. For me it's a wast of time. I prefer to concentrate what they're doing or acting at the table when I playing. But many times I recall one player or another and their kind of notorious actions in previous matches.

zvezdadelije

zvezdadelije

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good information. However, at times I find it that certain types of players will on purposely mix it up. So, if you have notes that their 3bet range is within 2%, they may expand this depending on the scenario.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In my early days of poker used to take players notes. Just do not do it anymore. For me it's a wast of time. I prefer to concentrate what they're doing or acting at the table when I playing. But many times I recall one player or another and their kind of notorious actions in previous matches.

Exactly.

I am sure at higher levels this information might be useful, but at the levels I play I found it a colossal waste of time and a distraction.

Most players in the tourneys I play in regularly are predictable - they are either sensible or overtly agressive. They are not playing ranges. They are simply using cliched strategies to both good and bad effect.

The aggressive ones play far too many hands, raise silly amounts and will C bet like a banshee til the river. Your choice is to whether or not to enter the por with a good enough hand.

So now I do little more than color code a player as being habitually aggro.

As regards anything else, I feel you should be able to pick up within an orbit or two how an unfamiliar player is playing - but as others have noted, if it is a player with some skills then they are not going to be plauing in a predicable manner anyway.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

-Aggressiveness
-How they play AA,KK,AK

Personally, I focus more on making notes about his style of play for example: loose aggressive, loose passive, donkeys, maniacs, attackers on the flop, bluff player.
Those notes are the ones that I use the most in this type of player. I mark the regular players with a color to differentiate them from the rest.