Play Styles for different days of the week

A

aj88xa869

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a question for the regular players, those that don't just play on weekends or after work, but at any and all times of the day/week.

Is there a big difference in how tight you play during a weekday morning vs the weekend at prime time?

I obviously assume the better and more experienced regs will be playing a lot more often during the weekday than the recreational gamblers that only have time after 4-5pm or on weekend.

shane4050

shane4050

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually find it easier through the week as i usually have played with the regs at the table and can adjust my play accordingly, i really only grind the micros on 888 and pokerstars tho

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play on Saturday and Sunday morning because he has a lot of non-regular player who plays poker. we are more likely not to meet good players at this time of the week and achieve better results.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see the point in changing my styles depending on the time of day. This will lead to swings. It's more important to know who's at your table.

shane4050

shane4050

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see the point in changing my styles depending on the time of day. This will lead to swings. It's more important to know who's at your table.

I do have to agree that its more important to know whos sitting at the table with you. I like to observe cash games every once in awhile and take notes on certain regs for when i jump in etc

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely not. I play the same, whether it's a sit and go, or a tournament. Any day of the week, daytime, nighttime, or wee hours of the morning. Whether it's a $1.50 sng, or $15. Cheap $1 tournament, or a $33 dollar tournament.

A

aj88xa869

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually find it easier through the week as i usually have played with the regs at the table and can adjust my play accordingly, i really only grind the micros on 888 and pokerstars tho

very interesting! thanks for the input

I try to play a little tighter on the weekends, but it doesnt always wok out so well lol

That's funny I find myself doing the opposite and loosening up a slight bit on weekend.

I do have to agree that its more important to know whos sitting at the table with you. I like to observe cash games every once in awhile and take notes on certain regs for when i jump in etc

I agree with both of you that is of utmost importance! I am an avid note taker and very often run into players that have past notes. I plan on buying a HUD soon

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
The only difference in my game is when I play after I come from work or before I go to work and it is a game against me due to fatigue and haste. I have no problems with the days of the week.

shane4050

shane4050

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very interesting! thanks for the input

That's funny I find myself doing the opposite and loosening up a slight bit on weekend.

I agree with both of you that is of utmost importance! I am an avid note taker and very often run into players that have past notes. I plan on buying a HUD soon

Before you invest in a hud make sure to use the various free trials before you purchase as you make like some better then others, for first time hud user i was using poker co pilot. Ended up getting 2 months use out of it by putting my computer in sleep mode instead of turning it off lol.

P

pacificatorul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My advice is to adjust your game considerig the players on your table, not the moment of the day, or the day of the week. Also a good point to consider is that recreational players usually play after they come home from work or on the weekend. The other players mostly are regs, playing more pro poker. Gl!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its true, that there are some general tendencies in, how online games tend to play at certain times of the day and week. This probably also depend on the site, but for western facing sites like PokerStars, 888 Poker or partypoker its fairly similar, because the global distribution of the player pool is similar.

And in general the games tend to be tightest with least recreational players in the European daytime hours. Which mean the night, if you are situated in North or South America and the evening, if you are in Asia. So generally this is the worst time of day to play. Its up for debate, if weekends are really that much better than working days. I sometimes dont notice that much of a difference to be honest. And sometimes European evening hours on working days are not all that great either.

Maybe this is because, I play the micros, where a lot of regulars are not full time pros. So they also come on to the sites, when they are not working. Like myself. The European night time or early morning hours generally seem to be best. But if you are in Europe, you might still want to spend those hours sleeping.

Anyways to me there is no point in adjusting your play to a particular time of day. You need to look at the actual table, you are on. And for cash games, if the table has only tight regulars, there is no need to stay. So I just leave. And if I cannot find good cash tables, which does happen, then I simply dont play. Or I chill out with some SnGs instead.

For tournaments you have to take, what you get. And generally the adjustment, you want to make, is to play tighter against very loose players, bluff them less and value bet more lightly. Ideally you want to play against loose splashy players, but in tournaments they can also be a little bit frustrating, because they increase your variance.